Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2014, 17:49   #21
Kenny m
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
It's a 37, 50s were exclusive to the southern region, I was based at Millerhill, east side of Edinburgh. By the time this photo was taken in '93 the Deltics were long gone, they were rarely at my depot, looked after at Haymarket, other side of Edinburgh.

We used to run class 56s in multiple on coal trains down the east coast, 6,500hp under your right hand! Even with all that power pulling 36 coal wagons (1,500 tons) you were down to about 15mph by the time you got over the top of Grantshouse! Had a turbocharger let go on a 56 once, that was interesting
Ah a 37, cant beat a good growler
Mind you it's nice to know that they are still in everyday service.
Strewth, just thiught,,,,,,,,they are as old as me !!

Kenny
Kenny m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 06:45   #22
Kenny m
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Being on the train pretty much everyday there is always the chance of getting a nice shot or two
This was an early departure from Aylsham to pick up some VIP passengers at Wroxham.
Mind you I did have lean right out of the guard van to get it
Still one has to suffer for one's art

Kenny
Kenny m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 07:27   #23
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny m View Post
This was an early departure from Aylsham to pick up some VIP passengers at Wroxham. Kenny
The most VIP train I was involved with was when the Commonwealth Heads Of Government meeting was in Edinburgh in '97. On the Sunday the royal train stock with a royal train 47 either end took them up to Leuchars to play golf at St Andrews. Everybody involved with the train had to go through a security vetting, I was a Traction Inspector (basically a driver manager) at the time and accompanied the driver on the rear loco going up, leading loco coming back. There was another Traction Inspector accompanying the driver on the other loco. There were a lot of guys in suits with a bulge in their armpit and the train was followed by a 156 Sprinter full of armed police as well. The drivers who took the train up to Leuchars then went back on a passenger train and another couple of drivers came up later in the day to work the train south again but the other Traction Inspector and myself were there for the duration, about 16 hours! We knew that was the score and were assured we would be fed while sitting in the siding at Leuchars . . . . we were, we joined the on train police in the security coach and were given one bacon roll each We transferred to the 156 which was crewed by Scotrail drivers and Inspectors (we all knew each other), they had a food trolley onboard

I got a cracking souvenir of the day though, the heads of government were presented with a limited edition book about the Forth rail bridge with a certificate in it, I managed to get hold of a copy, the Traction Inspector on the other loco only managed a menu!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:24   #24
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

I used to go on the SRPS Railtours back in the early to mid 90s they were the old maroon BR Mark 1 coaches of the open and compartment type, and bar the odd steam (Usually a Black 5) they were normally pulled by Class 37s, what a lovely sound they have.