Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th May 2022, 08:58   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default UK going back to imperial ?

not sure i heard the news right- is the UK going back to imperial measurement?
Surely not, i would have thought as most of the world is using metric it would be better to continue to use it!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 09:09   #2
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

Wink

Looking at the story, it seems that the legal requirement to always show weights and measures in metric - which can then be supported with imperial, may be removed, leaving companies and shops to use imperial only - if they so choose. This is logical now we have left the 200 rules a week EU. For example, the rag trade traditionally uses inches, but was forced to show metric under the EU and in my business we work in grains, but should by law show grams as well. In our case we mostly ignore the rule is as it just causes confusion, with most people not knowing that g means grams and gr grains or the difference, but a bigger company could not take that risk.
Old 30th May 2022, 09:12   #3
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Surely not, i would have thought as most of the world is using metric it would be better to continue to use it!!
There is already a thread open on this subject!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 09:15   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=319367

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 09:21   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

There is to be a review, I suspect led by a senior judge or a panel of senior civil servants in the interest of efficiency and optimum use of scarce resources.

With our recently won freedoms, we are searching for new ways to lead the world and, let's face it, no other country in the world would ever think of doing something like this so by default we are demonstrating strength of purpose and leadership on the international stage.

I still have a set of feeler gauges in thou from the 1970s - retention of which I now claim to indicate forward planning and a deep understanding of political/voter trends on my part!

Last edited by MSS; 30th May 2022 at 12:30..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 11:18   #6
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
I heard the same, a longing apparently, for the good old days of hanging work houses, we already have childhood poverty, and food banks , so no need to worry about that, what else can we re-introduce by way of kidding ourselves that GB is an independent ( laugh out loudly, thinking of the 'special' relationship with uncle Sam here no less).

Yep all in all a great way forward from the Tories, after all getting Brexit done has resulted in better all round standards for the average diluted and misguided voter, inflation running wild, energy bills off the scale, fuel prices unheard of, I blame the Russians of course, nothing to do with the incompetent, out of touch, uncaring, lying,( have I left anything out?) pile of horse manure of a government running the country, personally I am not convinced there is anyone in Westminster capable of running the country now, just mediocrity, and general decline in all standards, honesty accountability, decency, respect, etc etc.

Imperial Units, yes that will always win votes.
We are living in the past, but yes IU will always do it for me, can't wait.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 11:39   #7
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I think that in a time where the cost of living is rising, thousands upon thousands are struggling to pay their bills etc that this is a wonderful use of money by the government - not.
At least those struggling to buy their food will have the choice of using grams or ounces.

The system we have works. Why waste money changing it. I suspect all those who are welcoming their blue passports will be jumping for joy
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 12:13   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Just like the introduction of 'metric' money back in the '70s to replace L, S , (pounds, shillings and pence) You can be sure that any change in the way things are measured/sold will be used as yet another way to artificially hike the real price of goods. As far as I can work out there's only 1 reason we hadn't yet switched road distances and speeds to Kmh - the cost of replacing the signs and the confusion that could legitimately arise.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 12:18   #9
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
The system we have works. Why waste money changing it. I suspect all those who are welcoming their blue passports will be jumping for joy
It only works seamlessly if that is the only system learnt. Not so good if one's schooling was in IU, used from teenage years for at least 30 years, have failing memory (dementia etc.) and then have to grapple with a new system (albeit one that should, in theory, be simpler).

Blue Passports? Are they not made in Denmark or another such EU country?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 12:26   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I............

Blue Passports? Are they not made in Denmark or another such EU country?

Kev

Of course the real and important - perhaps even life-changing - question to ask is whether the passport size and colour is to be stated in IU or Metric.