Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2022, 10:38   #171
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Just read in the mail that the figure for migrant crossings last year was 28,300, treble the previous years. A solution needs to be found for this so that migrants only come through official channels.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 16:11   #172
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The problem is we are fighting an already lost battle. Leaving aside the humanitarian aspect for a moment, we are in reality the last defence border (after the French border).

The EU requires all member states to follow the same code, ostensibly that asylum seekers from any source should be able to seek refuge in the first EU member state they enter. And to get that refuge.

Obviously, every country in between is under the same requirement. Essentially, those intermediate countries turn a blind eye. They allege that the travellers are not seeking asylum, merely a better life. So they allow, nay aid, them to go to the next one.

Therefore they are allowed through travel to the first state that will guarantee safe haven. So who can blame them? I wouldn't like to be the guard who has the responsibility of finding the jihadi amongst the crowd, would you?

So, ultimately, and so far, UK is the only humanitarian and charitable state between us and the rest of the world.

Take heart, your reward is in heaven.
Old 9th April 2022, 17:22   #173
Gelen

Rover 75 Tourer

People choose to make the Channel crossing for a myriad of reasons, whether it's the fact that they already speak English or to join family members who are already living there. Maybe the situation would be different if there were other regulations and laws to allow people to come and stay in the UK. One of my friends spent three years getting a visa to see her boyfriend who lived in London. Moreover, it is pretty hard to get British citizenship. A lot of people fail the British Citizenship Test. To be honest, I tried passing it on this website (it gives the possibility to practice) and I didn't know several answers to the questions. Though maybe I'm the only one

Last edited by Gelen; 10th April 2022 at 19:55..
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2022, 22:42   #174
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Someone showed me the British Citizenship Test a few years ago and I don’t think that the majority of Brits would have a chance of passing it !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 07:25   #175
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
The problem is we are fighting an already lost battle. Leaving aside the humanitarian aspect for a moment, we are in reality the last defence border (after the French border).

The EU requires all member states to follow the same code, ostensibly that asylum seekers from any source should be able to seek refuge in the first EU member state they enter. And to get that refuge.

Obviously, every country in between is under the same requirement. Essentially, those intermediate countries turn a blind eye. They allege that the travellers are not seeking asylum, merely a better life. So they allow, nay aid, them to go to the next one.

Therefore they are allowed through travel to the first state that will guarantee safe haven. So who can blame them? I wouldn't like to be the guard who has the responsibility of finding the jihadi amongst the crowd, would you?

So, ultimately, and so far, UK is the only humanitarian and charitable state between us and the rest of the world.

Take heart, your reward is in heaven.
I maybe totaly wrong, But is the UK no longer an EU member???

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 09:34   #176
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As ever, it's complicated. I'm sure someone will be along in a moment. However, we are no longer a full member of EU but are subject to the 'leaving' negotiated settlement. That includes membership of UNHCR which, specifically, guarantees safe haven for 'refugees'. The true status of these particular migrants is open to doubt - especially considering the huge payments demanded for the 21 mile passage. That's possibly to do with the 'P' word so best not to pry too much.
Old 10th April 2022, 21:23   #177
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

If the roles were reversed and we were France - where they have far higher numbers of immigrants & refugees - how hard would we try to stop a few of them leaving to go to England?

As a relatively civilised country with a reasonable standard of living, and no bombs dropping, incoming migrants are just a fact of life.

Hopefully we'll never get to stage where no-one wants to come here.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 22:04   #178
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote "Hopefully we'll never get to stage where no-one wants to come here"..

I think that will happen in the future, Because the UK is a small Island and is nearly full now, It does not have the infrastructure to absorb the thousands of immigrants illegal or not that are arriving on the shores of the UK. Hospitals, Schools, Doctors cant cope now, The Police are loosing the battle on the streets with daily Shootings and Stabbings. Murders and Rapes are at there highest ever.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2022, 12:15   #179
mbev51
Banned

Removed

They still want to come 600 yesterday and today a plan to send them to Rwanda, smacks of an Australian type solution.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2022, 12:37   #180
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

That nice Mr Campbell on Radio 5 was discussing it this morning, apparently of the 28000 or so of last years figures 90% were single males.

I'm sure the Rwanda solution will work though.

Yet another mess the world is in.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote