Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th March 2021, 13:40   #1
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Valve seals on 1.8t

a mechanic has diagnosed leaking valve stem seals on my 1.8t as the cure for white smoke. Is there anything else that could be replaced while he's doing this? He's replacing them without replacing the head. And incidentally what do people think is a fair price for him to charge? Would welcome comments.
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 14:36   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

In my experience , valve stem oil seals leaking produces blue smoke as the oil burns , especially on startup
Are you sure of the colour ?
You're not losing any water , are you ?
If you have any tappet noise , whilst he has them out to access the seals would be a good time to dismantle them and clean the internals . I wish him luck replacing the valve collets with the head still on the car ; they're fiddly little things !

Last edited by chris75; 6th March 2021 at 15:02..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 14:54   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I always though with faulty stem seals - the smoke (blueish/whiteish) was only on start up but once underway it dies down - as opposed to HGF where you get white steam all the time when moving.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 15:22   #4
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donc View Post
a mechanic has diagnosed leaking valve stem seals on my 1.8t as the cure for white smoke. Is there anything else that could be replaced while he's doing this? He's replacing them without replacing the head. And incidentally what do people think is a fair price for him to charge? Would welcome comments.
Usually passing Valve stem seals give a puff of blue /white smoke on start up and will often do the same after engine over run when putting your foot back on the throttle ( eg after dropping down a hill) Now your engine is turbo charged so that adds another potential as turbo seals can pass and let oil into the engine via the inlet manifold , This usually is continuous smoke on open throttle
Martin (Yorkshire GOC) gave another avenue of potential
Personally my advice would be for you to measure your engine fluid consumption
Any Coolant top up is an issue as coolant system should not use any fluid and as for oil I, don’t have the figure but defiantly shouldn’t be over a pint per 1000 miles
Both my K series engines for example will run between services with out a top up
Hope this helps
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 15:27   #5
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My 1.8 non turbo gives a short burst of oily smoke after standing overnight, goes away within a couple of seconds. Had head gasket replaced last year and no wish to strip it off for new valve seals. Not causing any smoke once driving so will leave well alone.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 16:54   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

You can fettle the valve seals without recourse to removing the head. -you just need the right equipment.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 17:43   #7
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
You can fettle the valve seals without recourse to removing the head. -you just need the right equipment.
Martin

We use to do this with compressed air with a fitting through the spark plug hole
This would also highlight any bypass via the valves or pistons !
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2021, 18:10   #8
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I have come to the conclusion that my problem is NOT valve stem oil seals! Noticed after a long motorway trip mid April that the next morning there was no oily smoke, same again the next day, then topped up from just showing on dip stick to halfway mark, smoked again for a few days. Let oil go down to just above minimum and no smoke on start up. For the last couple of weeks checked every couple of days and put 1/4 litre in to bring level up to just above minimum, again no smoke. Got to be wear on pistons / bore and burning until heated up as if it was valve stems it would still smoke on start up. Has anyone noticed this before?
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2021, 18:37   #9
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I think..

I think your Turbo is on the way out.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote