Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th April 2017, 19:50   #1
Barry1957

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Clutch pedal straight to floor

Earlier today my clutch went straight to the floor, I managed to lift it back up and pumped it a few times and got some clutch pressure back, but the clutch was very heavy and the bite was just off the floor. I drove back home and while parking the clutch went to the floor again and now the pedal has no pressure and goes straight to the floor every time. I have since tried to check the fluid level and after eventually finding the master cylinder is hidden behind the clutch pedal, I have not been able to access it as I am getting on in years and arthritis means I am not as able bodied as I as in earlier years. I have had a few stupid quotes from various places all of them ridiculous costs. Can anyone please help me find a cost effective solution.
Barry1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 20:11   #2
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Have you seen any evidence of fluid leaking in the footwear or under the car?

I had this issue last year and there was no sign of fluid but the slave cylinder had failed and however much I topped up the master, the pedal kept hitting the floor after a few presses.

What age and mileage is the car? Has it had a clutch replaced before?

Clutch bleeding info..

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=156

Last edited by steveharvey2001; 13th April 2017 at 20:16..
steveharvey2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 20:20   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

There are two things that normally give the symptoms you are having.

1/ The master cylinder at the top of the clutch pedal has failed.

2/ The slave cylinder in the clutch housing has failed.

The master cylinder is not too expensive to replace. ( But dear enough. )

The slave cylinder replacement requires the gear box to come off and will cost quite a lot. If this is done it's normal to replace the clutch at the same time as the major cost in the removal of the gear box is the labour charge.

There were some forum members prepared to do this work but I'm not sure how you would contact them.--Others on the forum would know this however.

Much cheaper than most garages would charge.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 20:42   #4
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Clutch time I'm afraid if it's your slave. Make sure you get it done by someone that knows what they're doing. Cost wise - around £500-600. They'll be an expert from the club around your area that will be able to do it.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 21:15   #5
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

I had these guys do mine. Was under 400 for the full clutch excluding master.

http://www.a1-clutches.co.uk/

I took mine to Tipton but Birmingham may be more convenient for you.
Old 13th April 2017, 23:15   #6
Barry1957

Rover 75 Tourer

The car has done 140000 miles, so presuming it has had a couple of clutches with that mileage, as regarding fluid leaks, i have not seen any evidence either inside or under the car. i was recovered by the AA and the he seemed well convinced that is was the master cylinder that had failed. I on the other hand, would rather find proof, rather than stab in the dark on the first persons say so. Thank you for what you say and I will have to find a way to check the fluid level, before i start spending money on parts.
Barry1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 08:15   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry1957 View Post
The car has done 140000 miles, so presuming it has had a couple of clutches with that mileage, as regarding fluid leaks, i have not seen any evidence either inside or under the car. i was recovered by the AA and the he seemed well convinced that is was the master cylinder that had failed. I on the other hand, would rather find proof, rather than stab in the dark on the first persons say so. Thank you for what you say and I will have to find a way to check the fluid level, before i start spending money on parts.
If you follow the hydraulic pipe along the back of the engine bay, you will find it has a joint in it, under the battery, but visible with battery still in place. The joint can be parted and is self sealing to either side.

Assuming fluid in the MC and the joint parted, if the MC is OK your clutch pedal should be solid/ not press down very far. If it still goes down, then the MC is at fault. If it seems OK, then the slave has failed.

Clutch is below the battery, with two hydraulic pipes going down into it. The first the pipe from the MC and the second a short one to allow the system to be bled, which terminates in a bleed nipple.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 11:28   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry1957 View Post
Below is a pic for you to look at-----------------Click on it to get a bigger picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bleed-Nipple.jpg (75.2 KB, 114 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 15:54   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

welome.
the bell housing may be holding clutch fluid, the master cylinder does not hold very much.
DMGRS did at one time offer this service, Andy Willi does it I think at your house, he is a member here.
A word of warning, prepared for extra unexpected bills. I have had to replace drop links, low arm bushes and strut bearings as I found all these were duff while doing a clutch job

cost effective solution, prove if master cylinder is leaking or a joint in the pipe work.

I was going to ask what are your DIY skills like but I see from your original post DIY is not a possibility.

DMGRS is a trader here. This is his web site, you can check the cost of parts

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 07:03   #10
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the feedback. I've done quite a few jobs so far on the beast, including rebuilding and refitting the high pressure diesel pump - long job and no knuckles left at the end but satisfying nonetheless. I've also replaced both rear back plates, requiring a fair bit of hacksawing to free up the handbrake cables, but the kits provided by DMGRS were pretty complete and offered an nice complete solution. Also changed rear hubs, with the aid of an angle grinder for ceased inner races, rear coil springs and generally done basic servicing.

Never tackled a clutch, but just read up the procedure for changing the master cylinder and if I use the original pipes and the part supplied by DMGRS I should be able to replace that pretty quickly and see if once bled that this does the trick.
Your point about separating the self sealing joint under the battery is a good one to determine if the slave is at fault, but given there is a weep from the master cylinder on first inspection, I may as well just get on and change that anyway given the fact it is already on its way out.

Fortunately we have another car to bob about in so not in a great rush.

Thanks again for all your inputs which are pretty informative.

Regards Larry
larryr123 is offline   Reply With Quote