Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2022, 10:38   #1
Mick Brownhill
Regional Secretary, Yorkshire & North Lincolnshire

75 Saloon

Default 75 v6 2.5

Hi guys. I need your help to make my brain control my heart. I have my eye on a 53 plate V6. It has 59k on the clock. No history of cam belt or water pump replacement. My question is should I consider these need replacement. Thanks for your help. I have read it can go to 90k or 6 years? Thanks for your guidance.
Mick Brownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 10:43   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

That's certainly the service schedule for the belts, 90k or 6 years. For peace of mind factor the cost of getting them done, may be below the mileage limit but on the time schedule alone. Some would say you don't need to change them on the time schedule but are you willing to take that chance.

You can download the service schedule here.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 25th May 2022 at 10:46..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 10:53   #3
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

Considering the result of a failed belt or tensioner (the KV6 is an interference engine, so valve/piston damage will almost certainly occur!) and how awkward/invasive a repair it will be versus the value of most of these cars, it's daft to take the risk, despite what a few on here will say.

It is correct that the schedule is 6 years/90k miles, whichever comes first. Mine is due again next year on time, and despite having covered about 7k miles on the current belts, I will be doing it!
itcaptainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 12:01   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

The schedule was written when the average mileage per annum was 15,000, so 6 years fits in with the 90,000 recommended change time. I don't feel there is a definitive answer. It is up to each individual.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 12:08   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcaptainslow View Post
............it's daft to take the risk, despite what a few on here will say.

.......!

No risk is daft if is taken with a full understanding of the level of risk and the cost associated with it turning into reality.

My 22 year old Omega V6 will not get another belt replacement. If the engine goes pop, it will be an interesting experience and I will have enjoyed the car for nearly 20 years.

The memsahib and our two youngsters say they hate my cars because, in their words, 'they just go on and on and never die'. It may be that one day the Omega will bring them a little extra dose of happiness!
Old 25th May 2022, 19:05   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default The truth about belt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Brownhill View Post
I have my eye on a 53 plate V6. It has 59k on the clock. No history of cam belt or water pump replacement.
Hello Mick,

I am one of "the few" who say that the belts should be changed according to mileage and not time. There are two reasons why MG Rover chose a time period. The first reason arose from when belts first replaced chains. Manufacturers could easily test belts to destruction on mileage (hence 90,000) but they obviously can't afford to wait years and years when they need to sell cars. Therefore they came up with this formula:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
The schedule was written when the average mileage per annum was 15,000, so 6 years fits in with the 90,000 recommended change time.
As you can see the 6 year period is arithmetical not scientific. It was chosen because MGR didn't know how long the belts would last in terms of time. But I have answered that question by careful investigation.

I reasoned that if the belts would last 90,000 miles in 5 years and 364 days then why not for 6 years and one day? If that was indeed true, then what is the actual, realistic belt life in terms of time? I decided to put this to the test using my own V6 which I knew had not had a belt change since it left the factory.

I waited for 90,000 miles to appear on the odometer and this took 19 years, over three times the recommended 6 year interval. I did the change myself and I can categorically say that the 19 years old belts were indistinguishable from the brand new ones (they are available for inspection by anyone open to persuasion). That should be enough proof that their service life is a minimum of 90,000 miles irrespective of time. However I did make an interesting discovery.

The "risk" is not with the belts but with the idler and tensioner pulleys. The former was exuding grease and the latter had rough running bearings. Now it's important to realise that MG Rover does not specify the renewal of these pulleys either on a time or mileage basis but they should do because failure would result in certain belt breakage. This is how the myth is created of spontaneous, unexplained belt failure.

So what should you do Mick? I would recommend that you listen to your engine, particularly for the minutes after a cold start when the rattle from worn pulley bearings is most noticeable. That will be the time to renew the pulleys and the belts. You may cover 70,000 miles or more before it's apparent.

I would also recommend that you don't automatically renew the water pump. The factory fitted part is very good quality which is more than can be said for some of the aftermarket parts. Some members have regretted replacement when it's presented them with a huge bill which they'd sought to avoid by throwing away their original, perfectly good water pump.

So there you have it Mick, it's now up to you!

All the best,

Simon
Old 25th May 2022, 22:56   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Brownhill View Post
Hi guys. I need your help to make my brain control my heart. I have my eye on a 53 plate V6. It has 59k on the clock. No history of cam belt or water pump replacement. My question is should I consider these need replacement. Thanks for your help. I have read it can go to 90k or 6 years? Thanks for your guidance.
Hi Mick.
Give your self a new playing field, do the belts and water pump, tensioners etc, give it a full service then you know where you are starting from with the car.

From then on you can go over the car from front to back, you will get to know the car fully over the coming months or years if you intend to keep it.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote