Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th October 2012, 16:43   #21
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

No, its an Intel based PC, just like the Mac is, the difference is one runs OSX the other Windows. They are all subject to failure. Macs fail and need repair as well, the failure rate is really no better than for other premium laptops.

Mac dont have unique components, they use the same stuff as you find in any laptop. Remember Apple do not invent hardware, everything in a Mac is made by someone else, Apple simply selects the parts, designes the box to put them in and gets Asian slave labour to assemble it.

Audis are less reliable than fords, which kind of proves my point.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:53   #22
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Because windows is better?
Yeah, that's my point !

I know that's bound to upset the Mac fans/users out there.

Apart from Windows XP (which more than stood the test of time & is still used by many people including me) Windows 7 has turned out to be a great O/S (we'll forget Vista !!)

I run XP & 7 on all my systems & it's great.

There's no way I would buy a Mac.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 17:20   #23
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

My next challenge is to find a copy of 7 which is OEM and then try it out on the mac. I will also research some of the smaller win laptops. Cabin luggage is restricted to 10 kg and to carry x 2 laptops plus camera stuff and this and that will have a bearing on my choices. I did like the look of XP and it was easy to use. I even built my own PC in the old days and did upgrades. I cannot do this on the Mac which has a life term of 5 years. My other gripe is that it cost me over 2k to buy. It is not as though I am flushed.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 17:25   #24
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

If you dont mind small there are some of the compact notebooks out there. My laptop is an 11.6 inch HP. The only problem is the smaller they are the more they cost it seems.. I guess it depends if you need a built in DVD drive.
Old 20th October 2012, 18:00   #25
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default windows is superior for a number of reasons.......

Yes of course it is. Windows gives you hours of software trials and a greater understanding of the individual components that make up a machine that is more often than not a random collection of parts which should work together but often don't.

You then get to find out about viruses, malware, freezing, restarts etc but if you want a machine that will just work and past the test of time then choose a manufacturer that has control not only of the hardware but also the software.

Sure some people enjoy carrying around a brick of a machine with a battery life of minutes and a screen which makes you wonder where the focus control is .... but like most things in life you get what you pay for.

My stationary G5 is old but still quite capable and in daily use, any Windows machine of a similar age would.... well are there any still functional?

My Macbook Air (13" 1.7 i5 SSD) was very expensive but then again I have dual boot (but hardly used) and considering the thing weighs less than 1.5kg it's ideal when you are on the move. Best of both worlds really depending on in which you'd rather be at that given time.

If Gatekeeper wants to use a specific Windows programme then he can do, if he wants to use anything Internet based then back to OSX for safety.

Simple choice

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 18:07   #26
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

My housemates acer laptop is 7 years old and runs perfectly fine. It needed a new battery due to the old one not holding much charge, but being a non-mac the replacement was a 10 second affair.

I still have the first PC i built, a very old 600Mhz AMD Duron powered device. It still works perfectly well. i Also have a Compaq 486 that still works, its 20 years old.
Old 20th October 2012, 18:22   #27
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Yes of course it is.

Simple choice

Regards
Glad you agree.

Windows doesnt have trial software at all. Windows is at least as stable as OSX, probably more so. Viruses are a user issue and macs can get them to. Safari has holes in it a mile wide. iTunes is the work of the devil.

My laptop has 10 hour battery life and delivers it.

Windows gets a bad wrap because its freely installable on any hardware, a bit like Android. Sure there are some terrible devices out there, but the best are just as good as anything Apple has. Apple doesnt sell at the low end.

Here is an example using Android. I have a friend who bought a cheap chinese Android and it was rubbish, so she bought an iPhone. She then declared Android as rubbish. Needless to say Her iPhone wasnt 100% perfect and caused issues so when her contract was up I gave her my old Galaxy S2 to use for a while to show her that it wasnt Androids fault, it was the cheap device she had. She now has a Galaxy S3, which she loves.

Its no different with PCs. There are bad ones out there, but there are some very very good ones to, ones that run far more software than any mac, cost less and are more reliable.

Another major issue i have with Macs is the 'i' thing. Every program called iSomething drives me mad. If you want to make a word really awkward and ugly to say put an 'i' in front of it.

In Gate Keepers case, since he already has a Mac, its probably better to dual boot or use some sort of virtual shell, but the best option overall is never to buy an Apple device in the first place.
Old 20th October 2012, 22:04   #28
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Mac OS is even less secure than Windows !

The main reason Mac's appear not to het hacked it because in comparison to Windows users, there are so few.

The Myth that Mac OS is more secure than Windows is exactly that............a myth !!

I despise the fact that any product made by Apple forces you to use specific software.

I love my iPod but I detest iTunes.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 22:18   #29
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Because windows is better?

Never really understood why there was an entire industry setup to get Windows running on a Mac when you could just buy a faster, cheaper, better Windows PC to start with, that is a least as stable (if not more), more functional and more compatible.
Can of worms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
I'm always a bit puzzled though why a Mac user would want to have Windows !
A lot of the special software I use at Uni (Computer Science Degree) needs it - i.e. Visual Studio etc.

For a long time I was a "Mac-hater" because on paper it just doesn't add up. I recently bought a MacBook Pro and i'm changed... it's not perfect, I'm not a fanboy, but I really like the speed / stability and the way the little bits about the OS work together (i.e. gestures - rubbish in Windows, awesome in OSX).

I wouldn't ever replace my desktop with a Mac, but I think I'd struggle to buy anything but an Apple laptop from now on - it's definitely not cheap, but for me it's worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
I detest iTunes.
iTunes is unfortunately awful no matter what platform - the only saving grace is you only *need* to use it for syncing, for everything else you can just avoid it!
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 09:56   #30
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I agree that Mac laptops have a place, although there are similarly designed Windows machines, like the Dell Ultrabooks which are aluminium, carbon fibre and gorilla glass, but iMacs i will never understand. They are thousands of pounds for an instantly obsolete, ugly and dull box that makes upgrading difficult. I reject the notion that they last longer and dont need upgrades. Mac users say that because they are the sort of people who would be mac users its circular reasoning. They expect to be spoon feed by Apple and dont seek to change things. Just look at the recent iPhone 5 TV ads to see the mentality of the Apple fan. Its ludicrous.

I can fully understand the Windows hate based on one of two well publicised mess-ups. Millennium was awful, but XP was great, Vista was dodgy, but 7 is almost perfect. Windows 8 will upset many, but it can be used much like Windows 7 if you dislike the new interface. I for one will use the new interface on my laptop, but not on my desktop.

7 (or 8) really doesnt ever crash of its own accord, its designed from the ground up with a mission critical core thats nothing like windows of old. Its very resistant to malware, all you need is Microsofts own Security essentials and half a brain. Norton, Mcafee etc are a waste of money and counter-productive. The sort of people who fall for malware on that combo also fall for phone and e-mail scams and maybe OSX would suit them, but trust me its not that hard to take down a mac, just from a web page, if you really want. Making Unix palatable also makes it vulnerable.

Windows is no slower than OSX for the most part, but there are one or two critical points to make that explain why, on occasion it can be. The nature of Windows means that its much safer for your data in the event of a system failure. If the power goes off or something crashes user data is much less likely to be lost. OSX is Unix based and a sudden failure is much more likely to result in data loss. Its an inherent property of Unix based OSes. Some measures have been taken to reduce the risk, but its still there in OSX and iOS