Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2021, 17:40   #11
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

I've had the cork gasket on mine for must be approaching 2 years and 30k miles (after my gearbox pan rusted through!).

Absolutely no issues or leaks, it really has been fit & forget and far easier to put on than sealant! Can't comment on the neoprene as that wasn't available when I needed it.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 17:48   #12
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

To keep the gasket from sagging or becoming mis-aligned while installing, try this. Get some correct size bolts an inch long and cut the heads off them. Then thread those headless bolts (newly made studs) into various spots and hang the gasket on them. Put the rest of the bolts in finger tight, remove/replace the "studs" with the correct bolts one at a time, then tighten them all in the right pattern.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 18:13   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
To keep the gasket from sagging or becoming mis-aligned while installing, try this. Get some correct size bolts an inch long and cut the heads off them. Then thread those headless bolts (newly made studs) into various spots and hang the gasket on them. Put the rest of the bolts in finger tight, remove/replace the "studs" with the correct bolts one at a time, then tighten them all in the right pattern.
it is obvious now! lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 18:19   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
this NEOPRENE gasket i have ordered is from the same supplier that clf ordered from when he bought his cork version. gives me a bit more confidence in them. ONE STOP AUTO SHOP . again though if its too thick i may use the sealant route without a gasket. we will see.
if it seems/is too thick it should still be ok. In fact, the neoprene would probably be more forgiving in terms of torque.

When I said previously about it being too thick, I perhaps should have clarified. It was much thicker than the original, which appeared to be sealant (although it could have been a thin rubber material that had simply disintegrated as I removed the pan - you can see some of its remnants on the gearbox side in my image above.

Old 30th December 2021, 18:45   #15
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

thanks for all replies. will let you know about the new gasket texture / feel thickness and hardness when its delivered ( quoted 5th jan due to hols ) much appreciated.....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 21:52   #16
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post

When I've made similar assembly locating dowels as above, I've always found that once the head is off, a couple of blades in a hacksaw frame, or one may do with a small dia bolt, to cut a screwdriver slot in the end is well worth the few mins it takes, especially where there is restricted space and also where there is a bit of stiction from the threads, gasket and cover.

Saves frabbing about with fingers and snipe nosed pliers that are never where you last put them when needed. 🙄😉
Old 30th December 2021, 21:57   #17
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
if it seems/is too thick it should still be ok. In fact, the neoprene would probably be more forgiving in terms of torque.

When I said previously about it being too thick, I perhaps should have clarified. It was much thicker than the original, which appeared to be sealant (although it could have been a thin rubber material that had simply disintegrated as I removed the pan - you can see some of its remnants on the gearbox side in my image above.

The original is just sealant, although interestingly depending on application (i.e. which brand of car you have), it may have been the cork gasket from the factory.

From the exploded parts diagram I found, its the same bolts used regardless of sealant/gasket used, so no concern with the gasket being "too thick".
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2021, 19:12   #18
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Does anyone have the actual link to the supplier of the gaskets on Ebay?

Thanks

Mike
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2021, 21:00   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantwich 75 View Post
Does anyone have the actual link to the supplier of the gaskets on Ebay?

Thanks

Mike
post 5......