Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th May 2021, 18:18   #21
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
I would imagine that for many on here the ZT / 75 is a hobby and perhaps costs are not the greatest consideration. Others like myself also have one as daily driver - in my case a ZT CDTi that averages 25k per year. Not particularly bothered how shiny it is so long as it is ultra reliable which it generally is.

My other hobby is railways and some of you are aware of my sole ownership of a standard guage steam locomotive. It last was in service on 31/12/20 and is now under overhaul: costs so far are not far short of £20k to include construction of a complete new 1,200 gallon (saddletank aka water tank), complete new smokebox and door, full set of boiler tubes, new mag drill (110v and mid sized industrial), two lots of road transport for the tank, paint and smaller bits. This all before the main boiler overhaul and replacement of the big end brasses - to give you an idea of scale, the cylinders are 18" diameter with a 26" stroke x 2 and the engine weighs 49 tons. Someone once said "to own a steam locomotive is the best way of turning a large fortune into a small one". Personally never had the former but as regards the latter i would be financially better off but over 40 years of ownership the enjoyment to me at any rate is incalculable.

Steve
Off topic but love to hear / see more about your steam engine - have you a thread about it?
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 20:01   #22
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
The "younger" the replacement car the more electronics there are likely to be and the more difficult/impossible/expensive it will be to look after.
I was using my 44 year old Triumph 2500 a few months back when it suddenly lost power and stopped. After a bit of head scratching I started it up again and off I went on my journey. A few miles later it conked out again. Repeated procedure until I got home

Next day determined it was a crack in the manifold which the engine heat would expand and cause air/fuel issues and thus loss of power. However, the car didn't know it should have illuminated the EML (I suppose it did go into limp mode though ). And if the handbrake should seize on the rear brakes then a gentle (or slightly less gentle) tap would probably release it at the princely cost of nowt!

No manufacturers emissions data and thus able to go into London for nowt! Of course this could change in the future.

A lot to be said for older cars but it all depends on spares availability.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 20:04   #23
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I keep meaning to look on how much I have spent on Banana over the last 11 years of ownership. Be over a grand I expect lol!!!!!!!

If you have the money and the love for the car then it’s best to get it done.
I have to keep a journal for each vehicle to enable me to have access to precise expenditure. My 260 costing started to rise quite radically after 8 - 10 years. Even worse now

Kev
Old 13th May 2021, 20:13   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post

Kev
Yes but the difference with old cars even if you have to get spares made the cost is often less than it would cost to buy some new parts for some modern boxes.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 20:24   #25
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Yes but the difference with old cars even if you have to get spares made the cost is often less than it would cost to buy some new parts for some modern boxes.
Some of the examples of to-days replacement/repair costs given in a few recent posts of late certainly would make one think.

How much would a rear screen cost for your Interceptor Steve?

Your lucky in some respects in that a good engineering company bought a lot of the plant/tooling from the administrators on Jensen's demise and many panels and parts can still be made if not already on the shelf.

I'm envious

Kev
Old 14th May 2021, 10:56   #26
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

If you love (like) your car, it’s a bit like swimbo. The only difference is you can talk it over with swimbo. Never tried that with the car but, I guess I would lose out every time there! That’s life I am sfraid.
Old 14th May 2021, 11:11   #27
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I was using my 44 year old Triumph 2500 a few months back when it suddenly lost power and stopped. After a bit of head scratching I started it up again and off I went on my journey. A few miles later it conked out again. Repeated procedure until I got home

Next day determined it was a crack in the manifold which the engine heat would expand and cause air/fuel issues and thus loss of power. However, the car didn't know it should have illuminated the EML (I suppose it did go into limp mode though ). And if the handbrake should seize on the rear brakes then a gentle (or slightly less gentle) tap would probably release it at the princely cost of nowt!

No manufacturers emissions data and thus able to go into London for nowt! Of course this could change in the future.

Kev
I'm sorry OP a little off topic.

My first employer after I left school to be an apprentice in a garage was Hungarian, he went back to see his family every so often and his pride and joy was a Triumph 2.5 pi estate, as an apprentice (I did all the manure jobs) he had me cleaning that thing every other day.
One summer he went to see family in Budapest in the pride and joy and on returning through Austria the diaphragm split on the fuel injection pump, it ran but very very rich, black smoke trails on acceleration and just 6mpg all the way back
The plugs were a bit black but otherwise no damage. he only ever used best petrol too (5 star).
It's a good job fuel was very cheap back in the early seventies and it was fixed before his wife could even unpack.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2021, 12:08   #28
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorksMG2013 View Post
Guys, I have a bit of a dilemma, which I'm sure other members are having similar thoughts/issues around.

I have an 04 plate ZT190 SE which has been my daily, away for the winter months, for quite a few years.
I am/was hoping to put her back on the road this month, but when I tot up the costs involved in that:

- VED £340
- Insurance c.£200
- MOT c.£50
- Service ?? (a couple of hundred as she also needs engine mounts replaced)
- Needs rear sills replaced (have components which I bought from Tom Hobbs last year)

I am wondering whether this is just too much to spend on a daily car?
I am looking at bills which equal (or exceed) the value of the car as she is now.
We do, however need something bigger and more flexible on the road than our Mini (which has been doing daily service recently)
What my lady doesn't realise is that to sell the car for £700-£800 it will have to be roadworthy (which means having to spend the £700-£800 to get it ready to sell)
On this basis I should just give it away! :-(

Any comments/thoughts?

Andrew
Fix it up and keep it for as long as you still enjoy using it, when the costs of maintaining outweigh the pleasure then sell and get a more modern car. The cost of VED is obscene!.

Last edited by grivas; 14th May 2021 at 12:09.. Reason: additional
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2021, 12:31   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

My 75 has not run up many miles in my ownership. When I bought it, I had use of a company car, so the 75 was for high days and holidays. Now I'm retired, I do many less miles, I travel free local on the bus, so not much need for the car for that.

Despite that, I keep it taxed, insured, MOT'ed and fit for the road. Cost is minimal, I have never had to spend any big money on it, so I could say I am in its debt.

I would not want a new car, I would not want the expense nor having to pay dealer services to maintain the guarantee.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2021, 14:34   #30
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Well Andrew had a good read through all the comments about your dilemma and if you do decide to sell give me a shout as it was one of my biggest regrets selling my 190se also in black

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote