Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2021, 08:52   #1
postbasher
Avid contributor

Rover Connoisseur cdt se auto

Default Handbrake disintegrated i think😬

If anybody is in walsall/aldridge area i could certainly use some help.. am temping on a farm near aldridge and couple of dark stormy nights ago i went to reverse and omg!..not a nice sound��. i thought the exhaust had dropped and i had reversed over it! But i hadnt and am thinking its handbrake components...I have a couple of options but my first is to see my money go to another forum member if aid can be had?...if someone has the tools and knowledge and can get the parts i can atleast get the car into a barn out of the weather for you.
For the sake of time and ease i can be contacted via pm
Reckon alternative is to AA it to a garage...
Many thanx
Mark

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 29th October 2021 at 17:12.. Reason: Phone number removed
postbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 11:44   #2
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

hi Mark,

Sorry to hear of your problem I cannot help to come to walsal to do it for you and unless somebody comes forward and wants to spend another dark evening on a farm taking wheels of not knowing what they will find, I guess its best to get it recovered to a dry well lit garage, but do your homework on their hourly rate first!

What can happen is usually one of two things: that the brake backplates have rotted to the point where the spring-loaded handbrake shoe retainers have pulled through (there is a bodge with a washer here but ultimatly two new backplates and a couple of hours to fit), or the breakshoe friction material has become unbonded from the shoe itself... so a pair of new handbreak shoes and handbreak adjustment needed here.

I have had both of these happen to me, and I think it is fair to say that is a common fail on our old cars.

Best of luck
Old 29th October 2021, 12:00   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

As above, budget for a pair of backplates, handbrake shoes and fitting kit, if it were me, I throw on new discs and pads at the same time, you can forget about it for a while then.
Old 29th October 2021, 12:07   #4
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Exactly the same happened to me just a couple of months ago. Backplates had rotted out allowing the brake shoes to rattle round like they were in a tumble drier! I'm fortunate enough to live only 100 yards or so from a garage who were able to fit me in, so I limped the car round for them to get it sorted. It was the week before my daughter went off to uni and 3 weeks before the MOT was due and I didn't have the time to do it myself. Full set of backplates plus all the bits already fitted, discs and shoes. Handbrake now works and doesn't sound like 4 kilos of metal on high spin.
Old 29th October 2021, 12:25   #5
postbasher
Avid contributor

Default Handbrake disintegrated?

As a means to enable me to get to a garage can i take brake shoes, and anything loose away...put drum back on and simply not touch the handbrake?...am auto and use 'park' a lot anyway?
Old 29th October 2021, 12:28   #6
postbasher
Avid contributor

Also...if i order everything thru DMRGS can anybody recommend a garage local to Aldridge?👍
Old 29th October 2021, 15:55   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbasher View Post
As a means to enable me to get to a garage can i take brake shoes, and anything loose away...put drum back on and simply not touch the handbrake?...am auto and use 'park' a lot anyway?
although not recommended as the authorities may take a dim view if you get stopped, the answer I would say is yes.
If you are prepared to drive and want to avoid labour costs I am 2 hours away.
what could you need? worst case, Shoes, back plates, adjusters, springs and "collars/cups", the retaining pins and springs and if you are very unlucky, discs.
This is a complete back plate from DMGRS

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...0290-smn000140

I would hope the old adjusters and return sprigs could be reused

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 17:02   #8
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
although not recommended as the authorities may take a dim view if you get stopped, the answer I would say is yes.
what could you need? worst case, Shoes, back plates, adjusters, springs and "collars/cups", the retaining pins and springs and if you are very unlucky, discs.

macafee2

Or if you’re really unlucky (like me&#128580, a new handbrake cable (or 2).
Just take your time getting the old cable out of the old backplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 17:57   #9
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
Be careful of your wheel bearing if driving with broken bits of the brakes floating about.

That is a good price for all those bits, and I've just ordered it today from DMGRS. I've been searching around online this week for these and you'll struggle to beat DMGRS, the cheapest parts elsewhere cost about the same without the handbrake collar/cups, so these are effectively free.

I had an ABS fault which was sorted last week. The wheel bearing reluctor ring had been damaged by bits of rusty back plate falling away, and was giving an ABS fault. The wheel bearing is now useless.

A trip to Exeter Rd garage and T4 diagnosis. They replaced the wheel bearing with a second hand unit and cleaned up all the flaking bits of back plate. Fortunately my hand brake is still operational.
I will be replacing these next week when all the bits arrive.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 21:08   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I am having a pm conversation with Mark, sorry Mark I did not use your name in the pm I sent you.

Gents do you think shoes, back plates pins, springs for pins and cups are enough to buy in advance or do you think additional parts should be ordered in advance?
Also if one side has failed do you think it prudent to order in advance parts to do the other side?

I will have to look at the Haynes manual for changing a wheel bearing just in case

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote