Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th March 2021, 17:28   #1
smabious
Regular poster

MG ZT 160+ & MG6

Default Exhaust Manifold stud

Evening.

I've noticed oil collecting on one if the Exhaust Manifold studs. It's not dripping but is coated (highlighted in pic). Anyone know why this would be on a 1.8T? This is giving a smell of buring oil not long after starting - not nice! Strange just on this one stud.

I also have a slight oil leak from the inlet Camshaft seal which is eventually getting on the top of the gearbox - I assume these are unrelated, the seal I'm replacing ASAP.

Scott.
Old 18th March 2021, 20:51   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

This is often due to a leaking camshaft cover gasket , and might be solved by just nipping up the cover bolts
Old 19th March 2021, 08:39   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If the oil is not running down from a leak in the cover gasket it has to be getting into the stud drilling from inside. The stud holes are blank, so there's no logical route for an oil leak other than a crack around the drilling. Over-tightening the stud could do that. The only way to be sure about a crack is to remove the manifold and check the drilling. If the leak is very small I suppose a good coat of thead sealant might fix it.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 11:26   #4
smabious
Regular poster

MG ZT 160+ & MG6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If the oil is not running down from a leak in the cover gasket it has to be getting into the stud drilling from inside. The stud holes are blank, so there's no logical route for an oil leak other than a crack around the drilling. Over-tightening the stud could do that. The only way to be sure about a crack is to remove the manifold and check the drilling. If the leak is very small I suppose a good coat of thead sealant might fix it.

TC

Thanks for the response. I've had another look and It doesn't appear any oil is coming directly from above. It's wet around the base of the stud and all over it. I wonder if the leak from the rear inlet camshaft seal is somehow running along the head/block and stopping at the the first lower stud. I'm going to change the seal today, clean up and see if that has done anything.

After that Ill try your suggestion and remove the manifold.