Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2021, 12:13   #1
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Default rover 45 head gasket?

My dad bought a 45 a month ago with 21.000 miles on the clock.
now it almost has 25.000 miles and recently I decided to check his fluids for him. the coolant was empty with white froth on the cap and inside the reservoir. there is no white froth on the oil cap though.

Is it safe to assume that the head gasket has already started to fail or are there other things to look out for first?

there are no leaks

Last edited by roverbeast75; 8th August 2021 at 12:24..
roverbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 13:14   #2
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes it does sound like HGF from what you say
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 13:31   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbeast75 View Post
now it almost has 25.000 miles and recently I decided to check his fluids for him. the coolant was empty with white froth on the cap and inside the reservoir. there is no white froth on the oil cap though.

Is it safe to assume that the head gasket has already started to fail or are there other things to look out for first?

there are no leaks
A quick check for HGF is to give her a 15km thrash at motorway speed (top up the coolant first) - leave her overnight then open the expansion tank cap - if there is a clear audible escape of gas/pressure this points to exhaust gas in the coolant system and therefore HGF - should be no pressure in a cold system.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 15:04   #4
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

there are no leaks
Has the car got any history of a Head gasket change or with the mileage is it assumed original
Have you checked the car for any external leaks

K series head gaskets usually fail in two ways , Cross contamination or the fire ring passing exhaust gases into the coolant system
Cross contamination is usually a breakdown of the elastomer on the gasket which allow oil and coolant to mix ! Even though with no froth on the oil cap is your oil level starting to rise ,as coolant could be draining back into the sump ? This may happen without pressurizing your coolant system as the fire ring on the gasket may not be compromised . You may find the oil has not had time to emulsify yet
As Yorkshire GOC says if problems with the fire ring , combustion gasses will pressurize your cooling system

My advice would be to top up coolant and make certain of correct oil level, check for any external leaks and monitor levels for a few days . Any problem will soon manifest itself one way or another but I suspect if no external leaks possible elastomer break down as you would probably eject coolant out the header tank if pressurizing coolant system

Last edited by TourerSteve; 8th August 2021 at 15:33..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 15:15   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
leave her overnight then open the expansion tank cap - if there is a clear audible escape of gas/pressure this points to exhaust gas in the coolant system and therefore HGF - should be no pressure in a cold system.
Seconded
Remember , once you switch it off , walk away without touching the cap and leave it 'til next morning . Patience !
Old 8th August 2021, 15:17   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Low mileage cars like that can have had little in the way of servicing. Short trips will build up a lot of moisture/condensation. Do an engine flush and fill with fresh fluids. I bought a 25 which was the same and the previous owners garage had said that the head gasket had gone. After flushing, I ran it for two years with no engine problems at all.
Old 8th August 2021, 18:31   #7
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
A quick check for HGF is to give her a 15km thrash at motorway speed (top up the coolant first) - leave her overnight then open the expansion tank cap - if there is a clear audible escape of gas/pressure this points to exhaust gas in the coolant system and therefore HGF - should be no pressure in a cold system.
I will tell him to do this & will update soon
roverbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 19:11   #8
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
I will tell him to do this & will update soon
Also sniff/smell the expansion tank at the same time - if you have HGF you will probably smell exhaust gas in the tank .

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote