Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2021, 15:57   #1
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Default Front arm modification

I have had a few spare hours today and thought I would try an idea. On my classic car the ball joints last for years because they are greased a couple of times a year. As we know the ball joints fail on the arms and I thought if I could get some grease in there it might prolong there life.

And after a couple of seconds with my grease gun i had grease coming through.

Thoughts? My guess it can only help.

I have just to work out a way of doing it on the car so I dont have to remove them.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 16:24   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

That looks a nice fix , but I'm not sure there's really a problem ?
My car is 20 years old , 120k miles , and still happy on the original arms . Maybe it's cheap replacements that fail , so the grease nipple could be a good idea on those !
Old 28th June 2021, 16:32   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

If the ball is in a plastic/nylon cup, you have to use the correct lubricant or the "grease" may lead to premature wear and/or degradation!

https://www.machinedesign.com/motors...nd-more-part-2

Last edited by roverbarmy; 28th June 2021 at 17:52..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 16:39   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It’s normally the joint that fits into the hub that wears out first, the larger ball joint is normally ok.
Old 28th June 2021, 17:34   #5
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Maybe I have just been unlucky as I have had to replace both my arms and both have failed on this ball joint.

I will look to see if I can fit a grease nipple to the other ball joint.
Old 29th June 2021, 11:08   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i have changed my lower front arms 3 times in 42 k. always the lower balljoint fails leaving the rear rubber bushes still in decent condition on the rear but i change them out anyway as par for the course. i have now lemforder arms just gone on from autodoc. looking at the lower balljoint i can tell you that the diameter of the casting on the balljoint is at least 5 or 6 mm bigger. if that equates to a stronger balljoint i will have to see. bit pricey but i hate this job replacing them outside on the main road on my back in all weathers. so for me it would be worth it if they do last longer. !!
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 11:27   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
That looks a nice fix , but I'm not sure there's really a problem ?
My car is 20 years old , 120k miles , and still happy on the original arms . Maybe it's cheap replacements that fail , so the grease nipple could be a good idea on those !
yes your right. thought i was doing the right thing at 42k when i changed my originals and binned them.... wish i had not. just replaced both sides inner and outer tie rods that were originals only to find they are still very good and serviceable. i have put those away this time as they are good enough to go back on if needed. suppliers of these spares can only supply whats being made and its becoming increasingly evident that in the cut throat world of aftermarket spares cheapness of production quality is the key to increased sales. it is what it is.
Old 29th June 2021, 18:05   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Stefan. I am not in favour of ‘it is what it is’ persay, because it is what it is at the moment because a lot of people buy on price, not everyone, but probably 50/50. If we threw it back at the retailer who probably makes the most money on these items, when they go ‘up the shoot’, we would probably get something done about the c#*p that is being supplied to us as spares. I started doing this a few years ago, and have even got replacement parts for my troubles. You never win anything by sitting back and taking it.
Old 29th June 2021, 20:42   #9
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Suppliers of these spares can only supply whats being made and its becoming increasingly evident that in the cut throat world of aftermarket spares cheapness of production quality is the key to increased sales. it is what it is.
As I have said before when we purchase these items we should ask for the one with the best warranty not the cheapest. The problem is we ask for the cheapest and the suppliers keep making them cheaper.

Some parts are so cheap to make they dont even ask for the old one back if it fails. I was asked to fit a rear silencer to an Astra ''just to get it through the MOT''. 11 months later it was blowing at one of the welds, I produced the original invoice and was just given another and told to put the old one in the bin.
Old 29th June 2021, 21:01   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

agreed it is the consumers fault up to a point. this is a diminishing market as these cars disappear on a daily basis. even lemforder and trw now come under the same german umbrella company as i have just tried both brands from autodoc . the only difference is a hand punched stamp below the bottom bearing casting. oh and different coloured plastic pin protectors. im sure they are the same manufacturer by their packaging style even though they have a different name printed on the packaged bags.. they all come with the same health and safety instruction booklet thats stamped with a group company logo rsk (or similar name i cant remember) german manufacturing company. i for one would pay double price for my spares if they proved to be as good quality as the originals. its worth it to me.i am a daily driver in my 75.lots on this forum only come out a few times a year and spares of low quality are not an issue ... suits them fine due to low milage.... and good luck to them. this is the main reason you will not force a change in buying low cost rubbish. thats why im afraid it is what it is ..

Last edited by xsport; 29th June 2021 at 21:14..