Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2021, 21:20   #11
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Only with the engine running.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 00:47   #12
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Have done all that, so it will fire up automatically without the remote once it drops below 5.

Rev.
If you use a remote to switch it on it doesn’t matter what the temperature is as it will fire up and stay on until you either switch it off or it ramps down around 71c

Used a a supplementary and with temp at 5 or below as Mike says it will only come on when the engine is running

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 07:31   #13
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
If you use a remote to switch it on it doesn’t matter what the temperature is as it will fire up and stay on until you either switch it off or it ramps down around 71c

Used a a supplementary and with temp at 5 or below as Mike says it will only come on when the engine is running
Unless you short it out, surely Rob?

Martyn.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 11:42   #14
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Unless you short it out, surely Rob?

Martyn.
If you mean a problem with the wiring on the car shorts the circuit then yes it can come on in those circumstances but if everything is working ok it wont just switch on if the temp is 5 or below unless the engine is started

Robs Car Gallery

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 5th February 2021 at 11:52..
Old 5th February 2021, 16:13   #15
squire
Posted a thing or two

Question

Rob,
Used as supplementary heater I've got a wire which is earthed and I put the outer end into pin 3 to get the fbh to fire up. If I left that connected would the fbh fire up again once the water temp drops? I thought it would run continuesly as it's "bypass".

Martyn
Old 5th February 2021, 18:56   #16
trebor
This is my second home

Hi Martyn , I see where you are coming from now ,but you are not shorting it out you are using pin 3 which is where the remote wire goes for use as a parking heater

That puts you in control so the heater will be on when you populate pin 3 and off when you disconnect it.

It will continue to run whilst pin 3 is populated whether the car is parked up or if the engine is running whilst parked or you are on a journey but note that:

Once the heater gets the coolant to 71c it goes into part load so will ramp down and still work using less fuel , when the temp gets to 77c it then goes into idle mode ready to come back on when needed.

When the temp then goes down to 71c it goes back into part load and will head back up to 77c

The heater is designed to switch itself off after 76 minutes so even if you left it on that long it will switch off

Obviously if it is left on for any great length of time without the engine running it will impact on your battery so when it is used as a parking heater people generally leave it on for around 20 minutes then start their journey

Why don’t you have a simple remote fitted to save you leaving the house to insert the wire into pin 3 ?

Robs Car Gallery

Old 5th February 2021, 20:18   #17
squire
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the clarification Rob.
I have thought about the remote but to be honest as I'm not working now I don't see much point of it. My friend John has got a bit of a problem with his that's even beaten Devilish for the moment, I've had to pull the plugs out for him to disable the fbh for the time being, need to get the Nano's going again once we're allowed to, lol.

Cheers,

Martyn