Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th July 2022, 13:57   #11
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I ran my clutchless car over to Kevin straight from work in the early hours of today. The tax ran out on the first of the month so l took as many back roads as l could to try & avoid the cameras but am prepared for the eventuality & will declare it if asked on renewing, which should be Monday when Kevin MoT's her. Borg & Beck clutch, OEM slave & new guide tube from DMGRS.
I might even have my fuel gauge back.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 6th July 2022 at 14:00..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2022, 14:23   #12
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

That's it then. I just had the second slave cylinder & clutch assembly fitted to the 75 in my ownership. The slave cylinder failed completely after 60,000 miles & a few months of giving signs that it was on the way out. The pedal fell to the floor on the A13 not far from work so l completed my journey clutchless & got her home the same way in the early hours.
As l mentioned, due to my general motor finances (Morris Oxford recommissioning, a P6 2000TC re-shell project & my P6 V8 being prepared for the market) the 75 then sat outside the house for a few months until the DVLA reminded me that the MoT had run out so the tax would not be renewed automatically which obviously needed a response from me, not a bad thing. So l booked the car in with Kevin for the clutch work & MoT test. He told me to order the clutch so l went for this one with the OEM-Q slave cylinder:
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...1068-uub100193
Scott had run out of slave guide tubes but got some in the day before the car was booked in & sent it all to Kevin by FedEx next day/AM delivery. Very good service from him so thanks are due there.

I drove the car clutchless over to Wickford in the early hours after work last week, sticking to backroads as much as possible to avoid as many ANPR cameras as l could due to the tax now also being expired. By Monday the work was done & the MoT & tax both renewed. A Lambda sensor was also required for the test & l had the oil & filter changed plus the duff fuel gauge needs a replacement nearside tank sensor to cure it when we find one cheaper than £250 from Rimmers.
As we know, the master cylinder is often replaced too but me being loath to automatically bin a known good one, especially as it took three attempts to actually get a good one at the first clutch change, Kevin tested mine, found it to still be good, flushed it through & kept it in service (he had new ones on the shelf in case). With MoT, all in the bill was £340. The clutch does indeed feel smoother & lighter than l recall it ever being before now so fingers crossed & the whole car got a clean bill of health from Kevin but did mention the top end would benefit from some reconditioning work, although it's not urgent. Though the 1.8 is the most economical version of the 75 to work on, l'll wait & see how the ULEZ wind is faring over the next few months.
So a good job from & thanks to Kevin including lifts to & from the train station. I collected the car on Wednesday on my way to work which is only fifteen minutes from Wickford as it happens, so that's handy too.

And fingers still crossed, the short lack of tax won't be mentioned by the DVLA.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 15th July 2022 at 14:26..
Old 15th July 2022, 16:33   #13
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Glad you got good service from Kevin, I've never had an issue with any of the work he has carried out for me over the years.
He is always friendly and helpful (although often very busy!).
Old 15th July 2022, 23:09   #14
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Yes, very good indeed & not difficult to get to whether the car needs to stay or not. Thanks.