Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2015, 09:26   #1
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

Default Heart ruling head?

Hello everyone new member here. Submitted this post incomplete earlier accidentally. Fat fingers. Small keys!

Anyway six weeks ago I became the proud owner of a midnight blue 2003 75 2.5 v6 connoisseur SE. 78,000 recorded miles, partial service history but excellent overall condition. Only covered 1,000 miles in the past 12 months.

It replaced a midnight blue 45 that I'd had for 9 years and 123,000 miles which I have nothing but praise for too.

The 75 is a fantastic car and one I'd always coveted. Looks great from any angle. Exhaust note exquisite. Really enjoy the extra power over the 45.

I've found the club forum extremely useful and informative and a special mention to Jules whose been particularly helpful.

Now the downside. Within two weeks the electric cooling fan packed up but got the aftermarket replacement from Jules.

Three weeks later clutch hydraulics failed. Gearbox out job and new clutch fitted at the same time. Hopefully collect from my local garage this afternoon.

I have AA breakdown insurance so part of the cost will be covered by that.

I love using the car and am getting around 30 mpg despite "enjoying" it where the road conditions allow and have every intention of keeping it for many years to come.

My wife likes it so much she wants one to replace her brand new Ford Focus 1.6 diesel ecotec etc etc

Early next year I intend to get the belts changed.

Given the current values of these great cars and the costs of repair and maintenance it really is heart ruling head but life is like that at times isn't it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442567794.474407.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442568083.308810.jpg
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 10:03   #2
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Hi Duncan, welcome to the club. You had us all a bit worried there with your first attempt at posting.

They are great cars but they are not new cars and as a result I am sure you appreciate things will wear and need replacing. But do this and you have a car of great character which is a joy to own.

I think it has to be a case of heart ruling head in some instances but on the other hand, taking into consideration the initial purchase price, the help available from club members and the excellent traders attached to the club it all suddenly begins to make a lot of sense to own a 75/ZT. Well tht's is my opinion.
Old 18th September 2015, 10:16   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Yes Welcome Duncan

I bought my ZT-T last year in July - this club has been invaluable - the "How to's in particular are excellent.

Out of habit, when I bought the car I bought a Haynes manual. - My advice? - save your money - in comparison to the info available here it is as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:00   #4
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

.....984 hours from Tulsa
Old 18th September 2015, 13:20   #5
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I have a love hate relationship with my ZT, it looks great it really does even when not washed it looks good, then another thing goes wrong and the hate takes over, I have come to the ZT from a Vectra diesel that I brought when it was only three years old, I kept it ten years and only spent money on tyres, brakes and servicing despite putting a lot of miles on the car, I passed it on to my son at 178k miles, he still has not spent any money on it, I spent my weekends cleaning and polishing my car, In the 15 months I have owned the ZT a lot of my weekends are spent underneath it.
It is a perfect cruiser but on local roads the ride is awful because of the ZT suspension and 18 inch wheels.
Now I find one of the rear upper suspension arms has a rust hole through it ...... It will never end but the option of buying a new car and suffering the depreciation is a no no to me.

I can't say I love or hate it, but if I am driving past a garage or see a car that interests me that is for sale then the ZT will go.

Rolling restoration is the saying on these cars now.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:42   #6
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

Hi Duncan and welcome. I Sold my 60plate Corsa 1.4 and bought an 03 plate 75 club se cdt. I will admit at first i thought i done the wrong thing but after buying the 75 i instantly fell in love with it. They are great cars i love the retro dashboard and the overall style of the car. If your wife wants to swap her new focus for a 75 then my advice is do it they have much more character than the modern euro boxes have.
Enjoy your car mate.
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 00:14   #7
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Very nice car. Got to see this today in the flesh and sat in one. Very elegant and smooth and quiet. Looks great now, with that real walnut dash.

Craig is jealous......not just of the dash.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 06:16   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

In my opinion (what do I know hey?) these cars are getting on a bit and the youngest is 11 years old now so if I were you just stick to the one R75. You need a newer car that you can totally rely on with no hidden bills as you have experienced. New euro boxes are boring but you have to be sensible and Ive spent many thousands on the 7 ZTs I have owned and rarely got much back but enjoyed the cars immensely but if your head ruled your heart just stick to the one you have and maybe let your wife drive it a few times a week.
You then have the best of both worlds. Something to waft about in and an everyday cheap tax and cheap fuel bills and maintenance new car.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 06:46   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
In my opinion (what do I know hey?) these cars are getting on a bit and the youngest is 11 years old now so if I were you just stick to the one R75. You need a newer car that you can totally rely on with no hidden bills as you have experienced. New euro boxes are boring but you have to be sensible and Ive spent many thousands on the 7 ZTs I have owned and rarely got much back but enjoyed the cars immensely but if your head ruled your heart just stick to the one you have and maybe let your wife drive it a few times a week.
You then have the best of both worlds. Something to waft about in and an everyday cheap tax and cheap fuel bills and maintenance new car.
Yep! - that is us exactly. My MG ZT-T is my workhorse and my "project" - I really enjoy driving it and maintaining it. And this club makes all the difference re the maintenance.

But this does mean that I take the MG off the road for a few days occasionally - the latest planned is the fan replacement and most likely the A/C condenser as well. So we do need a more modern car to compliment the 13 year old MG. Ours is a i30 Tourer that has proved remarkably good value and incredibly cheap to run. Bought as an ex Motability car at three years old we enjoyed the security of a two years manufacturers warranty but never had to use it.

The Hyundai Dealership we bought it from have been excellent.

The difference is that one of my neighbours as he walks past with his dogs always says what a stunning looking car my Trophy Blue MG ZT-T is.

He doesn't give the i30 Tourer a second glance despite all its obvious merits.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 16:44   #10
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

The OP now has 4 75s.

There's goes the plan of a newer car.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote