Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd April 2022, 07:37   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
No reason why the KV6 engine can't do far more than 150k ...

I believe that the reason diesels enjoy the reputation of longevity is because they're chosen by high mileage drivers for their low running costs in terms of fuel.

Simon
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:34   #12
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

agreed simon.no doubts about that being the truth. but on the other side of the coin is the fact that they are capable of these incredible moon miles. worn rings and bores are more readily accepted by the MOT tester than the much criticised poor old petrol engines. at least now whilst there is no LPG available for me to buy these days, i can pollute on petrol and still pay the same VED near enough with a contented heart . ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:51   #13
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Looking at it, 240,000km works out at about 150,000 miles i think ?
I wonder how many 150,000 mile kv6 cars are out there.?
I've a 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 manual now @170k miles. It's a two owner (me and one other) ex. Main Dealer (3900 mile/8 months) demonstrator. Early life regularly dealer/garage service record but I've done all the recent regular servicing (more or less per the manual). As far as I can tell it's still on the original clutch but had the original inlet manifold replaced under Warranty, uses very little oil and runs really well.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:06   #14
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
... i can pollute on petrol ...
You are most certainly not polluting Stefan!

Don't allow yourself to be conned by technically ignorant politicians who have their own agenda. Your car has a catalytic converter which emits carbon dioxide which is not a pollutant, far from it! It's essential to support life on our planet.

Simon
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:19   #15
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

nice to hear. the KV6 is , despite what some may say, a decent engine. driving style does play a part as with all cars, but the main issue is to keep changing the oil regularly. the more oil changes above the recommended service requirements .. the better. mine has 3 a year irrespective of milage, and that will now go to 4 a year. the reason being im on petrol now as no lpg available. the oil on lpg stays a golden brown for much longer than when on petrol. so to me oil changes are key to high millage and play a major role. look after the car and it will look after you. .... simples ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 08:43   #16
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Well thought my days with Rover 75s were over but an member of the local Rover club over here informed me of another older member who s interested in selling a mint 2.5 kv6 2001 75 Connie in Dover white, the one colour i never had.
Evidently has just had new belts, water pump and a heap of new stuff done.
Only issue is its done 240,000 km.
Ive owned a few kv6 75s but not had one with the mileage.
My question is how long will a kv6 2.5 engine go for if serviced regularly ?
The beauty of the Rover engines is that the cylinders and piston rings can be changed for new items, if the bearings are good then it's simply a case of swapping the liners and rings for new items, this turns back the wear on the engine to zero. If a person should go down this path it would extend the life of an engine for goodness knows how long, I did it with my 75, new liners, rings and bearing shells, that engine has now done 5000 miles since then, it upped the performance and MPG as well.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 09:09   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

I believe that the reason diesels enjoy the reputation of longevity is because they're chosen by high mileage drivers for their low running costs in terms of fuel.

Simon

Having stripped an M47R engine down Simon I couldn't find any appreciable wear. It had covered getting on for 190k miles. These particular diesels can be incredibly long lasting if regularly serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
agreed simon.no doubts about that being the truth. but on the other side of the coin is the fact that they are capable of these incredible moon miles. worn rings and bores are more readily accepted by the MOT tester than the much criticised poor old petrol engines. at least now whilst there is no LPG available for me to buy these days, i can pollute on petrol and still pay the same VED near enough with a contented heart . ..

Surely you'd expect to see an increase in oil consumption with worn rings and bores? The diesel engine in my car doesn't use oil in between 15k services, and has just clocked up 425k miles - coming back from the Pride of Longbridge Rally yesterday.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 09:38   #18
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Having stripped an M47R engine down Simon I couldn't find any appreciable wear. It had covered getting on for 190k miles. These particular diesels can be incredibly long lasting if regularly serviced.
Hi Mike,

I don't doubt what you say for a moment! I was trying to convey that there's no reason why a regularly serviced petrol engine which has covered 190,000 miles should have any appreciable wear either. In other words, durability is not the preserve of diesel engines although they get the most publicity as they're more attractive for high mileages due to their superior fuel consumption.

I hope that clarifies!

Simon
Old 24th April 2022, 20:39   #19
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'd like to think they would last well over 190k miles Simon but I don't have any experience of them. Saga Lout has rebuilt his engine so it would be interesting to know how many miles his had done and the condition of the replaced parts.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 07:20   #20
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

My nearly 23 year old V6 is driving a treat and I do not use any oil at all. Never topping up between one year services.
I should admit that 193k km (120k miles) isn't that much (despite one says it's very old at this mileage here, who wants to buy those cars now?) but I've got great hopes that God willing she'll last longer than me. I don't see any reason to swap any part within the engine at the moment.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote