Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2020, 23:35   #1
Chunky2778
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Rear seat back question (saloon)

Hi all, picked up some alcantara seats today, plan was to strip out old seats, pick up new and fit them at the scene.

However, on fitting the rear back, both push buttons have jammed fully downwards but only one side of the seat has latched in. Now the seat is stuck half engaged, nearside loose but offside jammed solid.

I've tried pulling, poking and prodding and can't remove the seat to rectify, I've looked at the old seats and the mechanisms both work in tandem, I've also tried pulling the boot carpet back to see if I can unbolt the mechanism mount, no good.....

Anyone got any ideas please as I need it working for the weekend to pick the kids up..... 😱🤷
Chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2020, 00:51   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Have a read of this thread

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=183844

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2020, 10:08   #3
Chunky2778
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Thanks Rogue, I've had a look at that thread and a couple of others and can't sort it still.

It seems there's a piece missing from the offside mechanism, I can flick the upper rod back into place and then the nearside button pops up so the red part is visible, however the actual locking rod/loop isn't being actuated as it has a plastic piece missing between the upper rod and lower rod/loop.

Has anyone else had this? Should I try and make a hook and pull the lower rod/loop upwards?
Old 14th August 2020, 10:25   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky2778 View Post
Thanks Rogue, I've had a look at that thread and a couple of others and can't sort it still.

Quote:
It seems there's a piece missing from the offside mechanism, I can flick the upper rod back into place and then the nearside button pops up so the red part is visible, however the actual locking rod/loop isn't being actuated as it has a plastic piece missing between the upper rod and lower rod/loop.

Has anyone else had this? Should I try and make a hook and pull the lower rod/loop upwards?

Hi Matt.
You need Scott he red hot on getting these to unlock once they get stuck. also read this below.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=237816

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2020, 10:53   #5
Chunky2778
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Matt.
You need Scott he red hot on getting these to unlock once they get stuck. also read this below.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=237816
Thanks Arctic, the piece that's jammed is called the staple in that thread, looking at how my old seat back works there's nothing attaching the upper push rod to the staple.

I've tried pushing the staple down but it's jammed solid, do you think I should try and pull up or get more forceful pushing it down?

Is Scott his username, should I PM him?

So much for the seats being and upgrade! My old ones didn't give me a moment's trouble
Old 14th August 2020, 17:57   #6
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Hi I'm Scott

They are a bit fiddley at times try pushing the seat back to take the tension off the hook as you push down on the staple.

Sometimes they do need a good shove down.

Also be sure your on the staple measure the distance down off your old seats and put a mark on your tool so you know your in the right ball park.

The staple isn't attached to the button it just rests on it , what happens is the other end of the staple is attached to a fixing in the centre of the car which becomes un clipped and the staple moves inwards away from the button on the button slides past the staple end.

Once you have the back down and can see the staple lift the button out of the way and get a trim removal tool or piece of wood and a rubber hammer and try knocking the staple towards the outside of the seat if you hear a click its gone back in place.

The button should then sit on the staple, do the otherside too.

Before trying the seat back in place get some flat shoe laces or strong string pass it round the staple were the hook goes and tie the ends together do this on both sides.

This is so if it gets stuck again you can open the boot and pull the laces down to free the backs.

Sadly Plymouth is a bit far away from Wolverhampton for me to offer to help.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2020, 19:02   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Hi I'm Scott

They are a bit fiddley at times try pushing the seat back to take the tension off the hook as you push down on the staple.

Sometimes they do need a good shove down.

Also be sure your on the staple measure the distance down off your old seats and put a mark on your tool so you know your in the right ball park.

The staple isn't attached to the button it just rests on it , what happens is the other end of the staple is attached to a fixing in the centre of the car which becomes un clipped and the staple moves inwards away from the button on the button slides past the staple end.

Once you have the back down and can see the staple lift the button out of the way and get a trim removal tool or piece of wood and a rubber hammer and try knocking the staple towards the outside of the seat if you hear a click its gone back in place.

The button should then sit on the staple, do the otherside too.

Before trying the seat back in place get some flat shoe laces or strong string pass it round the staple were the hook goes and tie the ends together do this on both sides.

This is so if it gets stuck again you can open the boot and pull the laces down to free the backs.

Sadly Plymouth is a bit far away from Wolverhampton for me to offer to help.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Good advice. I really struggled with this on my 2004 ZT about four years ago. The mechanism stopped working and I've owned the car from new, so something had changed. With the backrest now jammed it was a royal struggle to get it working again. I have a recollection that the vertical position of the backrest is is largely determined by the hinge studs. There were some kind of white plastic inserts on mine that had cracked and allowed the backrest to drop only slightly, yet enough to become misaligned just enough to prevent the staples engaging the retaining hooks. In the case of fitting a backrest from a totally different car, I'd imagine the chances of a small vertical misalignment are multiplied.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2020, 13:23   #8
Chunky2778
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Good advice. I really struggled with this on my 2004 ZT about four years ago. The mechanism stopped working and I've owned the car from new, so something had changed. With the backrest now jammed it was a royal struggle to get it working again. I have a recollection that the vertical position of the backrest is is largely determined by the hinge studs. There were some kind of white plastic inserts on mine that had cracked and allowed the backrest to drop only slightly, yet enough to become misaligned just enough to prevent the staples engaging the retaining hooks. In the case of fitting a backrest from a totally different car, I'd imagine the chances of a small vertical misalignment are multiplied.
Thankyou all for all your replies, in the end I used a metal trim remover tool, was a two man job to free it off but it seems to be sorted now.