Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2021, 11:06   #1
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Default Changing KV6 head gaskets. Advice on skimming and head bolts etc

Got the engine out my ZT to replace cambelts and clutch etc.

I want to change the head gaskets while its out. Is there anything particular I need to know about with the KV6? Such as different thickness gaskets etc.

Do KV6 heads need skimming when changing the head gaskets, and can the head bolts be re-used?
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 12:27   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Why do you want to change the head gaskets?

Do you have a problem?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 12:41   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

As above , why do you want to change them ? They are not known to suffer problems on the KV6 so unless you are doing other head work like valves or valve stem oil seals i would leave them alone .
If you are suffering oil smoke on startup then it is worth renewing the valve stem oil seals whilst you have the engine out .At just over 100k miles my seals were rock hard and not sealing much at all
The heads do not necessarily need skimming unless a straight-edge check reveals them to be warped ; this is unlikely . Mine were fine After the gaskets are removed however you are likely to be faced with a very dirty face which will take some cleaning . I used a piece of 4x2 timber which had been machined flat , wrapped in a sheet of fine grade wet and dry paper lubricated with soapy water , to polish up the face . Made a very nice job .
You can reuse the bolts .
Old 19th February 2021, 22:52   #4
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Basically I don't know if the gaskets are ok or not. Car was bought cheap with problem of coolant rising out of expansion tank.
I found and replaced dead fan, and flushed and bled the cooling system. Seemed to behave itself after this with exception of temp gauge would sit a fraction over half way, and with the cap off the coolant would rise to top within seconds of starting engine. There was a noise at higher revs from belt area so I suspected water pump. So engine is out to change belts and water pump and clutch. Makes sense to change the gaskets.

Last edited by ashy90; 19th February 2021 at 22:57..
Old 19th February 2021, 22:59   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Have a look at the liners while everything is off, I have found liners to be more of an issue than head gaskets on the KV6
Old 20th February 2021, 09:03   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
The heads do not necessarily need skimming unless a straight-edge check reveals them to be warped ; this is unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
Basically I don't know if the gaskets are ok or not. Car was bought cheap with problem of coolant rising out of expansion tank.
I found and replaced dead fan, and flushed and bled the cooling system. Seemed to behave itself after this with exception of temp gauge would sit a fraction over half way, and with the cap off the coolant would rise to top within seconds of starting engine. There was a noise at higher revs from belt area so I suspected water pump. So engine is out to change belts and water pump and clutch.
Hi Ash,

From your description I would suspect that Mr. Previous Owner has put K-seal in your engine but can I ask first whether you followed the MGR procedure exactly when refilling and bleeding (notably raising the expansion tank and not running the engine with the bleed screw removed)?

When you renew the cambelts make sure that you replace the tensioner and idler pulleys as well. The noise you've heard could well be a sign of bearing wear but you'll find out when you inspect them and spin them by hand.

Also, beware of changing the water pump if there is no sign of leakage. More than one owner has found the replacements to fail after a short period of time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Simon
Old 20th February 2021, 15:40   #7
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
I found and replaced dead fan, and flushed and bled the cooling system. Seemed to behave itself after this with exception of temp gauge would sit a fraction over half way, and with the cap off the coolant would rise to top within seconds of starting engine. There was a noise at higher revs from belt area so I suspected water pump. So engine is out to change belts and water pump and clutch. Makes sense to change the gaskets.
Done same job , was putting everything new including head bolts give attention to front head my one skimmed 100 micron at least.was raf.. same problem as you have.Good luck.
Old 21st February 2021, 05:49   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Remove all liners and check carefully for cracks in the block.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:28   #9
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Remove all liners and check carefully for cracks in the block.

That sounds like way more work than I was intending!

Pretty sure it hasn't got any cracks. I could leave it running for an hour stationary and it wouldn't overheat etc. I was monitoring the temp via the dash and via obd. Cant remember the figures but when it got to the right temp the fan would kick in and bring it down.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:33   #10
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Hi Ash,

From your description I would suspect that Mr. Previous Owner has put K-seal in your engine but can I ask first whether you followed the MGR procedure exactly when refilling and bleeding (notably raising the expansion tank and not running the engine with the bleed screw removed)?

When you renew the cambelts make sure that you replace the tensioner and idler pulleys as well. The noise you've heard could well be a sign of bearing wear but you'll find out when you inspect them and spin them by hand.

Also, beware of changing the water pump if there is no sign of leakage. More than one owner has found the replacements to fail after a short period of time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Simon

Yep followed procedure. With engine running (after new rad and bleeding system) etc) it seemed fine. I had it running several times and kept it running for an hour or so after it had got to temp. Fans would kick in at the right temperature according to OBD and bring the temp down.
The only slight oddity was the gauge sat a fraction over half - literally a tiny bit.