Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2016, 08:45   #1
alan.timms
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Default "facelift" headlights going dim

The car is a "facelift" model and the headlights are normally pretty good, but they started going dimmer, inconsistently - garage diagnosed faulty voltage regulator and replaced the alternator. This initially improved things, but the lights soon went dim again - garage blamed defective replacement alternator and put in another new one, which initially improved things, but they soon went dim again. Two faulty new alternators seems unlikely - any suggestions, please? (yes, I have washed the lenses!)
alan.timms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:27   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.timms View Post
The car is a "facelift" model and the headlights are normally pretty good, but they started going dimmer, inconsistently - garage diagnosed faulty voltage regulator and replaced the alternator. This initially improved things, but the lights soon went dim again - garage blamed defective replacement alternator and put in another new one, which initially improved things, but they soon went dim again. Two faulty new alternators seems unlikely - any suggestions, please? (yes, I have washed the lenses!)
if it was just a faulty regulator then they should have replaced just that unit (less than £20 and half an hours work)...
I would look at chaffed loom over the drivers side front member (loads of pics and info on here).. a bad earth on the headlight plug looms or water ingress to the plug in the top of the LSM (light switch module).

Could also be the main earth point or a corroded connection to the exciter side of the alternator.

do the lights dim when you turn something in particular on? (heated rear screen, heated seats, stereo, blower or air con etc.)

Pop down to March and I can take a quick look for you....
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:45   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

All as Klarzy says above.

That garage knows NOTHING about checking alternators, and maybe other things as well. Give them a MISS next time you have a problem.

Hope you find the problem and have a Merry Xmas.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:46   #4
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.timms View Post
A classic example of a garage who simply change parts to diagnose a symptom, absolutely no interest in the use of common sense, and the costs are passed on to YOU, as said above, the probable cause is a bad earth and or chaffing of the loom to the units, if the garage had anything about them they would have known about it and sorted it instead chose the most expensive way.
Go back, ask them to check as suggested above, and as the alernator has made no difference ask for your money back,!!!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:20   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Chafing of the wiring is a common problem.

Off side near the washer bottle. The welded seam is usual culprit.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 18:13   #6
alan.timms
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Smile All sorted, thanks to Klarzy. Thanks to all for advice.

I took up Klarzy's offer to have a look. After it's trip to the garage yesterday he found: the end of the scuttle snapped off, the loom behind the o/s headlight trapped and kinked by incorrect fitting, corrosion in the n/s tail light plug, and the n/s main beam bulb working intermittently. Whilst he had the front bumper off he dismantled the light units, cleaned the projector lenses and polished the plastic covers, and even found time to make me a cup of coffee! The lights now work normally and the voltage has gone from 13.5 to 14.2. I'm going back in the new year to have a few other bits and pieces sorted out - result!!
Thanks again to Klarzy, and everyone who offered advice.
alan.timms is offline   Reply With Quote