Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2020, 09:52   #11
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Boot seal cross section

Does anyone have a photo or a technical drawing of the boot seal? I'm not sure mine is the genuine thing which may explain why water's getting in when it rains. It just doesn't sit right and even looks like it's been fitted the wrong way round as the tube vent holes are on the outside!

I've done all the usual fixes (silicone sealant on the window fixings, coachline trim, new light seals) and they all now seem fine. Even done the silicone on the seal itself, but it's still getting in.

Was thinnking about contacting some trim suppliers to see what they've got, as £86 at Rimmer's is a bit steep for my money, but I need to know what the cross section is supposed to be.
Thanks!

Last edited by FrattonEnder; 6th October 2020 at 13:58..
FrattonEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 19:55   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Does anyone have a photo or a technical drawing of the boot seal? I'm not sure mine is the genuine thing which may explain why water's getting in when it rains. It just doesn't sit right and even looks like it's been fitted the wrong way round as the tube vent holes are on the outside!

I've done all the usual fixes (silicone sealant on the window fixings, coachline trim, new light seals) and they all now seem fine. Even done the silicone on the seal itself, but it's still getting in.

Was thinnking about contacting some trim suppliers to see what they've got, as £86 at Rimmer's is a bit steep for my money, but I need to know what the cross section is supposed to be.
Thanks!
I would not really expect the seal, to need to seal that well, because there is a lip and gutter all the way around under the boot lid.

Have you tried getting in the boot, with a torch and have someone spray a hose around the area to see where it might be getting in?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 11:50   #13
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quite a few posts on here have recommended silicone sealing the seal, Harry, so I gave it a whirl. It's to try and prevent capillary action if the seal beading isn't quite as tight as it should be.
Being well over 6 foot tall and far too corpulent for my own good, does make squeezing myself in the boot, even with the back seat down a little tricky.
Next plan is the old Edd China trick with some talc liberally dusted around. That and actually trying the thing the right way round - took a look last night and a previous owner has fitted it all twisted!

Well and interesting lunchbreak just had - refitting the boot seal the right way round! Looks like it had been accidentally knocked off at some point and refitted inside out. The inner lip, which should run over the plastic boot lock slam panel and side finishers was on the outside and the outer lip that seals in the rain channel around the boot aperture as on the inside. Now, as this seal has been the wrong way round for at least 3 years, it'll take a bit of time to settle in to being the right way round again, but let's see what tonights forecast rain does. Towels are in the boot ready and all carpets and side finishers are already out. It already loks like it's sitting correctly with no kinks in the tubular piece as there were before. Fingers crossed!

The rain came down on this cold grey town as promised on Wednesday night and the boot stayed dry. I'm not going to count any chickens just yet as, according to the forecast, we're not due any decent rain for a couple of weeks. Will hang fire on refitting the boot carpet and finishers until we've had a proper throw down.

Last edited by FrattonEnder; 9th October 2020 at 12:42.. Reason: Update after recent rain
FrattonEnder is offline   Reply With Quote