Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th February 2022, 04:49   #31
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I see there have been demonstrations in Russia against the war but were quickly crushed by the police/military.
Which is exactly what will happen to any country occupied by Russia.

In 1938/9 many countries distanced themselves by declaring neutrality but that did not protect them. There lessons from that era which need re-learning.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 06:22   #32
mbev51
Banned

Removed

We need to know why so much Russian money came into this country and what influence did it buy. I’m afraid the West has been sleepwalking with regard to Russia for as long as Putin has been in power. He should have served his term and been forced to step down. There’s a small chance if the Ukraine people continue to resist and things get drawn out Putin will come under pressure. Western governments need to target Putin and his cronies, hit them where it hurts. We are entering a new Cold War period, I hope I’m wrong.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 07:39   #33
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
We need to know why so much Russian money came into this country and what influence did it buy. I’m afraid the West has been sleepwalking with regard to Russia for as long as Putin has been in power. He should have served his term and been forced to step down. There’s a small chance if the Ukraine people continue to resist and things get drawn out Putin will come under pressure. Western governments need to target Putin and his cronies, hit them where it hurts. We are entering a new Cold War period, I hope I’m wrong.
Brown envelopes speaks louder than words and lethargy is more comfortable than action.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 07:45   #34
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Interesting how suddenly the world is populated by experts (or should that be exspurts?) in the field of military tactics, defence, European history and politics. All offering advice on what should have be done, what should be done, who can do what, where, how and what with. All saying none of this would have happened if someone else was it charge. And of course who is to blame.

Well whatever happens I ain't going to worry over it much. It'll be what it will be.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 07:54   #35
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Oh and the misinformation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60513452
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 13:14   #36
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Perhaps they should not watch RT, the propaganda channel of Putin, which also needs to be taken down, or should that be put down?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 15:57   #37
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I wonder about the Russian, or should I say Bolshevic, parliament. Add to that the thousands of Russians now domiciled in the West and elsewhere who are seeing their vast funds being targeted. Are there no objections to this madcap aggression from any source of government in Russia? There must be someone with the nerve to reign him in. Even so, even the EU is reluctant to get involved in retaliation by using the Swift banking system. What a shower they are.
Old 25th February 2022, 17:29   #38
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I wonder about the Russian, or should I say Bolshevic, parliament. Add to that the thousands of Russians now domiciled in the West and elsewhere who are seeing their vast funds being targeted. Are there no objections to this madcap aggression from any source of government in Russia? There must be someone with the nerve to reign him in. Even so, even the EU is reluctant to get involved in retaliation by using the Swift banking system. What a shower they are.
The problem with the swift system would mean they would start to use (or solely use) the Chinese equivalent. This seemingly would cause financial problems for a lot of EU countries, in particular Germany. Not to mention when things settle down again, and countries start to trade again with Russia, they may force those countries to sign up to the Chinese banking and money system, which would then destabilise the position of the dollar as being the currency of choice for transactions (think of population sizes).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 17:59   #39
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The problem with the swift system would mean they would start to use (or solely use) the Chinese equivalent..
...... until China invades Taiwan!
Old 25th February 2022, 18:30   #40
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
...... until China invades Taiwan!
They would continue to use it, and that would make it easier for China to retake control of Taiwan (not invade), but that will be after Hong Kong of course. Russia will not be concerned and likely understand and support China in their demands (and Tibet too). Russia will be at the very least a moral supporter, if not a military and financial supporter.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote