Notices

Old 14th March 2022, 12:23   #21
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
And from our experience from renting out a bungalow we inherited, one set of (English by the way) tenants decided to rearrange the plumbing, refit new doors and generally muck the place up. And of course they did a moonlight. Cost us £2000 + to put right. We sold the place soon after: I hated being a landlord.
Bad luck you had tenants who messed up your bungalow. £2,000 plus is a big hit on your wallet.

The refugee rehousing scheme I referred to collapsed after funding was withdrawn. After that, we went with a letting agency. We had some bad experiences with tenants. One had to be evicted for long standing non payment of rent. Then there was a male couple who messed up our double glazing by never opening the windows even in the summer. They put holes in the hallway walls to hang their bicycles. The last tenant never used curtains, instead she glued rolls of silver foil all over the windows and she painted the toilet basin pink. The front door was dented and cracked as though someone had given it a good kicking. We gave her notice to quit and after she left, she went to independent adjudication to get her deposit back, but the adjudicator ruled in our favour, she did not have her money returned.

We have just sold the flat.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 15:45   #22
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I have been reading the threads on here reference taking in refugees, and hand on heart would be willing to take a small family in, but there are nagging doubts as to could I trust them when we are not in, or away on holiday so please don't badly of me for my way of thinking, I know these people are in desperate need of a safe haven after all the hardships they have been through
but we would have a lot too lose by taking in the wrong sort who have nothing.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 16:45   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

I have been reading the threads on here reference taking in refugees, and hand on heart would be willing to take a small family in, but there are nagging doubts as to could I trust them when we are not in, or away on holiday so please don't badly of me for my way of thinking, I know these people are in desperate need of a safe haven after all the hardships they have been through
but we would have a lot too lose by taking in the wrong sort who have nothing.

Rev.
I am exactly the same. when I am out, they are out, no keys.
For anyone considering this, check your household insurance.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 23:26   #24
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am exactly the same. when I am out, they are out, no keys.
For anyone considering this, check your household insurance.

macafee2
Therefore if they are not to be in your house if you are going out and they have to stay out until you arrive back, as you will not let them have the keys to your home, you are in affect/effect- their jailer.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 14th March 2022 at 23:29..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 06:25   #25
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Therefore if they are not to be in your house if you are going out and they have to stay out until you arrive back, as you will not let them have the keys to your home, you are in affect/effect- their jailer.
eerrrmm, no I don't think so as they can go out "when they want". I appreciate it may not be nice for them but if that is all I could offer. I have considered using my caravan for when we are out, this would give them somewhere warm and dry.
I did look at the government web site yesterday. My understanding, if you know a refugee you can contact them and offer your home. If you don't then contact a charity that is helping find accommodation. I have also been onto the council but did not get to to speak to the person I apparently needed to.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 15th March 2022 at 06:32..
Old 15th March 2022, 12:16   #26
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
eerrrmm, no I don't think so as they can go out "when they want". I appreciate it may not be nice for them but if that is all I could offer. I have considered using my caravan for when we are out, this would give them somewhere warm and dry.

macafee2
am I reading this correctly, 'for when we are out, this would give them somewhere warm and dry'? This is exactly what I said after I built an insulated 'kennel' for a neighbour's young cat that refused to stay at her house when they got a dog.

This was after we found her seeking 'refuge' in bad weather, in and around garden furniture in our back yard. At first we didnt let her stay in the house when we went out, due to our cats, and not knowing her habits etc. But she only wants to stay in the house when the weather is particularly bad, and has made our home, yard and the kennel, her home (this is all with the blessing of our neighbour by the way).

You do realise that any Ukrainian refugees would be real people, granted you could argue that they are like a stray animal, but they are actually human beings with fragile emotions, and shattered lives and dreams. How would you feel if this was you? THIS TV show, whilst a comedy, does highlight some basic issues that you and I may not realise.

It sounds as though you feel guilty for not being willing to open your home to refugees, there is nothing wrong with that, and I get your reluctance. But as Steve states, you are effectively becoming their jailor, although I would suggest master would be a more appropriate term. There are other ways that you can help (if you want to), you do not have to give up your home. Perhaps contacting a charity for refugees, and offering support in the form of company, showing refugees around/local 'custom', or driving them places, getting groceries, DIY etc.

(the caravan in itself may be a good idea, although access to basic facilities - running water, toilet, electricity may be required for independence and dignity)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 15th March 2022 at 12:21..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 12:22   #27
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default How Germany is handling refugees

If you cannot welcome them as you would a family member or a mate then you shouldn’t bother at all in my opinion.

These poor souls have been through hell and this is only the beginning for them, many of the women will not have husbands to rejoin them, the children will have lost family members and a lot of them will be traumatised forever with what is happening.

My mother and father thankfully survived living through ww2 and some of the stories were awful, and they were the lucky ones.

These folk need shelter, warmth, food and safety until they can figure out how to get their lives back to some form of normality.
Old 15th March 2022, 13:09   #28
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
am I reading this correctly, 'for when we are out, this would give them somewhere warm and dry'? This is exactly what I said after I built an insulated 'kennel' for a neighbour's young cat that refused to stay at her house when they got a dog.

This was after we found her seeking 'refuge' in bad weather, in and around garden furniture in our back yard. At first we didnt let her stay in the house when we went out, due to our cats, and not knowing her habits etc. But she only wants to stay in the house when the weather is particularly bad, and has made our home, yard and the kennel, her home (this is all with the blessing of our neighbour by the way).

You do realise that any Ukrainian refugees would be real people, granted you could argue that they are like a stray animal, but they are actually human beings with fragile emotions, and shattered lives and dreams. How would you feel if this was you? THIS TV show, whilst a comedy, does highlight some basic issues that you and I may not realise.

It sounds as though you feel guilty for not being willing to open your home to refugees, there is nothing wrong with that, and I get your reluctance. But as Steve states, you are effectively becoming their jailor, although I would suggest master would be a more appropriate term. There are other ways that you can help (if you want to), you do not have to give up your home. Perhaps contacting a charity for refugees, and offering support in the form of company, showing refugees around/local 'custom', or driving them places, getting groceries, DIY etc.

(the caravan in itself may be a good idea, although access to basic facilities - running water, toilet, electricity may be required for independence and dignity)

I do feel bad not feeling totally at ease giving them free run of my home. I do not mean to be their jailer.
My fear of being a victim from someone I would be helping is quite strong.
I have been in touch with a local Polish school that has been collecting donations and we have been shopping to donate. I would be grateful for the help if I were in their shoes but a post on this shows how those helping can get stung.
I know they are real people and I would not compare them to an animal. I cannot get the URL to work.

macafee2
Old 15th March 2022, 13:10   #29
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If you cannot welcome them as you would a family member or a mate then you shouldn’t bother at all in my opinion.

These poor souls have been through hell and this is only the beginning for them, many of the women will not have husbands to rejoin them, the children will have lost family members and a lot of them will be traumatised forever with what is happening.

My mother and father thankfully survived living through ww2 and some of the stories were awful, and they were the lucky ones.

These folk need shelter, warmth, food and safety until they can figure out how to get their lives back to some form of normality.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I seem to have upset you with my fears. My dad was a refugee so perhaps I should know better

macafee2
Old 15th March 2022, 13:12   #30
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Is the £350 per month including food & shopping for the extra people, more water will be used, more electric, more gas, if that cost include the above a family of 3 one adult & two children would use up at least £100 per week easy.

I also read or heard the person whom owns the home as to be vetted, are the refugees vetted too?

I wonder how many of the MP's will allow their second homes to be used

I doubt any of these will be used for the refugees
https://www.veranda.com/luxury-lifes...-family-homes/

If money can be found to help kill people, then money can be found to help people surely.

apparently refugees will be vetted, goodness knows how well.

macafee2