Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th June 2022, 21:17   #11
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Might be the crankshaft sensor.
That was my first thought, although having looked into it, I don’t think the tacho would be working if it was.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2022, 05:15   #12
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Red face

Which route are you going to France ?

Was it raining prior to stopping ?

Plenum ?
Under-bonnet fuel-pump pressure connector (close to the battery) pulling out ?
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...81&postcount=3

Under-bonnet fusebox corrosion ?

PS If the engine stopped and no fault has been found, the problem may well reoccur. Do we need to warn the French section of this club ???? Madamoiselle Colvert, Tu es réveillée ? C'est un autre R75 diesel crapped out sur la motorway !!!

Last edited by MarkS; 26th June 2022 at 05:36..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2022, 09:45   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDoc View Post
Thank you so much Ian. Ironically as the AA pulled up I tried the engine and the so and so fired up. It was a bit laboured at first but soon picked up. We have driven to the services onbthe A43 for a while and going to risk going further. I think it is deffo a fuel issue but not either of the pumps but air getting in somewhere. Going to replace the fuel filter assembly when we get home and order a new fan from Jules.

Dave how much fuel did you have in the tank? If it was below a quarter full and you think air is getting in then your ITP has failed. If you disconnect the outlet pipe from the UBP where it enters the fuel filter, place the end in a large jar, then with key to position II you should get a good strong flow of fuel into the jar. If you get loads of air and noises like a kid sucking on an empty McDonalds milkshake through a straw then likely the ITP is shot, unless of course someone has been inside the tank and upset the pipework.

The ITPs can come and go when they start to fail, but get worse as time goes by until they finally buy the farm.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 07:46   #14
NewDoc
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Dave how much fuel did you have in the tank? If it was below a quarter full and you think air is getting in then your ITP has failed. If you disconnect the outlet pipe from the UBP where it enters the fuel filter, place the end in a large jar, then with key to position II you should get a good strong flow of fuel into the jar. If you get loads of air and noises like a kid sucking on an empty McDonalds milkshake through a straw then likely the ITP is shot, unless of course someone has been inside the tank and upset the pipework.

The ITPs can come and go when they start to fail, but get worse as time goes by until they finally buy the farm.
It's certainly worth checking but the car has only done 40,000 miles. Could the ITP be faulty? Dave
Born: 2003-10-20 @14:58:12
NewDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 07:50   #15
NewDoc
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Which route are you going to France ?

Was it raining prior to stopping ?

Plenum ?
Under-bonnet fuel-pump pressure connector (close to the battery) pulling out ?
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...81&postcount=3

Under-bonnet fusebox corrosion ?

PS If the engine stopped and no fault has been found, the problem may well reoccur. Do we need to warn the French section of this club ???? Madamoiselle Colvert, Tu es réveillée ? C'est un autre R75 diesel crapped out sur la motorway !!!
Ce bon. Merci. It was sunny and hot when we broke down and the plenum and ecu where recently checked. I am going to look for the UBP pressure connector though, that may be a good shout. Thanks. Dave
Old 27th June 2022, 11:18   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDoc View Post
It's certainly worth checking but the car has only done 40,000 miles. Could the ITP be faulty? Dave

Really depends on how it has been driven - the pumps don't wear out with mileage but time run, so if a car is used only around town then the pump could be just as worn after 40k miles as another one that has done 120k miles cruising the motorways.
Keep a jar in the car and it is a quick and easy check if it happens again.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:04   #17
NewDoc
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

So the saga continued! We got going again as you all know and traveled another 70 miles or so before it stopped again. No warning or anything strange just check engine and engine stalling. We managed to get to a safe space and waited a few minutes while we decided what to do. I turned on the ignition and the check engine was gone! I waited 30 seconds in position 2 and turned her over and she burst into life again. We drove a further 10 miles to a services and got coffee and just to be sure we filled up again. Nothing further all the way to Portsmouth and for the whole week in France, in fact she was as smooth as anything and started on the button every time. Then, on the way home back in England we drove for around 100 miles without a peep and suddenly ... check engine. We stopped at the side of the road and waited a minute. Turned key to position 2 for 30 seconds and she started. Drove then to services and had coffee. So just to recap all the help,
We had more than half a tank of fuel each time she stopped,
There was no warning,
No problems turning over and battery good
After waiting for a period of time engine would start and I could drive normally,
Only seems to happen after about 100 miles of driving.
So what thoughts?
Russ, if you are reading this I could do with a T4 check when you are available please.
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:22   #18
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Sounds like a Crank sensor cutting out - did you put a new one in ?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:26   #19
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Red face

For future reference of anybody going to/from France (or the CI) via Portsmouth or Poole, CB750Chris is nearby with a T4.

If your R75 is playing up, he's the 4th emergency service IMHO..

Or a laptop with TOAF ?

Last edited by MarkS; 3rd July 2022 at 20:48..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 21:36   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

When was the fuel filter last changed, also maybe get a leak back test done on the injectors.

I ma sure Russ will find the problem quickly

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote