Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2022, 11:51   #1
H.Tamás

Rover 75

Default Can't open the door

Hi!
I have a 2004, Rover 75 1.8 petrol, now the thing is. I wanted to go in the office, but the door lock won't open. Turning the key left or right nothing happen.
The buttons on the key sadly stopped working. I found some post about this, but none helped me.
I thought to open the trunk and push in the middle armrest area then try to open the door lock with the buttons between the seats. But I'm afraid that i cant open it, and the alarm will go on for too long.
Is there an another method which is easier or something more simple ?
H.Tamás is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 14:20   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

you need to sort out the remote fob first i think. have you checked the battery in the fob is good ? put a new battery in and resync the key by pressing 3 times to see if it will work again. you will need to sort it to open the boot on your model anyway. with regards to the key itself , usually if it does not turn anything but the barrel just turns left or right ,its the belt inside that is broken. either that or the servo motor is toast, or something has disconnected mechanically , or a plug / wire connection etc. start with the key remote fob first, and see where you go from there..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 14:32   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

there is also a post on here somewhere in which the boot lock was energised from down under the offside wheel arch , or somewhere similar ( its on here somewhere ) in order to open the boot. you will have to do a search. there are members on here that could sort your key by mail post i think, you could also ask on the forum for help in a post. you really do need to sort this key problem out and get yourself a spare. ...
Old 16th February 2022, 16:36   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

will the door open from the inside via the handle?
Do the windows wind down if you put the key in the door lock and turn it???? to the right or left ?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 17:05   #5
Bazzateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
will the door open from the inside via the handle?
If only he could get in the car to try that!
Old 16th February 2022, 17:35   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzateer View Post
If only he could get in the car to try that!
see the second line of my post! I think the key will need to be held in position longer then as if unlocking the car

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2022, 15:06   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

if the OP gets the key working (or spare if he has one ) with the remote , he can access the boot and passenger door i would have thought. once inside , door open /doorcard off and repair. the alarm will be turned off as well with the key. this was always going to happen one day. no remote fob working and no spare key , as we all know the servo in the doors will go eventually. maybe someone would know a way to activate the unlock mechanism via electronics under the bonnet somehow, or putting a charge to the passenger door solenoid. you could go in under the wheel arch to undo the bonnet with the cable and disconnect the battery and take it from there. the alarm will go off briefly but what if it does ? sort the keys out is the long term fix....
Old 17th February 2022, 15:15   #8
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

turning the key in the door barrel will unlock and lock on mine. if i hold the key in the locking position it will indeed close the window if open. to be honest i have never tried opening the windows in the opposite direction. there are no electrics attatched to the barrel itself so the action has to be triggered through the operation of the servo. if the cable is snapped on the dogbone then of course this will not occur which ever way the key is turned and held....
Old 18th February 2022, 12:51   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

it will be interesting to see what the O.P does with that lump hammer on the rear passenger quarter light window glass. .... as we have not heard any news ...
Old 19th February 2022, 07:35   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
turning the key in the door barrel will unlock and lock on mine. if i hold the key in the locking position it will indeed close the window if open. to be honest i have never tried opening the windows in the opposite direction. there are no electrics attatched to the barrel itself so the action has to be triggered through the operation of the servo. if the cable is snapped on the dogbone then of course this will not occur which ever way the key is turned and held....

Yes sounds like the OP has probably had the cable between the barrel lock and locking assembly break. This can be the result when the remote locking/unlocking fails and the key is repeatedly used.

So if anyone else has remote locking problems the time to fix them is now, whilst you can still get in.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 20th February 2022 at 12:50..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote