Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2022, 12:06   #1
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Default Jatco 506E aito transmission

Hi all, the Jatco auto box in my MG ZTT will not change into 4th or 5th gears . Other than that it operates perfectly satisfactorily. I have changed the fluid using the correct grade and ensured that it is at the correct level.

From my research it appears that there may be problem with the solenoids. There are nine altogether of which three appear to deal with the gear shift but which one I am not so sure. I was thinking of a scanning check and a multimeter check but those checks may be inconclusive. Does anyone know which solenoid would be responsible for this problem?

Thanks
Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 15:56   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
Hi all, the Jatco auto box in my MG ZTT will not change into 4th or 5th gears . Other than that it operates perfectly satisfactorily. I have changed the fluid using the correct grade and ensured that it is at the correct level.

From my research it appears that there may be problem with the solenoids. There are nine altogether of which three appear to deal with the gear shift but which one I am not so sure. I was thinking of a scanning check and a multimeter check but those checks may be inconclusive. Does anyone know which solenoid would be responsible for this problem?

Thanks

Martin
There is a pin out diagram with the appropriate values. Use the search bar (I cannot find it to share), and enter brake duty solenoid. This should yield a number of posts, but you will have to wade through them to find the appropriate diagram, unless someone can post it up.

Also search youtube for Jatco 506 solenoid. There are a lot of videos regarding the gearbox and repair (mainly us, but they are still relevant)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 16:19   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i believe mat dmgrs has one in the "how to"" sections on here. otherwise ,plenty on the search bar as you said clf. worth a note as well that pins on the plug joint under the battery bay connector for the autobox have given problems when cleaning was required. i dont think a definitive diagnosis is possible without checking all circuits for all solenoids, as most work in conjunction with each other, for example speed sensors etc. ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 19:48   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

post number 4 has the diagram

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=112269

Old 19th January 2022, 07:56   #5
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Thanks for the responses guys. I already had the diagram for the pins but what I was really after was which actual solenoid is probably responsible for the symptoms which I described. I have already searched the internet for the answer but no luck.

Has anyone experienced the symptoms and how did they rectify it.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 16:14   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default mr toad

the best advice would be to check them all before attempting a solenoid replacement. after all it may be possible that you have more than one issue in there including speed sensors. i dont think you would like to go in there again after a fluid change and gasket / seal of the front pan. only to find you have to revisit the job... your choice of course. ...
Old 19th January 2022, 16:25   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

what does the dash ipk illumination display. does it display "d" when this occurs not changing up ? if not it could show "3" meaning the box wont go higher if the cable linkage under the box is not tight or loose at the bolt. did you inspect the twist plug on top of the box for clean connections ? dont forget you have been working on the engine /coolant recently. just a couple of thoughts......
Old 19th January 2022, 20:08   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I already had the diagram for the pins but what I was really after was which actual solenoid is probably responsible for the symptoms which I described. I have already searched the internet for the answer but no luck.

Has anyone experienced the symptoms and how did they rectify it.

Martin
did the results of the meter test show any issues? The gearbox also restricts changes when cold, and with the multi plugs there is an option to test the sensor. Not sure what the figures should be, but they may be available on RAVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
what does the dash ipk illumination display. does it display "d" when this occurs not changing up ? if not it could show "3" meaning the box wont go higher if the cable linkage under the box is not tight or loose at the bolt. did you inspect the twist plug on top of the box for clean connections ? dont forget you have been working on the engine /coolant recently. just a couple of thoughts......
that is a good call on the cables.