Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2022, 09:34   #21
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Thanks guys for your responses which are most helpful. I thought it might be possible to manoeuvre the tank out without removing the handbrake cables, but I suppose it is still necessary to drop the exhaust out of the way?

Stefan, it had crossed my mind that testing the pump before fitting the tank might be a good plan but I am not sure how to test it there being six terminals, in addition I am not sure that I ought to run the pump dry.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2022, 22:01   #22
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

the exhaust is only few minute job. You need to just whip off the rubber hangers . support the flexi join from underneath. even then it gets under your feet ....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 21:57   #23
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Smile

I managed to test the pump by pulling off the pump connector from the existing tank and putting it on the replacement tank once it was as near as possible to the existing tank, fortunately the wire was long enough. I then turned on the ignition and briefly ran the pump which I could hear was working.

I am pleased to say that the tank has now been satisfactorily replaced. It is really a two man job and in this connection Simon very kindly gave me a hand. It was not that difficult and made easier because we used a two post lift and transmission jack.

The exhaust had to be released at the rear and supported, it was in the way but we worked around it. An exhaust mounting release tool was very useful. The tank can be manoeuvred out without releasing the handbrake cables from either end of their fixings but the cables have to be released from their clips and bracket as indicated by a previous poster which was very helpful.

The total time to complete the task was about 5/6 hours but this did not take into account the time we had to mess about having the fuel tank strap welded as the cross brace had parted company from the rest of the strap on one side. The strap was in good condition apart from this but I would be inclined to recommend a new strap unless it in very good condition considering the cost of a new one.

Thanks to all for helpful posts much appreciated the car is running very nicely, only auto gearbox to deal with, not changing into fifth gear (probably one of the solenoids sticking). Saved from the knackers yard yet again!

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote