Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th August 2020, 17:04   #1
GeoffA

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Replacement Stereo advice

I've got a 2004 75 that's has a basic CD80 radio/cd player . I was considering getting a replacement upgraded radio because a half working radio unit is not a selling point if I sold the car. I came across these " things " that you can get that transmit an FM signal to the radio and ended up looking at something on Amazon that was a DAB receiver with an SD card facility . The idea of these devices is ok but they do give an untidy appearance to the car with a stack of wires dangling here and there and will they continue to work as they are mainly chinese stuff. I emailed the seller with some questions and very limited help there. That's put me off.

So am now back to my initial thought of a replacement radio .. at a modest price of course. I am looking for an upgrade to DAB but with .. and this is the sticky point .. a card slot or USB for playing music. Am not going back to CD's or Mp3 discs for that matter and getting stuck again.

So does anyone know of a direct radio replacement that would work with the steering wheel controls and use existing power supply leads and aerial .... that is DAB ( ok would consider FM at a pinch ) and ... and has a slot for an SD card or USB. I have seen a couple of possibles. One I think was by Kenwood but it's slot appeared to be for iphones etc - don't want to plug an iphone in ( as I don't have one ) - I want to slot in a card or USB. Oh the aerial - would a separate aeriel be needed ?

It's been many a year since I fitted a radio myself and that was one with just one wire for power the supply and an aerial. Wouldn't relish getting involved with wiring work really.
GeoffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 17:21   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I have a Pioneer DAB+ with a usb. Plug and play. Can't remember if I needed a separate swc cable, but they're easy enough to fit. Aerial is stuck on the screen, with a connection to the steel "A" pillar.

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 18:03   #3
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

The good news is your 75 has standard ISO connections which makes fitting an aftermarket head unit easy.

I'd advise sticking with a decent well known brand and avoid fitting any random Chinese thing to ensure you get a good quality unit and one where you can easily source a Connects2 adaptor for your steering wheel controls.

I have a Kenwood CD head unit in my 75 with rear USB and aux connections. It has a variable colour display so it can be colour matched to the interior illumination. It's a few years old so no DAB however.

Old 12th August 2020, 19:15   #4
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I'm still pleased with my Xtrons unit but you will need to buy the DAB module however it is compatible with the steering wheel controls and you can also change illumination to any colour. It's effectively an Android tablet so you can download all the usual apps that you can on a phone. Does come with a Satnav receiver so you can install google maps or similar.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 09:12   #5
GeoffA

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Thank you for your replies

Well thanks for the replies. Looks like it is something I can do myself. Wouldn't bother if it was a paid fitting job as it's not exactly vital for the performance of the car. I've seen a Sony on Halfords site thats up for £51 I think it was and seems to be what I need and with an aerial and this adaptor cabling could just keep cost at £100 . All I need to do now is to convince myself that its worth spending money on something that will not be used that much but on the other hand it will give me a fully working stereo which is off the top of my head the only thing that doesn't work as it should. Oh didn't say did I. Original one has a stuck CD in it. Tried all the tweeks inc power resest and removing unit and taking off top cover but all to no avail.
GeoffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 14:35   #6
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

I had the same problem with my CD cartridge, I finally got it out by continually poking the end of the cartridge with my finger. You have to poke quite hard.