Notices

Old 30th June 2022, 14:43   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Ian - I think your case is an exceptional one. There will always be exceptional cases.

But surely, you cannot object to my thoughts on the increasing diparity between the earnings and wealth of the wealthy relative to the bottom 25% or even the average earner. The only way to address this is to heavily tax the wealthy and wealth. There is no justification for anyone earning more that £100k PA when a technician with a science degree working in a school or college earns about £15k PA.
I can understand the query between pay, one that I have asked myself. I think a 100k is low. I do feel we need to up the minimum wage but is £15 to much?
Hopefully you and I can find middle ground. There are wages that are on the face of it ridiculous but how do you compare an office cleaner to a surgeon when it comes to pay? A loaf of bread and a tube of toothpaste costs the both the same

15k seems low, what do they do and how many hours do they work?

We have professions that we under value.
We have people that make it into the top 5% of wealth by hard work and being careful and not by being high earners
and I hope you will appreciate their efforts and not look to take it away.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2022, 16:15   #12
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
MSS is that an attack on the "rich", you seem to make your comments as blanket statements, covering one and all. So I want you to explain why I should be heavily taxed on my rental property. Before you answer please read on.
4 1/2ish years ago my sister became homeless, my wife and I put up the money for her security deposit so she could get a rental property and became the guarantors for the rent.
It was more then she could comfortably afford so when I retired I took my lump sum and my wife an I bought her a house to live in, the rent was about £200 less then "commercial" rent. It is now £300 below "commercial" rate

We gave her almost £600 towards decoration, it was the security deposit money.
In the years we have had the property we have done all our legal responsibilities, we have also put in a new boiler, new facia and this year had planned to put in a new bathroom.
Spending more money to make the house better for her, not filling our wallet with loads of wonga.
We are still out of pocket as we have not got our fees back let alone purchase price.
When a battery goes in my smoke detector I have to pay for a new battery, if a battery goes in her smoke detector she calls me. If one of my taps starts dripping I have to pay to fix it, if one of her taps starts dripping she calls me.
I have to pay the maintenance on two homes!

I can no longer "afford" to lend my daughter money. If my son wants to borrow money we are stuffed. This is because
my cash has been spent on my sister. What signal does that send to my wife and children that I spent so much money on my sister and not them?

Before this, long before this, my wife and I would send her money to help her get get through the month and it was at about this time, my wife, I found out years later, would sit down stairs crying when I had gone to bed as she did not know how we would pay our bills.

So tell me, why should I be heavily taxed for having a rental property where the above applies?
Please please when you make your comments could you please consider there are people already supporting the less well off?

macafee2

Well done for that mate.

I'm helping a niece who is going through a messy divorce, not on the same scale though.

Respect man, respect.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2022, 16:16   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I can understand the query between pay, one that I have asked myself. I think a 100k is low. I do feel we need to up the minimum wage but is £15 to much?
Hopefully you and I can find middle ground. There are wages that are on the face of it ridiculous but how do you compare an office cleaner to a surgeon when it comes to pay? A loaf of bread and a tube of toothpaste costs the both the same

15k seems low, what do they do and how many hours do they work?

We have professions that we under value.
We have people that make it into the top 5% of wealth by hard work and being careful and not by being high earners
and I hope you will appreciate their efforts and not look to take it away.

macafee2

The technician's published pay is around £19k pro-rata for an official 35-37 hours per week (excluding lunch break etc.) So in reality a 40-hour week. But the pay is reduced pro-rata because of the summer break down to 38-40 weeks, reducing the actual pay to £15k. The same occurs with teacher's pay - it's similarly reduced from the published pay scales.

As a wealthy nation we have no excuse for not paying a living wage to anyone - this is probably around £12 per-hour i.e £23k PA. Your surgeon or CEO of say an education trust or a university vice-chancellor earning £100k to £120k max would be paid a premium of a 4-5 multiplying factor to account for the education and skill level. As it is, vice-chancellors often earn £400k to £500k PA!

Overall, we are suffering from an industial scale mutual appreciation at senior management levels resulting in excessive pay increases. It was announced last week that Birmingham Airport's Chief Executive received a 49% pay increase to take his salary to a mere £595k PA - at a time that these airports are unable to provide basic services to their customers!
Old 30th June 2022, 16:21   #14
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Number of my former colleagues earned somewhat in excess of £100k. Boy they worked for it and if they made a mistake people could get killed. Besides some folk need to be motivated and sadly for them it's money.

As for the original point, I don't think it's right. We're looking at properties around the country and the odd one pops up that has a clause in the sale that it must go to a farm worker? Not sure of the solution though, it's their money.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2022, 16:27   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Number of my former colleagues earned somewhat in excess of £100k. Boy they worked for it and if they made a mistake people could get killed. Besides some folk need to be motivated and sadly for them it's money.

As for the original point, I don't think it's right. We're looking at properties around the country and the odd one pops up that has a clause in the sale that it must go to a farm worker? Not sure of the solution though, it's their money.

I know many people who have earned over £100k PA and worked extremely hard for it. Equally, I also know many professionals who earn between £15k and £35k and work at least as hard.

As for the sale to a farm worker, this will be due to a covenant on the use of the building. It is not unknown for farmers to sell farm worker cottages off and then a few years later apply to build a house on the land to provide accommodation for a farm worker!