Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st October 2017, 14:36   #41
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The primary source of aircon smells is the evaporator matrix. This part of the system is continuously wet/damp in any car that has aircon on all year round. The matrix eventually gets coated in a bacterial slime that smells like a sewer (it's basically the same thing). To get rid of the pong, you have to get rid of the slime and the best way to do that is to tackle the matrix as directly as possible using a detergent/bactericidal foam. The best route is up the condensate drains under the car. Good quality aerosol cleaners have a long injection pipe to get the foam directly into the evaporator housing. The foam loosens to slime which dribbles out of the drains. You don't need to put foams into the vents or ducts because that's not where the problem lies. Also, the recirculating air bomb type deodorants used in the cab are only a temporary solution and can't affect the slime.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 15:14   #42
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The primary source of aircon smells is the evaporator matrix. This part of the system is continuously wet/damp in any car that has aircon on all year round. The matrix eventually gets coated in a bacterial slime that smells like a sewer (it's basically the same thing). To get rid of the pong, you have to get rid of the slime and the best way to do that is to tackle the matrix as directly as possible using a detergent/bactericidal foam. The best route is up the condensate drains under the car. Good quality aerosol cleaners have a long injection pipe to get the foam directly into the evaporator housing. The foam loosens to slime which dribbles out of the drains. You don't need to put foams into the vents or ducts because that's not where the problem lies. Also, the recirculating air bomb type deodorants used in the cab are only a temporary solution and can't affect the slime.

TC
I agree with T cut but i put mine down th middle vents with th long tube thats with it. Bit of a faff as it tries to go up th window vents but its not impossible. This gets all th way to th evap and fills it. I used this from Micks place but now discontinued.

See vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTG0ltP6nfs

I did this 3 years ago and was brilliant. This year as i was going on hols i thought id repeat a dose even though it didnt smell. i tried to get th same product but wasnt able too. So i had this instead i bought this 500mil can. More about 500 mil latter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomb-FRESH-...emove+Odor+Set

I dont use th sanitizer as that only masks th smell not killing th bacteria, IMHO.

Sadly i put in th full tin in (this is th 500 mil i was on about) It filled all th vent tubes. This then turned back to a liquid and dripped out of th side vent tube onto th LSM. Causing a bit of a short. It also cleared out th evap drain holes.

Conclusion.

Its upto you which way you go with tube. Either top vent or up th evap drain holes (this will also check to see if they are blocked) but what i do suggest is ONLY put 250 mill in at any one time.. As a 38 wire re soldering job and new LSM may be on its way...

Ps,

I didnt go on holiday in my car this year.... Ya live n learn dont ya..
Old 21st October 2017, 16:10   #43
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Default Thanks for that

Quick replies much appreciated.
Think I'll look for the Einszett klima cleaner mentioned early in the thread. Sorry that you had the problem shorting your LSM when using the 500ml of product... Hopefully your experience will help others avoid that outcome.
I think T-Cut is right when saying the way to go would be to inject the product through the air con drain hole and that would be my preferred route.

Not a high priority job for me but will let you know how I get on when I attempt this.
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 18:24   #44
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Is there anything very different about the 75's airconditioning system? I had a Rover 600 with ac for 7years and apart from normal annual servicing I had nothing done to it and it was fine. I ask as I have a 54plate MGZT sport se etc. and its just had the AC serviced etc. and I hope for the same troublefree life as the 600. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 19:22   #45
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Default Update

Seems to have done the trick, no cabbage smell when operating the air con.

Bought K2 PRO KLIMA DOKTOR A/C cleaner via Amazon for around £8 (500ml) as my preferred foam and quantity was not available. Decided to apply direct to evaporator through the held ajar side panel ( 4 screws hold this ) behind the passenger side upper carpet piece of the centre console. This came off easily after the removal of the air vent which was held by one screw.

Had gauged how much foam came out by releasing some into a bucket, the evaporator housing is not that big a space and I didn't want to overfill it.

Put the tube in around six inches and GENTLY pressed the top to expel foam. slowly drew the tube out as I continued pressing. As the foam became visible on the open left side of the housing I stopped withdrawing the tube and gave it a wee bit more foam before removing the tube and replacing the side panel.

Will see how long it lasts, just glad not to have the smell of cabbage / wet dog when the demist comes on. Thanks to all for giving advice and sharing experience.

Last edited by bigblue75; 30th October 2017 at 19:27..
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:19   #46
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Last night I repeated the disinfecting process i first did in October. I'd noticed a slight musty odour when I ran the air-con on lo and recirculation settings.
Today the car smelt fresh again. Never had air conditioning before and have tried to run it at least fifteen minutes a week whatever time of year, appreciate it when the weather is this good and found it great for demisting in winter. With a decent summer overdue thought it was a good time to bring this thread into view.
Old 23rd May 2018, 19:14   #47
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Coincidentally I had my aircon regassed today and the fitter sold me Wurth Disinfectant Spray. I wasn't sure where to access the evaporator so found this thread an informative read.
Having just read the instructions on the can access via condensation drain is the given instruction, mines never been done in the 6 years I have owned the car so get this done tomorrow and I will look forward to breathing in fresh clean air!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 08:10   #48
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Coincidentally I had my aircon regassed today and the fitter sold me Wurth Disinfectant Spray. I wasn't sure where to access the evaporator so found this thread an informative read.
Having just read the instructions on the can access via condensation drain is the given instruction, mines never been done in the 6 years I have owned the car so get this done tomorrow and I will look forward to breathing in fresh clean air!
Good luck and let us know your out come.

Try to use about 250ml. Mine is still working a treat n no smell..
Old 24th May 2018, 12:09   #49
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Is there anything very different about the 75's airconditioning system? I had a Rover 600 with ac for 7years and apart from normal annual servicing I had nothing done to it and it was fine. I ask as I have a 54plate MGZT sport se etc. and its just had the AC serviced etc. and I hope for the same troublefree life as the 600. Chris.S.
the only difference i you may find is the 600 one may work .as despite replacing most of my system it does nothing.my advice is unless you are travelling to a hot climate.is if it needs more than a regas is leave it alone.and open the window instead.
Old 24th May 2018, 17:55   #50
jondonwar
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon connoisseur se cdti

Hi just bought a can of this from ebay same brand as you recommened , is there any danger of this getting into electric connectors behind the dash ?, as phil the barrow sad he had to re solder 38 wires as a short caused problems , im weary of using the stuff now after ordering £15.15 for the can ,thanks for posting regards john

Last edited by jondonwar; 24th May 2018 at 18:04..
jondonwar is offline   Reply With Quote