Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2020, 12:38   #1
SteveTD
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Default ZT 260 MOT fail - SRS light & handbrake

Chaps

Old 866 has failed her MOT due to:
1. Driver's door cannot be opened from inside the vehicle (6.2.3 (a))
2. Supplementary restraint system warning lamp indicates a fault (7.1.6 (a))
3. Parking brake lever has excessive movement indicating incorrect adjustment (1.1.6 (c))
The garages says:
1. Cable has snapped and will need to be repaired? Are new cables available? I'm not sure how this would be repaired?!
2. SRS light on - are new connectors available?
3. New shoes to see if that resolves the matter - handbrake cables NLA. Is this correct? What is everyone else doing?

Any advice/input much appreciated.
Steve
SteveTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 17:55   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Think your plea might receive more attention in the 260s section, perhaps a mod can move it?

Sorry don’t know anything about the V8s, never even seen one but …

Snapped cable? Unusual but possible I suppose - new ones here: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ZUA000860
SRS problems are usually, on the other models, due to the underseat connections, lots of info in the search, perhaps the same even with your 260?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 20:09   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTD View Post
Chaps

Old 866 has failed her MOT due to:
3. Parking brake lever has excessive movement indicating incorrect adjustment (1.1.6 (c))
The garages says:
1. Cable has snapped and will need to be repaired? Are new cables available? I'm not sure how this would be repaired?!
2. SRS light on - are new connectors available?
3. New shoes to see if that resolves the matter - handbrake cables NLA. Is this correct? What is everyone else doing?

Any advice/input much appreciated.
Steve
likely be the cable or cable related - take the door card off to be sure (assuming that it opens from the outside.

search the forum for airbag light on and take your pick lol. The most common issue is under the driver's seat plugs. Often unplugging them and replugging them in clears it (make sure you disconnect the fuse for at least 30 minutes to be on the safe side). It may also be the crash sensors under the carpet. A T4 session should be able to diagnose the source.

I believe the compensator is the same on the V8 as on the rest of our cars. I would check this out first, and follow the correct adjustment procedure regarding the shoes (I dont know the layout of the V8 shoes so do not know this - but investigate the compensator before paying out for cables and shoes)

The garages says:
1. Cable has snapped and will need to be repaired? Are new cables available? I'm not sure how this would be repaired?! - cables snapping is quite rare on any car, but I would check this personally (mainly because of the 3rd point)
2. SRS light on - are new connectors available? any garage worth their salt would be able to fashion new connections in some shape or form, but needs checked first
3. New shoes to see if that resolves the matter - handbrake cables NLA. Is this correct? What is everyone else doing? 'to see if that resolves the matter' even though they say the cable has snapped and are no longer available???? hmmmm 'the cable has snapped, but we will fit new shoes and see if it fixes the problem' I would be looking at a new garage if they said that, without investigating and saying earlier that the cable had snapped. They sound like they are hoping you will open your wallet whilst they claim to fit parts in the hope you wont check or question them.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 14th December 2020 at 20:16..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 20:24   #4
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I also am not familiar with the 260s in detail , but I would expect that the body and basic mechanics have much in common with the other 75s .
This being the case ;
1. I am thinking that the reference to a broken cable refers to the door handle mechanism , rather than the brakes ? Removing the door card will reveal the linkage at both ends and the interconnecting cable to see if it has actually broken or just become disconnected .
2. The SRS light is usually a result of dirty connectors under the seat , and they can be replaced with any sort of connector or even soldered . Try just disconnecting and reconnecting a few times to clean them up . Also however , it is often the result of a side-impact sensor failure under the carpet at the rear of the passenger seat . Bit of a pig to get at but if it is found to be wet or even corroded , quite common , then this may be your problem .
3. Now I'm not sure if the 260 rear brakes are the same as other 75s , but I don't see why not . If so , it is not likely to be a snapped cable ; you could moor a ship with those things ! Next , the handbrake shoes do not tend to wear out as they are only used when the car comes to rest . Your lack of adjustment is likely to be exactly that - they need adjusting at the wheel drums .
If I have got anything wrong with the above because the 260 is different then I apologise for that , but will be interested to hear about it if a 260 expert comes along . Good luck
Old 14th December 2020, 20:28   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The handbrake cable won't have stretched, an adjustment (or replacement of the handbrake shoes should have you sorted)
Old 14th December 2020, 20:29   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I also am not familiar with the 260s in detail , but I would expect that the body and basic mechanics have much in common with the other 75s .
This being the case ;
1. I am thinking that the reference to a broken cable refers to the door handle mechanism , rather than the brakes ? Removing the door card will reveal the linkage at both ends and the interconnecting cable to see if it has actually broken or just become disconnected .
of course! In that case, cables snapping is quite common (although I havent read of it being common on our cars - but have had it happen on a couple of cars in the past Renault and VW)

but I would still stand by my thoughts on point 3 lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 20:32   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Cable is this part

LINK

The cast aluminium hook which attaches to the interior door handle will have snapped.

This can be repaired with care, there have been many how too guides produced by Arctic, worth having a look

SRS, likely to be a case of a squirt of contact cleaner and a few plug unplug cycles with the ignition turned off with each connector in turn.

Handbrake, replace the compensator with a one from a R50 Mini

You only need the compensator and cable, but this is cheap enough for the whole shooting match.

LINK

It is unlikely the cables will be stretched, much more likely the compensator to be at fault.

Finally if you need handbrake shoes iirc Peugeot 607 are the same as the 260, but it's been a while so don't quote me.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 01:39   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Stephen.
For the door handle not opening first check this below.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...54&postcount=7

Handbrake will most likely be the Compensator.

SRS light on connectors under the seats try unplugging them use contact cleaner, add a little smear of vaseline and reconnect see if the light goes out.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote