Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd November 2020, 09:54   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
I was having the same problem with my Diesel, would die after a couple of days I put this down to lack of use, so trickle charged the battery and fitted a battery isolator, no further problems so far.

Rev
I would be more inclined to look at a duff battery and then battery drain. My cars will sit for a few weeks and still start

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:36   #12
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
I was having the same problem with my Diesel, would die after a couple of days I put this down to lack of use, so trickle charged the battery and fitted a battery isolator, no further problems so far.

Rev
Like that idea. Think I'll try it on my 2011 Transit. The battery is definitely good, but something is draining it. Not had time to run any proper checks yet. Alternator voltage is 14.5 on tickover and the battery didn't drain when disconnected and was at 12.6 v. Connected and it lasts just over a week
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:45   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Another common source of battery drain on a diesel that hasn't been mentioned so far is the glowplug relay. If you find that there's still a significant current being drawn after more than 10 minutes or so of shutting down the car then might be worth checking there as well (IIRC it's underneath the ECU so gets wet before the ECU does.)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 10:15   #14
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Another common source of battery drain on a diesel that hasn't been mentioned so far is the glowplug relay. If you find that there's still a significant current being drawn after more than 10 minutes or so of shutting down the car then might be worth checking there as well (IIRC it's underneath the ECU so gets wet before the ECU does.)

Ooo, that's a thought. We did have some pretty biblical rain at the end of last week which could have overwhelmed the plenum drains and caused the glow plug relay to get its feet wet. I haven't noticed any water ingress to the car through the air intake, but then again, I can't currently get in the passenger side and the driver's access is severely limited... need to get her moved to have a root around.

That's another one for the check list!
Old 4th November 2020, 11:13   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
The power consumption of four glow plugs is probably around 60 amps.------The battery would go down like a punctured balloon.--------------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 11:26   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Like that idea. Think I'll try it on my 2011 Transit. The battery is definitely good, but something is draining it. Not had time to run any proper checks yet. Alternator voltage is 14.5 on tickover and the battery didn't drain when disconnected and was at 12.6 v. Connected and it lasts just over a week
14.5 volts on tick over is good.-----However you have to leave the battery an hour or two before you check the voltage. It is surprising how the voltage drops if your battery is not up to scratch.

Also driving about in an attempt to put some juice back into your battery is the very worst way to do it.

24 hours on a charger against 24 hours driving around.

The charger might cost you £1.00 and driving around to put the same amount of electricity into your battery might cost you £200.00 depending on how economic your car is on fuel.

A battery charger and an alternator put out, maybe, about the same amount of electricity. In the region of 3 to 5 amps.

The alternator is regulated. If you put on everything electrical in your car the alternator balances this then adds 5 amps.--This is stop the battery from over heating and boiling the electrolyte off.---
Old 4th November 2020, 11:32   #17
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The power consumption of four glow plugs is probably around 60 amps.------The battery would go down like a punctured balloon.--------------

Sounds likely then. I can normally leave her for a week and she'll fire up first time without any issues. The downpour we had Wednesday/Thursday last week probably overwhelmed the plenum drains (cleaned out in September) and caused the relay to get damp.

Thinking about it, both times she's munched the battery after about 10 days is when there's been heavy rain. Plenum drains were well blocked on the first time.

Must remember to use the car cover if I'm planning on leaving her standing for any time now. Problem is, this time wasn't planned...
Old 4th November 2020, 11:43   #18
Tom260

2004 Pearl Black MG ZT 260 and 1999 Japan Spec Wedgewood Blue Rover 75

I recently bought a solar charger from the AA which connects to the OBD socket as my battery died after leaving for an extended period. So far with little use it still starts on the button and seems to keep the battery topped up. Cost about £30 so not bad as I got fed up shelling out £120+ each time the battery died. Oh and I also checked for parasitic drain which is a must if you have a regular flattening of your battery. Mine was the Highline tv and satnav system killing the battery.
Tom260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 11:51   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom260 View Post
I recently bought a solar charger from the AA which connects to the OBD socket as my battery died after leaving for an extended period. So far with little use it still starts on the button and seems to keep the battery topped up. Cost about £30 so not bad as I got fed up shelling out £120+ each time the battery died. Oh and I also checked for parasitic drain which is a must if you have a regular flattening of your battery. Mine was the Highline tv and satnav system killing the battery.
I've been using one of those for at least 4 years now. Seems to do the job OK as I get around 12.6 volts every time I do a random check of the battery.

There are some on the market now that can even charge in low light.

I'm OK though as I live in France and I think we get a bit more sunshine per annum here.---
Old 4th November 2020, 12:28   #20
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom260 View Post
Got one of those, so I'll have to dig it out. Mine plugs into the lighter socket. As it's permanently live, it's designed to top the battery up that way.
Need to get the battery charged up first!