Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2022, 08:03   #1
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Mk2 Diesel Intercooler Hoses

Finally got around to replacing the top intercooler hose last week after it was pointed out at last year's Nano that it looked a little 'squishy'.
Pretty easy to remove the old one and get the new one on - I had the bumper off and lights out anyway - and there's a couple of things I noticed.
  • My late plate mk2 has no facility for O rings on the intercooler. There's a hefty lip on the end of the pipe but no grooves at all for O rings. Aftermarket replacement or was this how they came out of the factory?
  • Buying a single piece top hose, you not only need to cut it to fit the temperature sensor, you also need to cut out an additional length of hose the equivalent width of the temp sensor, otherwise the hose starts to kink too much at the top elbow. This kink creates a reduction in hose diameter at the elbow and so causes a bit of back pressure into the intercooler. Maybe the cause of some of the hose blowouts I've seen documented here. Maybe stating the obvious. My old hose was about 3cm too long for the avaiable space and I could see once off the car it was quite restricted. Comparing old to new (before cutting), they were the same length.
As a result of changing the hose, I've had a noticable change in throttle response and more of a willingness to get up to the legal limit. Not that she was sluggish before. As far as I'm aware, she's a stock 116Ps and hasn't been remapped or anything.
Old 5th May 2022, 09:31   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

The intercooler plastic bend still remained the same on the later models, so therefore should have grooves for O rings.

Also your car should be a 131 and not a stock 116Ps, check what it says on the door jam lock side.

Yes also cut out a little from the all in one intercooler hose i think it's 15mm after you have made the first cut.

I have silicone one on mine.

Drop a bottle of this in the fuel tank twice a year.

I would have the 160 upgrade done if you can.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2022, 10:25   #3
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Cheers Steve, I was looking at the wrong end! I'd expected the plastic pipe to be moulded into the intercooler body. Next time the bumper's off, I'll take a look as I've got a set of viton O rings in the toolbox. Not doing that again in a hurry.
I've run a bottle of Techron through last summer before the MOT and that worked well and I regularly dose up with Redex to keep it clean. Found an unopened bottle of Wynn's turbo cleaner I must have bought for the Mondeo, so that'll get chucked in the tank at the next refill.
The 160 upgrade is on the bigger plan, though the way she currently runs I'd say someone's already had a play around on that front.
Old 5th May 2022, 10:52   #4
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Good old Steve knows his onions doesn't he!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2022, 09:02   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Cheers Steve, I was looking at the wrong end! I'd expected the plastic pipe to be moulded into the intercooler body. Next time the bumper's off, I'll take a look as I've got a set of viton O rings in the toolbox. Not doing that again in a hurry.

You don't need to remove the bumper to replace the O rings.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2022, 09:05   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
I've run a bottle of Techron through last summer before the MOT and that worked well and I regularly dose up with Redex to keep it clean. Found an unopened bottle of Wynn's turbo cleaner I must have bought for the Mondeo, so that'll get chucked in the tank at the next refill.
Quote:
The 160 upgrade is on the bigger plan, though the way she currently runs I'd say someone's already had a play around on that front.
Hi Mike.
Always better to have a clean manifold, EGR, and MAP sensor, including nice clean air filter, fuel filter, etc before having a 160 upgrade, or at least make sure you do those right after.

I would also stay clear of the Mafless maps as they smoke, and you have to unplug a good MAF sensor does not make sense to me but that's my opinion only, and what do i now

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote