Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2021, 22:06   #21
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

And knowing what is going on now with cars that have keyless locking, more than one way round it, I am sure we have nothing to worry about. More than one way of skinning a cat, as the saying goes.
Old 18th November 2021, 12:51   #22
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I have read on line that companies connected with motor sport and tuning are worried but ministers have said that they need not be and provision will be made to cover this. Concerns are for cars involved in rallying for obvious reasons. If they are allowed some mods on all cars should be allowed but may need to be done by approved companies. This may end the small man doing remaps.

On other comments re new cars, my car is connected to the web and downloads info to the manufacturer on all sorts of things including faults and driver styles (not so good) and up to 6 different drivers can be logged on. It also works the other way round in that software updates are down loaded to the car without needing to go to the dealers. This seems to take place about every 6 months. A couple of weeks ago I got a message that a software update was waiting to be downloaded. I had not noticed any changes in the car using E10 in fuel consumption or performance. The car is high geared in top gears not wanting to be in 4th below 33/35 and 5th 50 with 70 mph running at 2200rpm and 50 at 1500rpm about the same as 30 in 4th. Gives excellent fuel consumption with good acceleration with the turbo kicking in at about 1800rpm. Since the "re- map" the car is much more flexible to drive and I can now get into 4th at 29mph but still needs to be close to 50 to engage 5th.

With new cars having this level of communication I think its more likely to be these that are easily targeted with possibly OBDs being read at the MOT later down the line. Classics are going to be very hard to police as they do not need to see an MOT tester once over 40 years old any way.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 14:11   #23
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
My guess plugging into a cars OBD port will be part of the MOT test in the next few years. This will show up all those hidden faults that are being hidden by timed warning lights and of course will tell if EGR's are switched off ect.
I'm all for it. Imagine buying a car that unbeknown to you some idiot had rewired the alarm light of a failed SRS system to something that was working - you'd only find out in that split second after a major shunt.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 15:54   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I'm all for it. Imagine buying a car that unbeknown to you some idiot had rewired the alarm light of a failed SRS system to something that was working - you'd only find out in that split second after a major shunt.
The flip side to this will be a null warranty. 'Our data shows that you drove your car with 2psi less in the front right tyre for 126 hours. This proves a lack of maintenance sir, and therefore your seized engine is not covered'.

It will be a very fine line to tread.

Add to this, speeding fines could become automatic via gps, with no ability to appeal. Gps states you were on x road at x time. How could you disprove this? Eg missing the initial 40mph limit sign after a national speed limit dual carriageway, due to another driver swerving into your path or an over grown hedgerow (basic inattention wouldn't wash obviously lol).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 13:15   #25
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Very interesting read here

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote