Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2016, 12:22   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I know what you mean about Linux. I love it and admire the ethos behind it but there are a few important programs (like MotoGP 2014) that I can't get to run in virtual box because I don't have the processing power.

I have Ubuntu set up on a different laptop HDD that I occasionally swap in and out, but W7 is that good that it is only a part time pastime.

Here's a reminder of the good(?) ole days...
I too used all of the MSDOS, DRDOS and Windows versions and always looked forward to getting my hands on the lastest version. I tried Linux a few times, but found it a bit of a niche market.

Life is just too short - I am happy with XP or W10.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 14:48   #22
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post

To put it in terms we all understand, it's like someone saying to you, 'why are you still running that old Rover (or MG). They're so outdated and customer support finished years ago, why not get a modern one?'
This has stuck in my mind a bit

It's a fair enough analogy but cars are pretty stand alone things, basically they work or they don't and you can drive them on any road you want no matter how old they are, but the toys vary depending on age:

Linux is like having a faster old car but you can only drive it on B roads and some A ones (absolutely fine if that's all you need obviously),

XP means you have an old car and can travel on all B and A roads but not most motorways.

Win7 is a lot like Rover 75/MG's in that you can travel on any road, the toys are all there but perhaps not quite as many of them as you'd get with a modern car/Win10

whether you need the extra toys (or if they're worth having) is obviously up to you I thought Win7 was great tbh but Win10 is as good really once you are used to it
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 22:13   #23
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

To expand the car analagy a bit further;

You keep copies of all your important info inside your car as (say for arguments sake) you travel a lot. Obviously that's quite attractive to a thief. Older model cars are easier to break into, and beyond a certain point they may as well have a universal key. The same is true for computer OSs.

New cars also phone home to the dealership and can provide realtime downloads of telemetry data. Nobody's really sure what data is sent or what the dealers do with it....Older cars don't do this.....I think you can see where I'm going with that!
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 18:58   #24
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Win 10 free copy countdown. you have until the 29th July to get/reserve your copy.....That's if you want one

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 09:08   #25
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Like a lot I upgraded from W7, which I loved, and it was somewhat strange at first however once I got a lot of the 'little annoyances' halted under control I am quite happy with it now I have to confess.

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 08:48   #26
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Windows 10 is leaner and faster than any previous version and just as easy to use, use right click on the Start icon to reveal all the things you are accustomed to seeing from C Prompt to control panel, programs and features, system, power options and file manager etc.
Sorry but it isn't leaner and certainly isn''t faster. My Win 7 install is 7gb Windows 10 takes 15gb (for the same options) and 10 is slightly slower on my i7 PC.

MS are going to miss their 1 billion target by a long way.

I'll also make a little prediction, all those who have "upgraded" to 10 using their hooky copies of 7 / 8 will be in for a nasty surprise when MS kill their Windows 10 after the free period ends, I did some research and found ALL pirated copies of Win 7 used to upgrade to 10 are being given the same install key.
Old 28th July 2016, 09:18   #27
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Win10 is superb, much much faster, so much smoother and a cleaner operating system for the user. Win10 is the future of all operating systems, why get left behind, you need to future-proof yourself.

Only 1 more day left to get Win10 free, after tomorrow 29th you will have to pay £99.99.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 09:30   #28
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Win10 is superb, much much faster, so much smoother and a cleaner operating system for the user. Win10 is the future of all operating systems, why get left behind, you need to future-proof yourself.
Yeah errmm right.

Last edited by Vanbursta; 28th July 2016 at 09:38..
Vanbursta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 06:07   #29
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Well it' the last day and I have no changed to Win 10. Not sure how this PC would cope as it does not have that much RAM really and I am not the best and learnign new computer stuff so will stick with win 7 methinks.
Old 29th July 2016, 07:15   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plezier View Post
Well it' the last day and I have no changed to Win 10. Not sure how this PC would cope as it does not have that much RAM really and I am not the best and learnign new computer stuff so will stick with win 7 methinks.
Well, it is supposed to be leaner, lighter on resources and faster.

I would it to be all those, but not by a large margin. I found it not that much different to use from what I had, Win 8. Had it been as bad as some in this thread suggest, I would have gone back - I didn't.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote