Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2015, 19:57   #11
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

I have reserved my copy, I like trying new technology out so will be interesting to see how it compares with windows 8.
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:24   #12
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

I have to agree with rich, windows 7 is definitely the best programme. I have a Samsung laptop which came with windows 8 and I foolishly upgraded to 8.1 its absolutely garbage but I cannot revert back to windows 8.
I do have the icon to go for windows 10 but I am very hesitant. I don't want a bad job turning out worse
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:36   #13
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Like Rich I'm quite happy with win7, there's way too much that I'd loose, media centre for example, call me a stick in the mud but I think I'll be stopping with 7 for the time being.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:39   #14
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Windows 8 takes some getting used to, I have it on two laptops.
On other machines I have Win 7 Home and Win 7 Pro.
Windows 7 is going to be the "XP" operating system for a few years, but the time will come when as good as W7 is it will get left behind and not supported, then it`s move on time for all.
I cannot see Microsoft developing a Op Sys solely for the PC again.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:47   #15
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MBO View Post
Like Rich I'm quite happy with win7, there's way too much that I'd loose, media centre for example, call me a stick in the mud but I think I'll be stopping with 7 for the time being.
Media Centre is good, I used it for many years however to be honest Plex blows it into the weeds now, moved over almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. It's even supported on the Xboxes now!

I've been running W10 on a number of machines both in the office and at home for some months now and on the whole have very few problems with it. It's a LOT more usable then W8 on a desktop however feels a lot more modern then 7. In addition the device support is very comprehensive and even loaded with all the software I use it's still very fast, certainly quicker then 8 was on the same hardware. As an IT company we actively advised business customers against using Windows 8, it really was that bad however 10 really does impress after you get over the small differences from Windows 7.

As a small bonus Microsoft have said that anyone running the technical preview will receive a licence free of charge when it's finally released so if you want a cheap PC buy something like a Gigabyte Brix or Intel NUC and install the preview which will then save you the cost of a full licence. I would imagine Vista (yuk) users could also use the same trick to get an upgrade for free.
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:34   #16
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

I've been on Windows 10 for quite sometime now both for main PC at home and work laptops.
It's a lot better than previous pre-releases.

All our home machines (5) will be moved to W10 asap as the improvements are really like taking the best of Win7 and the good bits of Win8.1.

Like others have said, think of it as the next proper migration and that Win8 and 8.1 was similar to Vista.
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:42   #17
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraintUK View Post
I've been on Windows 10 for quite sometime now both for main PC at home and work laptops.
It's a lot better than previous pre-releases.

All our home machines (5) will be moved to W10 asap as the improvements are really like taking the best of Win7 and the good bits of Win8.1.

Like others have said, think of it as the next proper migration and that Win8 and 8.1 was similar to Vista.
I've got the invite for Win10 on 19 juli, and I'm up for some testing. Can you tell some more about the improvement between win10 and win 8(.1)?
I'm curious (besides the start menu) how much better it will be.
I'll probably give it a try on my spare laptop.
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:50   #18
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Dunno whether to go on it yet, running 8.1 but some programs from 7 and Vista won't load onto it. Maybe as said, 10 will the best of both.

Last edited by Heddy; 2nd June 2015 at 17:50.. Reason: Bloomin' spelling....again.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:13   #19
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Hi Vinnie,

Give it a whirl, best description I can give is that it actually works as intended and pretty flawless.
Not yet struck on Project Sparatan but it's not embedded itself like IE used to do.
It's also fast. fast to boot and fast to run.

Heddy - Won't make it any easier on apps whish you can't get working on 8l1 64 bit, but of course there has always been a way around that with application virtualisation. Not for the faint hearted home user, but i'm sure there must be some freebie virtual ones. iirc Oracle do a free virtual machine so you could run a Windows7 virtual machine in the backgroun purely to support older apps.
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 11:30   #20
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

I got the Win10 invite too. Unsure whether to take the plunge... currently on 64bit Win7.

My PC is a gaming and torrenting rig so my main concern is compatibility - will Steam, Rockstar and Origin DRM's like it and will Cyberhost continue to do it's thing...