Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2008, 22:49   #51
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
Not so, mine's......not broadcast! I strongly advise people with wireless networks to uncheck the 'broadcast SSID' option in their router configuration. That way no scrote outside in the street, scanning for wireless networks, even knows there's a wireless network there.....
Not showing the SSID is just a small obstacle. The WLAN can be seen nevertheless. And it's not a big deal to get the SSID, if you use the right software.

Most important is using the right kind of encryption like WPA or WPA2. WEP isn't safe anymore.
edit: The key (password) is also important, the longer and more complicated the better. (You only use it once per connected device, so you don't need to remember thereafter. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Wouldnt that prevent you connecting to it in ad hoc mode ? If it doesnt show up, how can you select it ?
A reconnect will be no problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Whilst we are on the subject.
What is your Wireless network called.
Mine's "The wrong side of your firewall"
This rings a bell ...

Mine is Milwaukee.

Last edited by Jürgen; 14th July 2008 at 14:30..
Jürgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 09:51   #52
nairda
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon ConnSE CDTi 2003 in luvverly Moonstone Green, van Aaken SmartBox/RoverRon Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Wouldnt that prevent you connecting to it in ad hoc mode ? If it doesnt show up, how can you select it ?
As long as all wireless enabled devices are configured with the same SSID and WPA passphrase/key as the router, then connection shouldn't be a problem. I configured my father-in-law's laptop with my wireless network SSID and passphrase and he has no problem connecting to my network to access the 'net whenever he visits. Despite the SSID not being broadcast.

Member No. 971
nairda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 10:15   #53
smcaul
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club

Unless you live in the center of London or you have a high powered job working from home and sending critical information over a home network then the average person really does not need anything more then WEP.

Unfortunately "Wireless paranoia" seems to be sweeping the country, no doubt fueled by the govt so they can try and push through more and more legislation to spy on us!!!

At the end of the day all forms of wireless security can be cracked, the likelihood of it happening to you is much more dependent on who you are!

Freedom isn't free. Somebody paid!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 14:42   #54
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcaul View Post
Unless you live in the center of London or you have a high powered job working from home and sending critical information over a home network then the average person really does not need anything more then WEP.
I won't recommend WEP, Stuart, as it is too easy to crack. The effort to set up a WPA encryption amounts to the same, but results in much more security.

Even if there is no valuable information to be stolen, just think the other way round. If someone uses your WLAN access to upload illegal content, you'll be responsible for that.