Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2021, 15:41   #21
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

The switchpack can be dismantled and carefully cleaned up with some switch cleaner, well worth a try as it is a common issue

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 15:42   #22
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeTee View Post
Firstly, thank you Dave for your continued help - it is most appreciated

Secondly, I have given 12v directly to the relevant wires on the connector, and both mirrors fold / unfold as they should. I've checked both fuses and they are also fine.

I have to assume then, at this point, the switch pack is most likely faulty?

If there working as they should when power is applied to the plug on the rear of the switch pack then I’d expect the fault to be within the switch pack.
I’d take it apart and give it all a clean and also check the pins on the underside of the switch pack one of these could be bent/damaged when plugged was fitted preventing the signal being sent.

If you have a member close by you could swap switch packs to confirm it’s faulty if the above doesn’t fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16th February 2021, 21:44   #23
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Swapping/cleaning the switch pack would be my next move.

Now if that doesn't work it was a long time ago when we worked on these but I do believe there are two lives to the switch pack maybe Trebor can remember? what pins they are on?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 23:16   #24
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

if you look at Dave's link in post 2, I included the Rave wiring diagram at the bottom

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 14:46   #25
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

So I've now stripped and cleaned the switch, but still no power fold (everything else works correctly).

I can still hear / feel the click of what I assume is the relay but no movement. I think ideally I need to test with a known good switch and go from there.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 16:01   #26
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

OK, so looking back at my notes there are two lives to the switchpack. The green / white goes to pin 3 and the orange green wire to pin 6. This is the one that gives power to the powerfolds. I suspect your switchpack has power via pin3 which is allowing the relay and other functions to operate (you hear a click but the secondary live (pin 6) doesn't have a supply.)

This pin 6 is supplied with power from fuse 4
And fuse 11 supplies pin 3
So, check fuse 4 & 11 ( think you have already done 11) and then check for power to the orange/green wire at the door switch with ign on.
If you still have no power to the orange and green wire there you are looking at a break in the wiring, probably the pins in the door connection I recon.

The pin 6 should be live with ign on and for a short time after removing it to enable folding of the mirrors after parking up' ( I think it also illuminates the powerfold button )

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 18th February 2021 at 18:28..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 20:58   #27
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
OK, so looking back at my notes there are two lives to the switchpack. The green / white goes to pin 3 and the orange green wire to pin 6. This is the one that gives power to the powerfolds. I suspect your switchpack has power via pin3 which is allowing the relay and other functions to operate (you hear a click but the secondary live (pin 6) doesn't have a supply.)

This pin 6 is supplied with power from fuse 4
And fuse 11 supplies pin 3
So, check fuse 4 & 11 ( think you have already done 11) and then check for power to the orange/green wire at the door switch with ign on.
If you still have no power to the orange and green wire there you are looking at a break in the wiring, probably the pins in the door connection I recon.

The pin 6 should be live with ign on and for a short time after removing it to enable folding of the mirrors after parking up' ( I think it also illuminates the powerfold button )
Ok, so checking a fuse I can do

However, the rest may take me a little longer as I am clueless when it comes to checking stuff like that, but, I shall do my best and let you know
Old 19th February 2021, 10:14   #28
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Ok managed to check - I have 12v going to pin 3, nothing to pin 6, so looks like that is indeed the problem. However, it is far too rainy and windy here atm to be taking doors off, plus I suspect it will take me a while to figure out how to sort this but at least I know the next step now, and the end is in sight! Thanks once more Dave
Old 20th February 2021, 09:10   #29
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

With the utmost thanks to Dave, for explaining this in steps even I could understand, and everyone else who also posted and helped, I have now fixed the powerfolds!

Taking advantage of a break in the weather, an early start and a somewhat helpful 17 year old, I took the door off this morning and found the pin was missing in the car side loom for the orange / green wire.

I found a connector the same size in the various looms I now have spare and replaced it, and a quick test showed full functionality restored

One niggle ticked off the snag list

Last edited by ZedTeeTee; 20th February 2021 at 09:12..
Old 20th February 2021, 09:14   #30
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

One job off the list Chris 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk