Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th January 2019, 22:21   #31
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

They are still relatively low power outputs, would love a 16v one in a ZR but you would never get spares in this country.
I hadn't realised the G series saw the light of day, were the built in the UK?
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 09:01   #32
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

The M47R was fitted to the R40 models for one reason only, BMW wanted a test mule for the brand new Bosch common rail fuel injection system, that if it had proved to be a failure would not have reflected badly on the BMW brand "oh that will be a Rover problem".

Brian

Brian,

We've sen this written on the forum many times. Personally, I don't believe it for second. BMW are no stranger to introducing new technologies on their own cars/engines and do so very successfully. I think this is most likely a story developed by someone over a pint.

At the time, Rover would have felt honoured that BMW allowed it to install its latest diesel engine technology in a car with a Rover badge rather than BMW.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 17:04   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Brian,

We've sen this written on the forum many times. Personally, I don't believe it for second. BMW are no stranger to introducing new technologies on their own cars/engines and do so very successfully. I think this is most likely a story developed by someone over a pint.

At the time, Rover would have felt honoured that BMW allowed it to install its latest diesel engine technology in a car with a Rover badge rather than BMW.
Well let's just say this information was given to me with a lot more involvement with R40 in development, and much less in "pub talk".

Rover were not honoured, they were dictated to by BMW, Powertrain were more than capable of coming up with a suitable engine off their own bat

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 17:13   #34
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Well let's just say this information was given to me with a lot more involvement with R40 in development, and much less in "pub talk".

Brian

Being involved in something and developing a story during "pub talk" are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:

Rover were not honoured, they were dictated to by BMW, Powertrain were more than capable of coming up with a suitable engine off their own bat

Brian

Of course they were - they were part of BMW Group. The choice at Rover would have been to adapt an advanced BMW diesel engine or not have a diesel engine at all. Does anyone really believe that it could have been anything else?

Powertrain were no doubt capable of coming up with an equally advanced engine themselves. But they had two problems - lack of non-BMW money and the length of time it would take to develop and refine an equally advanced diesel engine. At the end of the day, whoever funds a project dictates the direction.

On a similar thought, it will be interesting to see what JLR do about a future V8 given the production agreement with Ford for the current engine comes to an end next year. I suspect JLR will not have the funds to develop and put into production a new in-house V8 from scratch.

Last edited by MSS; 13th January 2019 at 17:27..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 10:46   #35
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
The M47R was fitted to the R40 models for one reason only, BMW wanted a test mule for the brand new Bosch common rail fuel injection system, that if it had proved to be a failure would not have reflected badly on the BMW brand "oh that will be a Rover problem".
Considering all the swirl flap problems reported on BMW variants, I'd suggest that was a bit of an own goal.
Old 14th January 2019, 18:30   #36
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Considering all the swirl flap problems reported on BMW variants, I'd suggest that was a bit of an own goal.
That, and their less reliable Garrett variable vane turbos. I'll stick with our bullet proof little Mitsubishi TD04 turbo, the M47R is without doubt the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned.
Old 9th April 2020, 15:10   #37
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Glad you liked it John
Hey Phill.

I've tried to PM you with no success.
Can you send me a PM with a contact to discuss details for a future remap for my 75 please.
Thanks
n00bzi11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2020, 19:11   #38
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
On a similar thought, it will be interesting to see what JLR do about a future V8 given the production agreement with Ford for the current engine comes to an end next year. I suspect JLR will not have the funds to develop and put into production a new in-house V8 from scratch.
The V engines are to be no more. Both the V6 and V8 are being replaced by mild hybrid 3.0 straight six ingeniums.

D300 - 297 bhp
D350 - 345 bhp

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...ange-rover

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2020, 21:03   #39
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Rumour has it that JLR will use a BMW unit to replace their own V8, meaning that not for the first time, the Range Rover will be powered by a BMW V8.
Old 9th April 2020, 21:12   #40
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The Ingenium engine are quite advanced, as they marry mobilidium? Into engine castings. This should make the engines more economical as mobilidium is a know lubricant. When I was assembling the Daimler V8 engine I was rebuilding, I used a small amount of mobilidium disulphide as an assembly lubricant on all moving parts. While doing so, I noticed that a small tin lid that had some ordinary engine oil in, as I passed over the top of it, a drop of mobilidium dropped onto the oil, and bounced off it. Slippery or what?