Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th October 2016, 15:35   #1
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Default Anyone done Hill Climbing? MGF or similar?

I want to do some motor sport before I get too old and am thinking Hill Climbing might be affordable. I live Bout an hour from Prescott and have seen MG ZR's and MG F or TF's there in the past. I visited in October ( chatted to some of our members who are regular visitors) but there were no MG racers this time apart from modified Midgets.
I know quite a few of our Forum members have F's as well so thought I'd ask on here. Anyone any experience of Hill Climbing an F ?
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 17:37   #2
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart2050 View Post
I want to do some motor sport before I get too old and am thinking Hill Climbing might be affordable. I live Bout an hour from Prescott and have seen MG ZR's and MG F or TF's there in the past. I visited in October ( chatted to some of our members who are regular visitors) but there were no MG racers this time apart from modified Midgets.
I know quite a few of our Forum members have F's as well so thought I'd ask on here. Anyone any experience of Hill Climbing an F ?
Contact Neil Lock, one go the MGCC SW Centre committee members (see the website) Neil Hillclimbs a TF
MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 12:18   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Prescott Hill Climb is great fun. In the 1980's and 1990's it used to be a check-point on the RAC Classic Rally, and I have done it in an eclectic set of cars - 1966 Humber Imperial, 1969 Daimler 250 V8 and 1977 Triumph 2500TC.

Jaguar Enthusiasts Club have a day each May which whilst predominantly Jags, does allow other makes and I have seen a ZT climbing. For myself, I cheated and went up in my X Type 4 wheel drive, which was one of the fastest on the day last year!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:28   #4
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Me and the Father have competed in Hill climb for the last 6yrs.

Started out in his Lotus Sunbeam and moved onto hillclimbing a Alfa 155R, we are moving on this year to the Alfa championship but will still do a few sprints/hillclimbs.

Great fun and easy to get into, can be expensive though!
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 20:00   #5
Eric_m
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club 1.8T

Hi
I've being doing Hillclimbs for a few years now, I started in a standard road car ( Reliant Scimitar - it was a few years ago), was hooked and now have just finished my new car and been back out on the hills this year.
An MGF is an ideal car to have a go, don't worry about being the fastest to start with, enjoy the car and getting the most out of it. Once you have learned the hills, then see what cars would suit the class you want to compete in, and go for it.
The actual cost of competing is around £120 for the day at Prescott down to £80 or so for some of the smaller events. Prescott is very popular, which means you might struggle to get an entry, but your chances improve by being in a championship or even better becoming a member of the Bugatti Owners Club (who own the Hill).
I am a committee member of the HSA and they have a very useful starters guide on there website. http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/introspeed.asp

If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask.

My new car for this year, with the excellent tow car

And a picture of it in action at Crystal Palace this year

Its Mod Prod spec, Original Imp shell, Rawlson fibreglass bodywork fitted to a steel shell, with a 998cc Imp engine, Turbocharged and fuel Injected to produce 170 BHP at 8800 rpm. Jack Knight Dog box and running soft Slicks.

Really pleased with the year, car has been very reliable and car is fast, in fact scarily fast. I data logged the starts and it does 0-60 in 4.3 secs.

Cheers

Eric
Eric_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 09:09   #6
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Eric,

That is epic... it looks awesome, really good skill shots, do you do any other hill cimbs?
We reguarly used Harewood, Blyton (sprint) and a few others.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 19:55   #7
Eric_m
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club 1.8T

Tom
I've done a few of the hills around the country this year, Harewood, Barbon Manor, Loton Park, Gurston Down, Shelsley Walsh and also sprints at Crystal Palace & Curborough. I do like visit different tracks and next year I'm planning to do the Leaders Championship (Basically the British Hillclimb Championship without going to Ireland and the Channel Isles). This means some new hills ( Doune in Scotland for one) which means the Rover won't be having an easy time.
Harewood is one of my favorite hills, but I do really like Prescott, I was on holiday when our championship visited this year. It's a great hill to drive and the atmosphere and setting are brilliant.

Anyway back to the OP's question. When I came back to the sport about 12 years ago, a couple of guys turned up in an ex MGF Cup car and double drove it for a few seasons, really enjoying themselves and setting very good times. They both still compete but have moved on to sharing a OMS28 single seater with very good results. Be warned it could become serious.

Eric
Eric_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 19:57   #8
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_m View Post
Hi
I've being doing Hillclimbs for a few years now, I started in a standard road car ( Reliant Scimitar - it was a few years ago), was hooked and now have just finished my new car and been back out on the hills this year.
An MGF is an ideal car to have a go, don't worry about being the fastest to start with, enjoy the car and getting the most out of it. Once you have learned the hills, then see what cars would suit the class you want to compete in, and go for it.
The actual cost of competing is around £120 for the day at Prescott down to £80 or so for some of the smaller events. Prescott is very popular, which means you might struggle to get an entry, but your chances improve by being in a championship or even better becoming a member of the Bugatti Owners Club (who own the Hill).
I am a committee member of the HSA and they have a very useful starters guide on there website. http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/introspeed.asp

If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask.

My new car for this year, with the excellent tow car

And a picture of it in action at Crystal Palace this year

Its Mod Prod spec, Original Imp shell, Rawlson fibreglass bodywork fitted to a steel shell, with a 998cc Imp engine, Turbocharged and fuel Injected to produce 170 BHP at 8800 rpm. Jack Knight Dog box and running soft Slicks.

Really pleased with the year, car has been very reliable and car is fast, in fact scarily fast. I data logged the starts and it does 0-60 in 4.3 secs.

Cheers

Eric
That is one kick ass Imp.....love it
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 19:45   #9
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Thanks for your helpful comments guys.all bring well my little white F will be racing next year!
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote