Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2020, 14:32   #1
Mogwyth

MG ZT-T 190

Default Little oil leak

When I say little its pi55ing out. I believe it the cam shaft seal, standing in front of the car rear left under the vis motors. Do I fear the worst or is there an easy fix?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camshaft.jpg (65.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 12th December 2020, 17:40   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwyth View Post
When I say little its pi55ing out. I believe it the cam shaft seal, standing in front of the car rear left under the vis motors. Do I fear the worst or is there an easy fix?
Certainly looks like a seal on its way out perhaps over-pressurisation within the engine. You should be able to remove and fit a new one but I'd recommend checking the cam cover filters and making sure the pin hole breathers are free (usually aren't). Clean any spilt oil taking special care around the cam belt, if contaminated don't drive it, replace it - cheaper than a scrapped engine (as I know too well).

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2020, 18:02   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwyth View Post
When I say little its pi55ing out. I believe it the cam shaft seal ...
Hello Bill,

Whatever you have there doesn't look anything like the OEM camshaft end caps that are fitted to my KV6.

This might explain why you have a leak.

Simon
Old 12th December 2020, 18:11   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Bill,

Whatever you have there doesn't look anything like the OEM camshaft end caps that are fitted to my KV6.

This might explain why you have a leak.

Simon

Simon, noticed that too but it's quite common now I believe to fit oil seals rather than cam caps. I chose them myself when I did my daughter's V6 earlier this year in the hope that the seals would be less likely to pop than the original cam caps.

Mike
Old 12th December 2020, 18:28   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Simon, noticed that too but it's quite common now I believe to fit oil seals rather than cam caps. I chose them myself when I did my daughter's V6 earlier this year in the hope that the seals would be less likely to pop than the original cam caps.
Hi Mike,

Yes agreed, I have also noticed the trend to fitting non-standard oil seals. I've seen a KV6 with these and the exposed ends of the camshafts were rusty. I was not impressed.

The proper end caps fitted at the factory don't "pop". When removed for cambelt renewal these are often discarded. New end caps are extremely difficult to fit with the engine in-situ. The evidence suggests that it's faulty fitment of these which results in them "popping".

The answer is to remove the originals with great care and re-use them. I've done this with one of mine two and a half years ago and it's still in place!

Simon
Old 12th December 2020, 19:34   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Yes agreed, I have also noticed the trend to fitting non-standard oil seals. I've seen a KV6 with these and the exposed ends of the camshafts were rusty. I was not impressed.

The proper end caps fitted at the factory don't "pop". When removed for cambelt renewal these are often discarded. New end caps are extremely difficult to fit with the engine in-situ. The evidence suggests that it's faulty fitment of these which results in them "popping".

The answer is to remove the originals with great care and re-use them. I've done this with one of mine two and a half years ago and it's still in place!

Simon
"Don't pop" - they most certainly do. Perhaps not in UK as much as here but one winter I heard of three cases, all when the temperature was below minus 20c. Two of the owners were lucky, the third not so and his engine was wrecked. My daughter's first Tourer came to an untimely end due to a cap popping and that was during the summer. All four cases due to poor workmanship? Hardly likely, and I know the one that was wrecked was worked on by a dealership mechanic with 30 odd years of experience. It was the same mechanic who helped me fit the seals by using an old cam cap to press the replacement seals in place.

I believe it was Lovel who suggested that the seals were less likely to pop than the caps - this is the first time I've heard of a seal on its way out but not at all uncommon to hear of cam cap loss.

Mike
Old 12th December 2020, 19:52   #7
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
"Don't pop" - they most certainly do. Perhaps not in UK as much as here but one winter I heard of three cases, all when the temperature was below minus 20c. Two of the owners were lucky, the third not so and his engine was wrecked. My daughter's first Tourer came to an untimely end due to a cap popping and that was during the summer. All four cases due to poor workmanship? Hardly likely, and I know the one that was wrecked was worked on by a dealership mechanic with 30 odd years of experience. It was the same mechanic who helped me fit the seals by using an old cam cap to press the replacement seals in place.

I believe it was Lovel who suggested that the seals were less likely to pop than the caps - this is the first time I've heard of a seal on its way out but not at all uncommon to hear of cam cap loss.

Mike
The lip seals would be less likely to pop due to the smaller surface area, however the problem with them is that they are not protected and would be more prone to picking up dirt and failing, whereas the caps are a better bet IMO if fitted correctly. -20 excepted.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2020, 20:49   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks for the confirmation. I'm less worried about a bit of surface corrosion than the thought of litres of oil gushing out. I suppose I could always paint the ends, but then in 6 years it's time again.

Things got so bad up here with these caps that the local mechanic engineered his own holding brackets to prevent them popping, I have them fitted to my V6.

Keep well

ps. Seem to recall you were asking about SD1 manual gear knobs, at the time I couldn't find any but just the other day found five, all new I believe if you still require one.

Last edited by vitesse; 12th December 2020 at 20:58..
Old 12th December 2020, 22:44   #9
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:

Simon
I support this view , having replaced the caps a number of times for new belts or cylinder head work and never yet had a failure afterwards . They are very awkward to fit in-situ and I have seen some very off-square examples of replacement , but if care is taken and the results are checked for full and square insertion then they will be fine .
I have also used some non-factory makes ; they have been ok so far but poor quality of parts is becoming a problem generally !
Old 12th December 2020, 22:46   #10
Mogwyth

MG ZT-T 190

Thanks for all the comments.

If I am looking at this right Rimmers show a seal not a cap in that position. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001711

Any tips to fitting a replacement or is just a matter of tapping it in using a suitable tool to keep it even.