Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2014, 00:06   #21
skull-candy18

Honda crx, Honda Civic, Yamaha TRX

I used to work in a hifi shop and I set up loads of streaming systems.
Routers were always an issue, many of our customer had to replace them.

We also never used iTunes, we used the Sonos app with Sonos gear and the Naim and Kinsky apps.
At home I'm using a western digital with tp link powerline adapters, down to a Sonos zp90 connected to a Rotel/kef system and a play 5 in a different room.

Any issue is fixed with just a reset.
skull-candy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 08:35   #22
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

does the demon do dlna? http://www.pcworld.com/article/24588...dows_7_pc.html
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 09:11   #23
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull-candy18 View Post
I used to work in a hifi shop and I set up loads of streaming systems.
Routers were always an issue, many of our customer had to replace them.

We also never used iTunes, we used the Sonos app with Sonos gear and the Naim and Kinsky apps.
At home I'm using a western digital with tp link powerline adapters, down to a Sonos zp90 connected to a Rotel/kef system and a play 5 in a different room.

Any issue is fixed with just a reset.
I'm currently trying the two router approach, having dug our old TP-Link router out. I don't fancy the complication of piggy-backing one to the other, but have currently set up the TP as a non-Internet network with just the Denon on, leaving the EE one for everything else. Trialling this, I did for a brief moment think I'd cracked it, as it streamed for 60 seconds instead of 42 before stalling, but then it kept repeating this

I'd also hoped I could set up two networks on my laptop too, using the built it wi-fi for Internet on the EE, and a D-Link dongle for the Denon network on the TP, but sadly each time I switch one network, it does a switch on the other too!

I would like to use something other than iTunes, but AirPlay seems to be a necessary evil for the Denon, plus any other solution, such as Twonky seems to be flaky (as in suddenly stops seeing the NAS drive and/or the Denon) and also doesn't appear to have any option to play albums in original track order
Old 26th January 2014, 09:15   #24
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Apparently, yes!

"DLNA Version 1.5 supported for audio network"

I've got a nasty feeling though that, although the link you have posted (for which thanks) seems to suggest a solution, it might not help in my case. It mentions Windows Media Player on Windows 7, but I'm still on Vista and I don't think I can get the relevant version of WMP to work on my system
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:53   #25
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Another update!

Been continually trying various options, with no success. Managed to find out how to contact Denon support by email (not obvious) and bandied a few things back and forth with them. In the end they suggested that the unit might be faulty. However, they couldn't simply swap it, rather it had to go back to the supplying dealer for testing... Didn't think that the dealer would accept this, but apparently the warranty is two years, so they did

So, sent it back (at a cost of £15 ) they tested it, but could find no fault, and thus they sent it to Denon, who also found no fault. I sort of guessed this would happen! They did say they had updated the software, but I wasn't optimistic and sure enough, when it came back, it was no better.

At this point, basically it was the same as before, as in it would work with it's own interface no problem at all, but bring in iTunes/Airplay and the stuttering became apparent. So the unit worked fine and the network was fine, pointing to a problem with iTunes and/or Airplay

My next plan was to borrow my mum's iPad to test it, but before I had a chance I got a surprise phone call from Denon Support. They more or less suggested the same thing, as in try a different computer. TBH, this was the one thing I hadn't tried, even though there was another computer three feet away from me most of the time, as in Gill's laptop!

So, I installed iTunes on that, and "knock me down with a feather" it worked perfectly! In fact it ran for over two and half hours yesterday with only two very tiny pauses......

It appears then, that my laptop is the culprit. Not sure what settings I have incorrect, or if there's some clashing software? I seem to recall that I can do a "Hijack This" log which can be analysed for information on this? Anyone here know anything about this software, or able to make any related suggestions on possible hardware or software clashes? I'd be very grateful!

Of course, Gill is having a whale of a time sitting there playing whatever music she decides we should have on, and happily extracting the Michael from me over having a piece of equipment for over a year and only now being able to use it properly!
Old 29th March 2014, 21:20   #26
ivorthedj
Avid contributor

ZT in nice Red

Had a quick flick through this thread to see if I can offer assistance as I work with hifi and especially streaming. The denon you use is the "client" and needs to see the files fed to it from the laptop or pc. The denon is probably needing to see a upnp server, which can be a small piece of software pointed at the iTunes library. Look at Asset which is free or the other is the Linn Songbox which should automatically find the ITunes library without any setup.

Then once running you should be able to navigate to linn songbox from the denons app or front panel.

Does the denon include some software that can run on a pc/mac?. If so this could be also what you need to make it work.

Any more info please just ask

Andy
ivorthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 07:48   #27
ianfletcher
I really should get out more.......

BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
It appears then, that my laptop is the culprit. Not sure what settings I have incorrect, or if there's some clashing software? I seem to recall that I can do a "Hijack This" log which can be analysed for information on this? Anyone here know anything about this software, or able to make any related suggestions on possible hardware or software clashes? I'd be very grateful!
Is the wireless network adapter on your laptop set to power saving as this will drop your connection to the internet, make your music buffer and then will play again once it's reconnected.

It's a common issue with laptops
ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 09:04   #28
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthedj View Post
Had a quick flick through this thread to see if I can offer assistance as I work with hifi and especially streaming. The denon you use is the "client" and needs to see the files fed to it from the laptop or pc. The denon is probably needing to see a upnp server, which can be a small piece of software pointed at the iTunes library. Look at Asset which is free or the other is the Linn Songbox which should automatically find the ITunes library without any setup.

Then once running you should be able to navigate to linn songbox from the denons app or front panel.

Does the denon include some software that can run on a pc/mac?. If so this could be also what you need to make it work.

Any more info please just ask

Andy
I'll have a look at this Andy, but I would like to be able to just use iTunes/Airplay as Gill can!
Old 30th March 2014, 09:06   #29
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher View Post
Is the wireless network adapter on your laptop set to power saving as this will drop your connection to the internet, make your music buffer and then will play again once it's reconnected.

It's a common issue with laptops
Laptop or actual router? If the latter then probably not, as Gill's system works fine. If the former, possibly. Not sure where to look but will have a delve now!
Old 30th March 2014, 09:26   #30
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Guess I need to be looking at the below?

MS Support suggests that there should be a slider

Quote:
Click the Advanced tab, and then modify the power management settings. For example, click Power Management in the Property list, drag the Value slider to the power management setting that you want to use, and then click OK.
but all I have is a check box.

Under "Advanced" there is a "Power Save Mode" in the list, but this has
  • CAM
  • Fast_PSP
  • Max_PSP

so not sure which of these I need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power.jpg (87.3 KB, 4 views)