Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd June 2022, 17:17   #1
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Condenser Location?

I've had the front bumper off today, as I wanted to replace the fan resistor and the intercooler o-rings, but also to have a look at the condenser, as it appears to be at a funny angle.

It looks like there is a tag on the condenser (small arrow) which should locate in a bracket on the radiator (big arrow).

Is that correct, and will I have to loosen/move the radiator in order to do it?

Also, when trying to remove the intercooler elbow, the bolt was just spinning around. It appears that the 'experts' that have been servicing the car from new - with previous owner - have bodged it with a longer bolt and flanged nut, meaning I had to remove the headlamp to get to it.

And if that wasn't bad enough, there aren't any o-rings to replace, just some gunge to remove. It's no wonder it's so oily around the front of the engine bay!

daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:18   #2
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Lightbulb

I think I’ve partially answered my own question.

It would appear that there should be two bolts at the top of the radiator to secure the condenser. One is missing and the other doesn’t look long enough to do anything.

I’ve managed to lift the condenser so that it’s about level, but there’s no way I can get it high enough to engage with the bracket. I have a horrible feeling that I’m going to have to strip the whole lot off in order to sort it.
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:25   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Dave.
yes the condenser should sit inside the bracket, marked by the blue dots in the photo below.

with regards to the fixing point for the intercooler bend the nut should be inside the little bracket on the rad, maybe it was stuck and they damaged the plastic so it was just turning? shown by yellow dots.

The green dots show how far you need to push the bend into the intercooler, after adding Viton O-rings.

To relocate the condenser properly you need to undo the two 8mm bolts that are fixed to and through the radiator shown by red dots, and in the photo below.

once you have removed those bolts the condenser should have enough movement to lift it back into the bracket.

I will be fitting a condenser tomorrow with a member on here.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:33   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
I think I’ve partially answered my own question.

It would appear that there should be two bolts at the top of the radiator to secure the condenser. One is missing and the other doesn’t look long enough to do anything.

I’ve managed to lift the condenser so that it’s about level, but there’s no way I can get it high enough to engage with the bracket. I have a horrible feeling that I’m going to have to strip the whole lot off in order to sort it.

Dave it looks like they have put the fan bolt through the condenser bracket so it's sandwiched between the fan and the rad ?

ad altiora tendo.

Old 3rd June 2022, 20:08   #5
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Steve

One of the top bolts is missing...

and the other looks like it's too short, probably snapped and is seized in the spacer tube...

I think the fan bolt is also missing.
Old 4th June 2022, 12:49   #6
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

It goes from bad to worse.

I removed the slam panel and managed to get enough movement in the radiator shroud - which wasn't bolted to the radiator - to enable me to manoeuvre the condenser back onto the radiator brackets. I also managed to get the one remaining top bolt into its bracket.

The bad news is that there appears to be a broken lug on the intercooler, which I imagine should locate on a spigot on the side of the radiator, but obviously won't. It seems that the intercooler was only supported by the two bolts through the bottom of the fan shroud.

Difficult to see as it's very oily around there. It looks like I'll have to make some sort of bracket to try and support the intercooler.
Old 5th June 2022, 10:04   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
It goes from bad to worse.

I removed the slam panel and managed to get enough movement in the radiator shroud - which wasn't bolted to the radiator - to enable me to manoeuvre the condenser back onto the radiator brackets. I also managed to get the one remaining top bolt into its bracket.

The bad news is that there appears to be a broken lug on the intercooler, which I imagine should locate on a spigot on the side of the radiator, but obviously won't. It seems that the intercooler was only supported by the two bolts through the bottom of the fan shroud.

Difficult to see as it's very oily around there. It looks like I'll have to make some sort of bracket to try and support the intercooler.
Hi Dave
i was help a member on here yesterday to sort out his intercooler also, which it turns out was supposed to be a brand new after market intercooler, (NOT) it was an old one off another car which had been put on by a mechanic also on here, whom i can not name as the owner of the car is going to speak to him about the findings and most likely take the appropriate action via proper channels, as there as been a lot of other work undertaken on the car by said mechanic which was also not done, but the owner was charged for.

That had no locating ring brackets either, which in turn drops even though like you say as the two 8 mm bolts through the fan at the bottom, they did not make a bit of difference, it still allowed the intercooler bend with viton O-rings fitted by me to still pull out a little, well in fact it was the intercooler that was dropping as the bend as it's own support.

changing the condenser at the same time was how we found out the fault, and the second hand intercooler.

As you can see the (INTC) is not new

In this photo you can clearly see the locating peg on the rad to which the intercooler should be fitted and supported by.

Another photo showing that there are no support rings on the back of the intercooler and how far it drops with no such support.

In the end we went for a two way approach using a grub screw & cable ties on the intercooler, this maybe temporary that depends on the owner of the car, he may want to source another god intercooler.

Grub screw through intercooler and into the bend, and cable tie around the cooler and through brackets behind it.

Photo show the supporting ring brackets on a diesel intercooler, not my photo.

You may know of another was to solve it please post it up and thanks for listing your problem

ad altiora tendo.

Old 5th June 2022, 13:15   #8
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I hadn't realised there was a second ring bracket on the intercooler. I've just had another look and there is no sign of one on mine. I can see the lower peg on the radiator, though.

I did experiment with a support bracket which hooks under the intercooler and the top end is secured by the bolt holding the fan shroud to the radiator. Unfortunately, the only piece of metal I could find is too thin and bendy, so I will need to source something stronger if I pursue that.

For the time being, I've lifted the intercooler up into the correct position - the remains of the ring still locates on the peg - drilled a hole through the web and secured it to the subframe with a cable tie.

I might also add a screw and second cable-tie, as you have done.