Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2022, 14:42   #1
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default It never rains but it snows

I brought the car to the MOT station and it failed. Excessively worn nearside suspension ball joint. Both suspension arms were replaced in January with new ones from DMGRS. Do I now instruct my garage to remove nearside lower suspension arm and send it back to DMGRS asking for a replacement for a faulty suspension arm. If DMGRS say the original is perfectly sound, (which I expect) then who pays the costs? MOT stations here are government run and I anticipate endless argument and blame shifting. Who am I to question their superior knnowledge.
I'll sleep on it I think.
I'm having a bad run at present

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 15:05   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

First thing I'd do is contact Mat (DMGRS) and make him aware, see what he says.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 15:19   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I would first clarify the joint they have failed. "suspension ball joint" could be the one in the arm or it could be the hub that is worn, giving the appearance of a worn joint at the end of the arm, could even be the lower joint on the drop link?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 15:27   #4
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I brought the car to Rob at Ards Rover &Mini Centre. He will be examining the car tomorrow. Then we shall determine how we proceed. Both of us, reading the MOT's centre's report, believe it is the outer ball joint on the suspension arm that they have identified.
Fred
Old 24th March 2022, 16:39   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I would imagine that that is the hub that is worn, sometimes this can be sorted out by tightening the bolt with a few extra NM

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 20:15   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Not seeing the "Loose" joint it is difficult to say exactly what is "Loose" You say that the the lower arms were replaced ni January.. Being such a short space of time it is feasible that the pinch bolt that holds the hub carrier onto the lower arm ball joint was not tightened up to the required torque. Maybe check that out and check the torque setting

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 20:38   #7
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

That had accurred to me but the garage man who fitted it is normally very reliable. Anyway I am leaving it with Rob at Ards to sort the whole thing out. I replaced the roadspring pre-covid and fitted new bolts. There was no sign of wear then. Needless to say mileage during covid was about 1600 in total.

Fred
Old 24th March 2022, 21:18   #8
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Byrne View Post
That had accurred to me but the garage man who fitted it is normally very reliable. Anyway I am leaving it with Rob at Ards to sort the whole thing out. I replaced the roadspring pre-covid and fitted new bolts. There was no sign of wear then. Needless to say mileage during covid was about 1600 in total.

Fred
Maybe but I I know of cases when they have been "Tightened" and after a short time the car develops a Knock on the suspension And the pinch bolt needed torquing up by a decent amount

Please let us know the out come.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 22:08   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The first hub I had fail was after the lower arm was replaced by a main dealer, as the car was company owned. The mechanics were experienced, well trained and would have followed the official schedule, and after having a couple fail over the years myself, I think the official torque figure for the clamp bolt, 45Nm is very much on the limit to hold the hub securely.

Add to the mix the use of aftermarket parts and varying tolerances, and it isn't surprising to see why the clamp bolt doesn't hold the ball joint securely in some cases and then the hub will wear over time. Once that has happened the only option is to replace the hub.

I use new nuts and bolts, torque them to 55Nm and check that there is no play between the hub and lower arm, and then check again a week or two later just to ensure all is good.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2022, 06:38   #10
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Just checked underneath the car. My garage fitted the wrong bolt. I am livid and afraid to drive the car until a new one arrives from Rimmers. Hoping this hasn't ruined either hub or suspension arm.

Fred