Notices

Old 14th April 2013, 09:51   #21
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
£50.00.....Bargain
Not sure if you saw my post a few above but like you I now have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 that I bought off a member on one of the photography forums I belong to
Paid a wee bit more than £50.00 for it mind
Here's a picture I took of one of my cats with it the other day.

It will spend most of its life as a short telephoto shooting motor sports when my Sigma 120-300 F2.8 is too long, or my arms can't take it any more

Mine is also used mostly as a telephoto and works great in low light conditions, like above. I'm currently looking for a decent pistol grip to attach to the tripod mount to make life easier

Mind you though, I paid in euro's for it so its cheaper than you thought
I wont tell you what I paid for the mint AE-1 with 3 lenses, motor winder and assorted filters but its roughly what I paid for 1 58mm UV filter

Aaaandd my 300th post has nothing to do with a Rover 75, more to do with an ATR-72

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile

Last edited by bongi69; 14th April 2013 at 09:58..
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 10:06   #22
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongi69 View Post

Mine is also used mostly as a telephoto and works great in low light conditions, like above. I'm currently looking for a decent pistol grip to attach to the tripod mount to make life easier

Mind you though, I paid in euro's for it so its cheaper than you thought
I wont tell you what I paid for the mint AE-1 with 3 lenses, motor winder and assorted filters but its roughly what I paid for 1 58mm UV filter

Aaaandd my 300th post has nothing to do with a Rover 75, more to do with an ATR-72
Congratulations on your 300th post, nice shot of the plane btw
This is the Manfrotto Pistol Grip head that I have mounted on Manfrotto 055ProB legs

It is great although for panning Motorsport I either handhold or use my monopod .
Old 14th April 2013, 21:15   #23
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I keep looking out for the older 222 version

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 11:16   #24
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Not everybody's choice but here's my Olympus kit. The macro lens is my favorite. Just wish I had the time to do photography these days, it's been a year or so now.

Main camera: Olympus E-30
Backup cam: Olympus E-410
Prime lens: Olympus 14-54mm
Macro: Sigma 150mm
Tele: Sigma 135-400mm
Flash: Olympus FL-36 & some cheap manual slave flash
Tripod: Velbon Sherpa 600
Filters: usual UV & polarisers and various others (ND, grad, b/w)
Olympus bag (hardly use)

Other camers I don't really use are Olympus OM-4 (35mm) & Bronica ETRS & Olympus waterproof compact (this is a brilliant little compact for holidays)

mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 13:14   #25
kjw123
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Default Post your kit?????

This is silly who cares what kit anyone has? or is it just a mines bigger than yours mentallity or a I have more money than you, look what I've got mentallity.

Just because you have all the gear with bells and whistles on doesn't make you a good photographer it just means you've waisted a load of money.

After all you can take beautiful photographs with a point and shoot costing less than £20.

But just for the info I have a Canon eos 500D with a 50mm standard lens and a 70-210 Sigma zoom....but mostly use my pocket size Fujifilm AX550 16mp point and shoot which produces really nice shots even at a high resolution.

Having a good subject and the eye for a good shot is most important. The kit is secondary to all else.

My Bonnie Connie from Donny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by kjw123; 21st April 2013 at 13:28..
kjw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 13:29   #26
coolcat
This is my second home

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw123 View Post
This is silly who cares what kit anyone has? this is just a mines bigger than yours mentallity or I have more money than you, look what I've got.
Just because you have all the gear with bells and whistles on doesn't make you a good photographer it just means you've waisted a load of money.

After all you can take beautiful photographs with a point and shoot costing less than £20. If you have the eye for a good shot.
Silly to whom ?
If your not interested in what people use for their hobby why comment
That's the same as saying why go to a meet to look at other people's cars because they might have a v8 or their car is newer!
For us that enjoy our hobby its interesting to see who uses what to achieve the shots they get
Its a pointless comment, its nothing to do with money it's to do with enjoying a hobby.
I for one go to Motorsport events and do Motorsport photography.
I'm sorry but a point and shoot £20.00 camera is not going to get the panning results I want.
The camera is a tool to improve our photography with, it's that simple!

That and a little bit of lens envy as well !!
Old 21st April 2013, 14:58   #27
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
This is silly who cares what kit anyone has? or is it just a mines bigger than yours mentallity or a I have more money than you, look what I've got mentallity.

After all you can take beautiful photographs with a point and shoot costing less than £20.

But just for the info I have a Canon eos 500D with a 50mm standard lens and a 70-210 Sigma zoom....but mostly use my pocket size Fujifilm AX550 16mp point and shoot which produces really nice shots even at a high resolution.

Having a good subject and the eye for a good shot is most important. The kit is secondary to all else.
I think it's interesting to see what other people use, what photography they like to shoot and the results they get with their chosen equipment. All very relevant.

Compacts these days are good but they still won't give the results a good outfit will give you. Having the right equipment is just as important as having good subject and a good eye, and also knowing how to use the equipment. Sticking a camera on auto will not get good results unless you get lucky.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 16:32   #28
kjw123
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Silly to whom ?
If your not interested in what people use for their hobby why comment
That's the same as saying why go to a meet to look at other people's cars because they might have a v8 or their car is newer!
For us that enjoy our hobby its interesting to see who uses what to achieve the shots they get
Its a pointless comment, its nothing to do with money it's to do with enjoying a hobby.
I for one go to Motorsport events and do Motorsport photography.
I'm sorry but a point and shoot £20.00 camera is not going to get the panning results I want.
The camera is a tool to improve our photography with, it's that simple!

That and a little bit of lens envy as well !!
I didn't say it wasn't interesting to read about what equipment others may use and I'm deffinately not envious of any lens you may have. I simply stated that it's not just down to equipment, that's the view all amatuers have. oohh!!!! I'll get me a bigger faster lens then it will make me look like a pro.....it won't get you better pictures though....whatever you say it still boils down to subject matter and skill.

As for a v8 no thanks, wouldn't want the fuel bill.

My Bonnie Connie from Donny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kjw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 16:44   #29
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't interesting to read about what equipment others may use and I'm deffinately not envious of any lens you may have. I simply stated that it's not just down to equipment, that's the view all amatuers have. oohh!!!! I'll get me a bigger faster lens then it will make me look like a pro.....it won't get you better pictures though....whatever you say it still boils down to subject matter and skill.

As for a v8 no thanks, wouldn't want the fuel bill.
The lens envy wasn't aimed at you, it was a joke!
Having studied photography at college doing 3d graphic design ' ok, it was a long, long time ago' I'm well aware that equipment a good photographer doesn't make.......But, your statement was it was silly to discuss what's in your bag as if no one should care!
This is the photography section of this forum so of course people may have an interest in what others use to take photos with.
If it were a Golf section for example I'm sure people would want to know what clubs they use !
Again, as stated I'm interested as someone who knows a reasonable amount about photography, what others are using to help them get 'THE SHOT'
Not least as having all the details of how people achieve a photo, meaning exif data, composition, time of day and equipment used may help someone achieve something similar
So the question remains, if your not interested in what people are using it doesn't mean others aren't.
Obviously the op was interested or he wouldn't have started the thread

Last edited by coolcat; 21st April 2013 at 22:05..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 21:56   #30
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Quote:

I got my 400D with a Dixons voucher I won, the Sigma lens was as explained above a huge bargain as was my speed light (very similar story to the lens), both my 35mm bodies and the FD lenses cost less than £50. Most I have spent of my own earned cash was on a battery grip. Trust me money is something I do not have but I do take pride in my kit and do like to share with like minded people. Any of my posts above are not meant to be Showing off in anyway apologies if they seem that way. But I do agree with your sentiment of great kit does not a great photo make. I've gotten very good shots on my Galaxy S2

Back on topic, add a 50mm f1.8 EF lens to my kit. Got it yesterday for my birthday

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote