Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2022, 10:31   #165351
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Hmm . . . . I was hoping the old boy next door would give me a hand with the acer, getting it back level and a 2nd stake for additional support but his only suggestion was hack the roots outside the pot off, smash the pot and plant the thing in the ground. That idea didn't go down well with me other half to say the least, especially the idea of hacking the roots off. The main root coming out of the drainage hole in the pot is over an inch thick, hack that off I doubt if the acer would survive.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 11:13   #165352
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Hmm . . . . I was hoping the old boy next door would give me a hand with the acer, getting it back level and a 2nd stake for additional support but his only suggestion was hack the roots outside the pot off, smash the pot and plant the thing in the ground. That idea didn't go down well with me other half to say the least, especially the idea of hacking the roots off. The main root coming out of the drainage hole in the pot is over an inch thick, hack that off I doubt if the acer would survive.

The vandal I doubt it would recover if that tap root was hacked off.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 12:08   #165353
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Probably going to be stiff tomorrow! Managed to get myself under the acer, shoulder against a big branch, shoved it upright and while doing that used a bit of wood and hammer to pack under the pot then tied wire as tight as possible around the original stake and the trunk to hold it upright. Manoeuvred my way back from under the acer, used an axe to get a better point on the new stake and hammered it in opposite the original. Secured with a bit of hefty rope around the stakes and pot until I can get the ratchet strap.

Just realised I should be careful with the old hand axe, its a WW2 aircraft escape axe and I've just seen the kind of money they're being advertised for on Ebay, £45 for a scruffy one, £85 for a pristine one Not sure where my father got it, possibly from my grandfather who was in the Police during the war. I know he attended more than one crashed or crash landed aircraft, allied and German, actually first on scene at a crash landed JU88 somewhere in the Scottish borders. The crew surrendered to him!

Manufactured by Elwell, dated 1939, 21F/1 (dunno what that means), crown and AM for Air Ministry.

T4 Location Map
Old 29th May 2022, 12:32   #165354
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Probably going to be stiff tomorrow! Managed to get myself under the acer, shoulder against a big branch, shoved it upright and while doing that used a bit of wood and hammer to pack under the pot then tied wire as tight as possible around the original stake and the trunk to hold it upright. Manoeuvred my way back from under the acer, used an axe to get a better point on the new stake and hammered it in opposite the original. Secured with a bit of hefty rope around the stakes and pot until I can get the ratchet strap.

Just realised I should be careful with the old hand axe, its a WW2 aircraft escape axe and I've just seen the kind of money they're being advertised for on Ebay, £45 for a scruffy one, £85 for a pristine one Not sure where my father got it, possibly from my grandfather who was in the Police during the war. I know he attended more than one crashed or crash landed aircraft, allied and German, actually first on scene at a crash landed JU88 somewhere in the Scottish borders. The crew surrendered to him!

Manufactured by Elwell, dated 1939, 21F/1 (dunno what that means), crown and AM for Air Ministry.

That's a cool heirloom Steve My younger brother has my grandads fireman axe from WWII, It's still as good as the day it was made.

Just been onto the back field to gather a load of stinging nettles to make a batch of nettle tea, The squash plants love it. I even managed to sting my arms & hands even though I was wearing my long welding gloves
I'll have to have a bottle of Henry's apple juice to take away the pain

Bleddy mobile phones!!!! I got an email this morning saying I'd won a prize on one YT channel I'm subscribed to & to text back a message, It's taken two hours to fathom out how to send a SMS message to acknowledge the email on the bleddy thing Why cant they just keep it on email I hate the damn thing & I'm still not sure if I've done it reet.

Old 29th May 2022, 13:48   #165355
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
That's a cool heirloom Steve My younger brother has my grandads fireman axe from WWII, It's still as good as the day it was made.
I was given some of my grandfather's stuff when my uncle passed away. I've got his Police medals, whistle, a fearsome set of "handcuffs", one end clips around the prisoners wrist, you hold the other end and twist it if they "misbehave", I tried it and it effin hurts I also have a truncheon that confused me for a while, its smaller than the one my father had, turns out its a CID truncheon. I broke the mould in the family, my father and grandfather were in the Police, one uncle was a civilian Police worker in the radio room and another uncle reached the dizzy heights of Chief Inspector . . . . I didn't dare misbehave when I was a kid!

T4 Location Map
Old 29th May 2022, 20:34   #165356
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Evening all,

Now back home from a great weekend at Brands Hatch.

Got lots of photos to upload and edit from both days but here is one from today for a taster.

EY7P3768 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

I'll start a thread in the Photography Corner and post them there. Probably tomorrow now as I'm cream crackered
Old 30th May 2022, 05:04   #165357
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Morning all, morning Jeff we are looking forward to see the photos from Brands Hatch, thank you for sharing them.

What is everyone up to?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 07:07   #165358
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Morning all, It's chucking it down out there & a good deal cooler too.

Old 30th May 2022, 07:11   #165359
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Morning everyone

Blue sky again this morning.

Cracking turn out yesterday at the breakfast meet, a total of 187 cars made the meet. The Farm Shop is one of the biggest I have seen. They even sell live crabs and lobsters.

Today, along with Allen & Val, we are off up to Matt’s. Allen needs his headlights swapped over and the screen washer pump replaced. And Banana needs the back seat out to get to the trapped seatbelts.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 07:27   #165360
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Morning folks. Cool and grey here.

T4 Location Map