Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2013, 17:44   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Hifi streaming issues

I've fairly recently bought a Denon hifi system, centering around this Network Audio player.. (actually, I've had it since January, but as I wanted all the work on our extension to be completed before installing it, I only tried it for the first time last week......)

So. Set it all up and initially had problems getting the unit to "speak" to the network due to firewall issues, but got this sorted without too much difficulty. Now the whole system comprises of the above mentioned Network Audio player, a CD player and a amp/receiver. CD is fine, amp is fine, FM reception is fine, DAB radio is fine, Internet radio is fine.

The problem is when streaming from music stored on my laptop. There's two choices here:-
  1. Connect directly to music on the HDD and choose tracks via the smallish display on the Denon
  2. Go into iTunes and, using Airplay, choose all the songs etc from the iTunes interface, then stream to the hifi

For the former, there's no problem. OK, the display is a bit tiny to see from the other side of the room, and navigation is clatty, but the sound is good, and there's no stuttering, buffering, stopping etc

So, my issue is when using iTunes and Airplay. Basically it is stuttering, buffering, stopping all the time and ruining the experience. Thought originally that it could be down to the wireless connection. The router is in the hallway, about 30 feet from the laptop and hifi, which are in the living room. Signal strength is showing an average of 82% here. So, have just tried moving the router (via a phone extension cable) temporarily into the living room and hardwiring via LAN into the Denon - this gave 100% signal. Still got the issues though. Last thing I have tried is a LAN from the laptop to the router as well, meaning full wired connections. With this setup (which is not practical and also defeats the streaming ideal) the music flows perfectly. However, unplug the LAN from the laptop and music instantly stops. Not surprising, but weirdly, switch the wifi off on the laptop whilst leaving the physical connections and it also stops!

It would seem from all this that the wireless setup is OK, as when not using Airplay the music is fine. But with iTunes and Airplay then the issues start. I don't think there's any buffering problems with iTunes itself, as played via the laptop speakers it's fine. So it's almost as if iTunes is spitting out it's dummy unelss there is 100% perfect connection 100% of the time....?

I can find precious little about these sort of issues online, so was hoping that an expert out there might read this and give me some advice!!
Old 25th May 2013, 13:46   #2
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

No ideas anyone?
Old 23rd November 2013, 16:56   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Good grief!

I'm still struggling with this and my first post (which sadly elicited no responses! ) was in May!

Anyway, I've now moved on a little bit with this in the hope that I can get it working properly, with the addition of a Western Digital NAS drive and a semi-wired connection from hi-fi to this unit (by which I mean LAN connection through the house wiring using a pair of BT Vision Powerline Adapters)

Basically the set-up is that the iTunes server software in installed on the WD NAS drive, alongside all of the MP3 music. The NAS is physically plugged into the router (EE Brightbox) which in turn is physically plugged into one of the BT adaptors, which then makes an effective hard-wired connection to it's pair, and finally this is physically connected to the Denon Network Player. So ultimately, the Denon is physically connected to the NAS drive upon which the music is being played from, and the whole thing is controlled from my laptop, which is wirelessly linked into the circuit

So, having set this all up, I sat back smugly anticipating that I would get seamless, stutter free playback. As my previous attempts had suffered connection break-ups every 30 seconds or so, I was feeling confident when it went over a minute - but then playback had a small glitch. Now any glitch is a glitch too many, but I was even more cheesed off when, at the two minute point, playback hung completely....

To say I am dischuffed is an understatement

If there's anyone out there who can offer a crumb of advice, I will take it gratefully!
Old 25th November 2013, 11:28   #4
Conkerman
Regular poster

Seat, Volvo and other animals.

OK.

Avoiding the 'don't use iTunes' reply that would be my first thought .

Have you tried connecting everything directly to the router? Take the powerline stuff out of the equation.

That would be my first step. Start with the simplest network possible and work from there.
Conkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:24   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for replying!

I think you are probably right about iTunes, although I would like to keep it if possible as it provides a means to "remotely" control what the Denon is playing

It would seem that iTunes/AirPlay, or at least the part that this plays in the system may be causing the issues. The layout of the system is basically:-
  • Media is stored on the WD NAS, in the form of MP3's, from memory most being 192kb
  • The NAS is plugged into the router via a standard LAN cable
  • The router is plugged into a Powerlink socket, again via LAN cable
  • The signal is then going via the household electrical supply to the other Powerlink socket, which is connected to the Denon Network Player via another LAN cable

Operating without iTunes (ie via the Denon interface) and taking iTunes out of the loop reveals that

a) The Denon will connect to the WD NAS and stream music without my laptop even needing to be switched on
b) I can play a whole album without a single drop-out!

With this experiment completed, it would seem that I either have to put up with using the clonky Denon interface (and squinting across the room to read the display!) or to find an alternative to iTunes that I can use to operate the system/choose tracks but still leave the connections as above

The quest continues!
Old 25th November 2013, 17:56   #6
Conkerman
Regular poster

Do you have any old routers kicking about?

A very quick google seems to suggest there are issues with airplay and certain routers.

I'll have a loom one the sprogs have been put to bed.

To add.
If you have an old router connect a computer to it and go into the menus and disable DHCP. This turns the router into a network switch.

Replace the EE router with the 'switch' and see if that works any better. I would seriously think about moving everything so you can discount an issue with the powerline adaptors.

There were definitely a few disgruntled people having drop outs with Airplay and routers seemed to be a factor.

Hope this helps, I may not have an answer straight away, but we can eliminate things one at a time!

Last edited by Conkerman; 25th November 2013 at 19:24.. Reason: Added stuff.
Old 25th November 2013, 22:21   #7
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for the extra info Gary

I'm 99% certain that AirPlay and/or iTunes is the issue now, with the network itself being fairly good!

I had a Denon app on my Smartphone, which was next to useless, but managed to get this working by downloading a newer version. It's a little flaky but does a reasonable job - sadly the interface on the phone is not as well featured as it appears here but thinking this will do the job until I find an alternative to iTunes to use on the laptop! At least it would appear that the network and it's connections are robust enough!

Thanks for the help!

Dave
Old 26th November 2013, 07:32   #8
Conkerman
Regular poster

One other quick thing to try.

Have you connected the laptop using a wire rather than wireless?

If the problems are mainly streaming from the laptop, you could well have some noise issues on your wireless.

If I would have read this properly in the first place I would have seen it. I blame babies!

Hit it up using the laptop over a LAN connection and report back.
Old 26th November 2013, 08:34   #9
stro
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Are you on fibre optics? as I had a similar experience with mains LAN adaptors. Had my TV connected via hdmi through a freeview recorder with a mains Lan connected in to the recorder. Had a lot of buffering and poor picture on streaming BBCi player ect so I abandoned the mains Lan adaptor and tried wireless and everything is working great now. My computer upstairs was also connected via one of these mains LAN adaptors and on the speed test was not that good so I hard wired a Lan connection and its flying now
stro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 12:28   #10
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkerman View Post
One other quick thing to try.

Have you connected the laptop using a wire rather than wireless?

If the problems are mainly streaming from the laptop, you could well have some noise issues on your wireless.

If I would have read this properly in the first place I would have seen it. I blame babies!

Hit it up using the laptop over a LAN connection and report back.
Yup, as in first post, I did try this (don't worry - I had to go back and read it again, as I have forgotten what I tried!)

Seems that, although the system works well in it's current format using the Denon itself (or it's app) for control, as soon as iTunes is part of the loop, it stalls. Doesn't seem to make sense, as the music is "flowing" perfectly around the network/hifi and you'd think that all iTunes is doing is selecting tracks, but it appears it is having more of a "say" in what is being played than that, and that it's not working well with the network and thus stuffing things up!

If I can find an alternative to iTunes (and get it to work) I'm thinking this'll be the answer!