Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2012, 22:48   #21
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I've got a Nuthatch and Bullfinch in the garden at the minute, last two winters i've even had a Redwing which is pretty rare for up here.
My main birding lens is a Bigma 50-500mm OS, I shoot all my macros on a compact with a few select attachments as I shoot video too.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 05:20   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thanks Paul for the tip about getting a lens hood and using the remote from a distance. Both don't cost much yet I do not have any. I was given photoshop elements 10 for Christmas and it included a 30 day full programme of Adobe Premier on another DVD (which I have not loaded as I need to learn elements first).

I would love a long lens up to 500mm but like a lot of people they are so bloomin expensive. The Nikon range is and the Sigma's are not that cheap either.

I am thinking of upgrading my camera later on in the year and am wondering now if I should spend my money on the lens or do I have a go at a camera like the Pentax you have. A family friend has the same camera you have Paul and last year she went on safari with it for the first time in using a DSLR. She posted up some excellent pictures on her facebook, full of colour, details and correct lighting. I am not knocking Nikon, Canon, or Fuji here. All excellent cameras. I do like the results you produced Paul in your nature studies. I am not in the UK long enough to try-the-before-you-buy camera rental scheme and will think and research.

A lot of these cameras are coming down in price, but not the accessories like the lenses. And the other thing is knowing how to use them and them how to edit.

Don't we just love it! It is really good to see new members and the not so new posting up and keeping the photography section going

I am very lucky to be able to live so close to the wild life. It does have some downsides but I won't go into that. I am not complaining
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 07:23   #23
Canonite
This is my second home

Hi Phil,
While lenses are expensive they do stay with you. When I bought my Bigma there were very basic camera bodies available for decent money, at the time I was shooting on a Canon 350D I bought for £200. The lens cost me just shy of £1200 but I still have it. I have since upgraded my camera several times but the lenses I still have.

The current DSLR market is saturated with cameras which have that many features it pretty much takes all the control away from the user and I personally don't like that. Understanding aperture to control DoF, to create the look and effect you're after takes skill. Built in software now does all that for you.

Before you choose on a brand look at the lenses available as this is the most costly factor. Main reason people opt for the big two brands is due to the availability and cost of lenses, plenty of used lenses crop up on ebay for Nikon & Canon which keeps used prices low.
Sony are now a big player and are producing some great cameras.
Don't overlook Olympus as their E-series cameras produce some stunning results straight off camera, and due to the 4/3rds system being a 2.0x crop sensor a 300mm lens gives the 35mm equivilent field of view as a 600mm lens. I thought long and hard about this before I bought as I shoot a lot of birds and wildlife.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:41   #24
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I agree.

The make of camera is not to important, all the manufacturers produce excellent products. I went with Pentax because I could buy a host of top quality Pentax/Asahi/Takumar lenses for 20-50 pounds. Many of these lenses would be over 50 years old but with superb glass. These lenses would be hard to use as the are completely manual. So they are difficult to use but it teaches you how to use the camera as you you have to do everything yourself. With the Pentax's built in stabilisation you do not need lenses with stabilisation. As I said before if, money was no option I would most likely get a Canon or Nikon or maybe one of these or similar.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Leica_S2-P_Digital_SLR
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 12:04   #25
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Old 19th January 2012, 14:30   #26
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Paul for the tip about getting a lens hood and using the remote from a distance. Both don't cost much yet I do not have any. I was given photoshop elements 10 for Christmas and it included a 30 day full programme of Adobe Premier on another DVD (which I have not loaded as I need to learn elements first).

I would love a long lens up to 500mm but like a lot of people they are so bloomin expensive. The Nikon range is and the Sigma's are not that cheap either.

I am thinking of upgrading my camera later on in the year and am wondering now if I should spend my money on the lens or do I have a go at a camera like the Pentax you have. A family friend has the same camera you have Paul and last year she went on safari with it for the first time in using a DSLR. She posted up some excellent pictures on her facebook, full of colour, details and correct lighting. I am not knocking Nikon, Canon, or Fuji here. All excellent cameras. I do like the results you produced Paul in your nature studies. I am not in the UK long enough to try-the-before-you-buy camera rental scheme and will think and research.

A lot of these cameras are coming down in price, but not the accessories like the lenses. And the other thing is knowing how to use them and them how to edit.

Don't we just love it! It is really good to see new members and the not so new posting up and keeping the photography section going

I am very lucky to be able to live so close to the wild life. It does have some downsides but I won't go into that. I am not complaining
All the Adobe software can be downloaded on trial for 30 days (I think) so you can try it out if you wish.

I played with your picture for 2 minutes and you can see a difference.

Last edited by Rocket; 19th January 2012 at 15:01..
Old 19th January 2012, 15:25   #27
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
I've got a Nuthatch and Bullfinch in the garden at the minute, last two winters i've even had a Redwing which is pretty rare for up here.
My main birding lens is a Bigma 50-500mm OS, I shoot all my macros on a compact with a few select attachments as I shoot video too.
I could do with your Bigma to get pictures of the Buzzards down the woods across the field. I suppose I could set up on a tripod and fire the shutter remotely after chucking a dead critter in the field. They look like Vultures circling in tthe summer.
Old 19th January 2012, 17:14   #28
Canonite
This is my second home

We occassionally get peregrine and sparrowhawk too but catching them is another matter. The Bigma needs a lot of light, f6.3 at the long end often isn't enough.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:28   #29
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Paul

I can see how you were able to clean up the photo of the lesser and greater flamingoes as well as to improve the clarity and all done in 2 minutes! Clearly I am not up to your standard

I am going to wait until I am back in London to get the free trial downloads which will be in a few days time. No broadband here. Just on the dongle and if I check now it says the speed is 0.53 kbps - 1.06 kbps

I have been looking at clifton cameras and will revisit another time. Thanks for the link.

Alan and yourself have made some good points about the cameras, how the market is and the lenses, as well as the software. It is great to have both of you on board here to show us your photos and knowledge. I say this with sincerity by the way. I like the idea of also making use of a digital cam for other shots like Macro.

I started off with a Zenith E SLR back in 1980 and over years collected Minolta, Pentax and Nikon, 35 mm of course.

What sad news today about Kodak.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 19:33   #30
Canonite
This is my second home

The key to good macro in my experience isn't about getting the best camera and lens, its about fieldcraft. The following photos were shot on an old camera I gave £100 for with a special close up filter I got. For me, it's about getting up close and personal with the things you never get face to face with.

Last edited by Canonite; 19th January 2012 at 19:39..