Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2020, 21:28   #41
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
How are you doing Nobby? I remember how you went through a very difficult time in March after you lost Jen your wife to a terrible wasting disease. We were due to meet up at The Ugly Duckling in Camberley, but it wasn’t to be (I was over in the UK at the time).

Having met you over the years and filmed your beautiful tourer, I was always impressed by your sense of humour and ability to make others laugh despite everything. I have never seen you as being pompous or having any ideas of superiority......sadly I am having to wear a cloth cap these days

No worries, hopefully it won’t be too long before the meets can resume.
Hi Phil, I’m getting by as they say; some good days some bad. The lockdown has made things a little more difficult with me rattling around the house full of Jens possessions and memories which I can’t move on at the mo. Try keeping my mind off things and keeping busy but there are always quiet times and triggers if you know what I mean. Our wedding anniversary is tomorrow so memories of a happier day are already flooding back. Time will heal I’m sure but not quite yet.
Me superior? Nooo , I’m far better than that and I can’t even wear my flat cap – 6 months without a haircut I’ve had to take to a turban
Anyway hope you and yours are keeping safe and well. Be good to meet up again when this eases off a bit hopefully in the not too distant future. Then we can party

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Old 22nd June 2020, 16:29   #42
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Hi Phil, I’m getting by as they say; some good days some bad. The lockdown has made things a little more difficult with me rattling around the house full of Jens possessions and memories which I can’t move on at the mo. Try keeping my mind off things and keeping busy but there are always quiet times and triggers if you know what I mean. Our wedding anniversary is tomorrow so memories of a happier day are already flooding back. Time will heal I’m sure but not quite yet.
Me superior? Nooo , I’m far better than that and I can’t even wear my flat cap – 6 months without a haircut I’ve had to take to a turban
Anyway hope you and yours are keeping safe and well. Be good to meet up again when this eases off a bit hopefully in the not too distant future. Then we can party
Hi Nobby, a sad day for you today and I wish I could lessen the pain you are going through but Jen would not want you to be miserable. Cherish those happy memories. There are no rules about finding closure, clearing possessions or moving on, so take as long as you need.

I can't imagine you not having a haircut for 6 months, you must look like a reprobate by now

2 years ago, I shot a 10 minute film at The Ugly Ducking. In the movie You are featured chatting and having a laugh with Flying Banana, Keith and also featured is your beautiful gleaming 75. I must also mention how the film starts off with Flying Banana driving Pooky Bear, Planenut drives into the car park and his green tourer, also looks very clean. Teflon - Yes I filmed his 75 and it looked nice and clean, inside and out, thank you Cliff. I had better not mention the slightly muddy 75 in one of the shots. Apologies for the 'vanilla' music One of the guys at the meet was rather proud at how clean and unmarked the underneath of his 75 was. I was rather envious that he had his own pit at home for getting under the car. The movie is in the blue link https://vimeo.com/238234615 Nobby, I am looking forward to seeing you next time I am over your way, chin up....keep posting

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 22nd June 2020 at 16:34..
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:50   #43
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Only another 6 weeks to go.

Roll on 1st August.
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:43   #44
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts
Default Muddy Car

Now't wrong with a bit of mud on't car!!!! Not blessed with OCD apart from visiting Car Boot Sales in field which have muddy puddles. Looking forward to them starting again plus our meets, which look to be a step nearer.
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:05   #45
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post
Now't wrong with a bit of mud on't car!!!! Not blessed with OCD apart from visiting Car Boot Sales in field which have muddy puddles. Looking forward to them starting again plus our meets, which look to be a step nearer.
I can smell those breakfasts now.
Old 24th June 2020, 07:08   #46
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post
My sincere apologies if he felt slighted at the filming of the sight of the mud on the car. Here in Nairobi, we wear mud on the 4x4 as a badge of pride, as it shows we have been off road, but we are all different. My videos are about the cars, the characters, the friendliness and the light hearted good natured meets. I was chatting to Jimbo ages back and we compared notes on how not to offend people in our videos and how to attempt to keep them interesting. Oh there are people who have said "oh you left my car out! another said "You must have my permission to film my car - I want to have control" ...yeah, yeah...whatever

These days in Nairobi, the car washes have been replaced by being disinfectant sprayers inside and out. In the centre of the city, there are walk-thru ground units whereby members of the public are herded and sprayed with disinfectant from head to toe.

Here is something from the Ace Cafe Peter to brighten your day, hopefully

Old 24th June 2020, 08:38   #47
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Default Taking offence

Interesting thread and a revealing diversion about taking offence on page 4. I can’t see why ‘simple minded morons’ in this context is offensive? On the other hand, on that thread about a Vera Lynn statue, one contributor (#13) sought to elevate the importance of erecting a statue to a singer above the national debate on commemoration of slave traders ... and nobody challenged that. Personally, I’m much more concerned that a section of people in our society feel that their prospects to succeed are harmed by the colour of their skin than by the need to remember a singer with a statue.

Perhaps a little perspective is a good thing in each case? Idiots breaking lockdown to have a rave and the organisers clearly profiting from the situation is something that will cause great concern among a vulnerable population. The contributor was quite restrained in his description of these people. I’ve been working throughout the Covid situation in my joint health and social care role and I’ve seen the impact this devastating virus has Had on individuals, families and communities. To do anything that risks spreading the virus is not only dangerous and irresponsible but should be treated as a crime of violence.

The government’s response has been wholly inadequate from the beginning with the exception of the furlough scheme. They’ve been playing catch-up since they failed to act promptly back in late February and early March. The example that Cummings set during his Durham trip dismayed us working in health and care, as we knew it would open the flood gates. Numbers are falling now because very many of the most vulnerable have already died. Lockdown is now effectively over and it’s down to us, as individuals, to keep ourselves safe.

But please take it from me - working as part of an exhausted Covid response team - you are NOT SAFE YET. Take nothing for granted. Be responsible.
Old 24th June 2020, 10:52   #48
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I got the same news when talking to a friend on Monday, He told me that he had his first C-spine fracture since March just last week, (typical in an RTA) for the past three months he's mainly seen self-inflicted DIY injuries. It's a sign that the roads are getting back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Tanelorn in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings

I did try, honest.--

Never mind - perhaps Wikipedia doesn't know all.... after all.

[QUOTE=COLVERT;2820241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
ftfy

Why the pointless 'simple minded morons'? Do you really think that you're superior to others to that extent? It's about time for a halt on using derogatory labelling of groups of people. It serve's no purpose except to demonstrate your own egotism. Put the full stop at the end of 'raves' and lose the last 5 words and you'll see that you still make your point: and more convincingly as well.

A glance in a mirror might be beneficial.----

While my phrase 'your own egotism' was precisely aimed at an individual exhibiting greater than average egotism (we all have an amount of ego, otherwise we'd just be drones). Perhaps I should have talked about glass houses and stones, but hey ho.

I avoid the mirror, I've got a face only a mother or a partner can love.... Yes I have an ego as well (unsurprisingly)- but I don't go round blindly slagging of people of whom I've no experience. I wait for them to prove my initial judgement of their stupidity first: then slag them off.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 24th June 2020, 11:18   #49
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Yeah, I got the same news when talking to a friend on Monday, He told me that he had his first C-spine fracture since March just last week, (typical in an RTA) for the past three months he's mainly seen self-inflicted DIY injuries. It's a sign that the roads are getting back to normal.
The hidden death toll from Covid is reflected in 'Excess Deaths' rather than deaths from Covid. This indicates the adjusted variance from the normal number of deaths in a given period in previous years. Colleagues from hospital specialties confirm that they're not seeing the usual number of people in for acute or chronic conditions. As you note, the number of traumas in EDs has been significantly down. In my area, average length of stay in an acute bed is down by three days - an absolutely unheard-of figure and admissions are at levels last seen a decade ago.

The number of trauma cases in EDs is rising but the excess deaths is at around 50% above the Covid figure. There have been around 42,500 deaths from Covid in the UK (the real figure is probably a bit higher, as there is discrepancy in early recording and reluctance by some to record respiratory deaths as 'Covid') but the excess deaths figure is pushing 70,000 for the same period. This is made up of people who would have otherwise sought medical help but have avoided hospitals at the peak of the pandemic: people with heart disease, lung disease, cancer, etc. Expect this figure to continue at an elevated level for some time as people who have cancer, in particular, die from not having sought care sooner.

I work predominantly with care homes and there have been some absolute horror stories. I was jumping up-and-down in April when the Govt refused to count these deaths in the 'official' statistics. They still only report the Covid figures but should always present these alongside the excess deaths for context.

We've planned for a second spike, which mercifully hasn't manifested itself yet, but nobody is relaxing yet. Everyone hopes that a hot summer will help too but it's not a medical treatment! What we need is a working vaccine - only then will things truly get back to normal.

Stay safe, Everyone.
Old 24th June 2020, 11:20   #50
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

I've done shifts with ambulance crews: one of the hardest and most under-rated jobs in the whole system.