Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd November 2020, 14:46   #1
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Battery Eater

My 2005 ZT diesel has got herself an appetite for munching through the battery if she's not run a few times a week. A couple of time this year she's done it after being sat for about 10 days. As far as I'm aware, I've no lights left on, nothing plugged into the 12v socket so I'm at a bit of a loss what's causing it.
Read somewhere that blocked plenums causing water backing up into the ECU can cause a sudden battery drain - they've been cleared out only 4 or 5 weeks ago. Battery was brand new back in May and was taken out and fully recharged in September and taken for a run 2-3 times a week up until mid October.

I know the simple solution is to run the old girl every day, but it's not always practical, especially as it's a bit of a rolling resto and now with 3 cars on the drive, she's been relegated to the back of the queue.
Any ideas?
FrattonEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:21   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Have you got factory fitted sat nav?
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:40   #3
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Have you got factory fitted sat nav?

Nope, poverty spec on that front!
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:59   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Are you sure that the battery is OK. One cell down may still give a decent voltage reading but will fail under load. (ie 5 cells at 2.4 volts = 12volts but the sixth cell may be jiggered).
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:55   #5
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Are you sure that the battery is OK. One cell down may still give a decent voltage reading but will fail under load. (ie 5 cells at 2.4 volts = 12volts but the sixth cell may be jiggered).

I hope it's OK. It was brand new back in May. And not a dodgy brand either - went for Bosch. If it's not, I won't be happy.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:01   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

fully charge the battery off the car, leave it off the car for 10 days, refit and see what happens. It would be better if you have a test meter, charge the battery and see what voltage you get across the terminals, once you take it off charge and 10 days later.
I say 10 days as op said 10 days

Have you an ampmeter? You could then test what amperage is being drawn with everything turned off. screwfix do one that is not too expensive

even new batterys can be faulty, had one a coupe of years ago from Halfords but they changed it no problem

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:36   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes check the current drain when all the ECUs have gone to sleep. Plenty of threads on here with good advice if you do a search. I've had a faulty CD Autochanger in the boot causing a battery drain. You don't have a fuel burning heaterdo you? They can fail and come on when no-one is looking and drain the battery.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:14   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
fully charge the battery off the car, leave it off the car for 10 days, refit and see what happens. It would be better if you have a test meter, charge the battery and see what voltage you get across the terminals, once you take it off charge and 10 days later.
I say 10 days as op said 10 days

Have you an ampmeter? You could then test what amperage is being drawn with everything turned off. screwfix do one that is not too expensive

even new batterys can be faulty, had one a coupe of years ago from Halfords but they changed it no problem

macafee2
Had the same experience. Yuasa battery failed after 10 months. Halfords replaced it after testing it under warranty. But I wasted a lot of time checking everything before I finally realised my 'new' battery was faulty.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:05   #9
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Thanks for all the pointers.

Plan of action is:
- charge the battery up off the car and reinstall in the next couple of days (only because I need to move her)
- check the drain when everything is off (got a multimeter, so that's not a problem)
- If there is a drain that looks excessive, disconnect the CD changer, as that has been playing up recently. Thought it was damp in the boot, but maybe it's something else...

- drop the battery out of the car, recharge and leave alone for 10 days and check voltage. With the new lockdown starting and I'm not sure if I'm needed in the office, this shouldn't be an issue.

I've not got the FBH fitted, as far as I'm aware, so that's one off the list.

One thing I did notice last night. Did try my boost back - only suitable for up to 1800 petrol or 1600 diesel. Dash lit up nicely, but not enough to get her to turn over. About 20 seconds after trying to start (only gave her one try) the dash lights shut down. Disconnecting and reconnecting the boost pack was the only way to get any life back.
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:22   #10
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I was having the same problem with my Diesel, would die after a couple of days I put this down to lack of use, so trickle charged the battery and fitted a battery isolator, no further problems so far.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote